Check out the first trailer for the Resident Evil movie reboot

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Sony has published the first official trailer for Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City, a reboot of the Resident Evil film series. The flick was written and directed by Johannes Roberts and is based on the events from the first and second game. It features a cast of largely unknown actors, and at times, the CGI looks a bit underwhelming. But let’s look past that for a moment.

Fans of the earlier entries in the franchise will immediately recognize direct callbacks to the first couple of games, like the scene with the zombie munching on a human corpse and the opening scene from the second game featuring the zombie-driven tanker truck.

The second half of the trailer is set to “What’s Up” by 4 Non Blondes and shows the team infiltrating the abandoned Spencer Mansion from the first game.

I can’t say for certain if it’ll be a “good” movie, but it certainly looks to cater to nostalgia-loving fans of the early franchise. Many of the original monsters appear in the trailer, and of course, there’s plenty of gore and foul to justify its R rating.

Roberts in an interview with IGN said he wanted to bring the horror back to the film franchise. "It was really important to me in this movie to scare people and to create a dark, creepy atmosphere that I felt that maybe had been missing from the previous movies, which were much more action,” Roberts added.

Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City hits theaters on November 24.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Some of the CGI RE movies have been better than the Hollywood RE movies so I wouldn't write it off just yet.

It's a shame they really dropped the ball after RE:Apocalypse.

Seems like something done by fans on youtube. Or something done by Uwe Boll.

Maybe but it can't get much worst than the Paul WS Anderson movies: those are ok if you enjoy them but he went out of his way to make sure he pissed off absolutely all fans of the games...Much like Uwe Boll does actually, just more competently in a technical sense.

Maybe but it can't get much worst than the Paul WS Anderson movies: those are ok if you enjoy them but he went out of his way to make sure he pissed off absolutely all fans of the games...Much like Uwe Boll does actually, just more competently in a technical sense.

True, but in any case, the standard is still very low.
RE on the games industry is one of the best acclaimed franchises. Both by critics and gamers alike.
But in cinema, it's always been lacking.
I admit I enjoyed the first RE movie, as a dumb action flick.
But I always thought the saga deserved better.

True, but in any case, the standard is still very low.
RE on the games industry is one of the best acclaimed franchises. Both by critics and gamers alike.
But in cinema, it's always been lacking.
I admit I enjoyed the first RE movie, as a dumb action flick.
But I always thought the saga deserved better.
Yep I think you summed it up pretty nicely on all accounts: as a cheesy, turn-your-brain-off flick RE and some of the sequels were ok. As in I wouldn't seek them out but if I was going to the movies with people and they wanted to see it I wouldn't object if there's nothing I really wanna see.

But then again I wasn't like out of my mind waiting to see a movie adaptation of the games so I had no investment on em.

Yep I think you summed it up pretty nicely on all accounts: as a cheesy, turn-your-brain-off flick RE and some of the sequels were ok. As in I wouldn't seek them out but if I was going to the movies with people and they wanted to see it I wouldn't object if there's nothing I really wanna see.

But then again I wasn't like out of my mind waiting to see a movie adaptation of the games so I had no investment on em.

I always took the previous RE series with a turn-brain-off and watch Milla bounce around on screen for 1.5hrs. I never took them seriously in any way, fan of the game series or not. And yes, I pretty much watched all of them just because Milla.

There was nothing wrong with the original movie. This one, on another hand, I wouldn't know where to start, perhaps with "why"?

A Resident Evil movie without Milla Jovovich just isn't right.
No she was never meant to be there to begin with but Paul WS Anderson wanted to make her his wife and keep her actually working.

Making the main cast of the games side characters with little development was a mistake.

This looks cheesy in a lot of ways but at least they had the decency to try and tell the story we know with the characters we love.

Looks like a more proper imagining. The previous series was fine, but seemed to be way off from the story. Maybe this series will stick tighter to the script.

Back