Check out the second official trailer for Ghost in the Shell, in theaters March 31

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The live-action remake of Japanese anime classic Ghost in the Shell is rapidly approaching as evident by this, the arrival of the film’s second official trailer.

Directed by Rupert Sanders, Ghost in the Shell stars Scarlett Johansson as The Major with a supporting cast that includes Pilou Asbaek, Rila Fukushima, Michael Pitt and Takeshi Kitano. Based on this latest clip, the film looks to explore The Major’s past – specifically, the version of events the government has provided and how it starkly contrasts what villain Kuze claims actually happened.

First published in 1989, the Ghost in the Shell franchise now spans multiple media platforms and has served as a strong influence for a number of other hit series such as The Matrix. The latest entry in the franchise is scheduled to hit theaters March 31, 2017.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

There were three categories of movie:

1. Must see.
2. Wait for DVD
3. Pass.

Given the previews of this movie as well as the indicated narrative, we now have a fourth:

4. Hard pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
There were three categories of movie:

1. Must see.
2. Wait for DVD
3. Pass.

Given the previews of this movie as well as the indicated narrative, we now have fourth:

4. Hard pass.
Actually there is a 5th option, between 2 and 3 but often overlooked especially if you are a cord cutter: "Accidentally watch on cable"

As much as I like Scarlett Johansson I still think she was a wrong choice, I would much rather see Rinko Kikuchi in the role, I really liked her in pacific rim.

As someone who has no prior knowledge of the series, I'm mildy interested after watching the trailer.

I assume I'm the majority of the target market and Scarlet makes it more interesting and approachable to me.

As someone who has no prior knowledge of the series, I'm mildy interested after watching the trailer.

I assume I'm the majority of the target market and Scarlet makes it more interesting and approachable to me.

People who haven't seen the anime are exactly who they are targeting.

As much as I like Scarlett Johansson I still think she was a wrong choice, I would much rather see Rinko Kikuchi in the role, I really liked her in pacific rim.

The irony is that SJ actually *does* have a passing resemblance to Kusanagi - well, as much as an Anglo can. Anime tends to Westernize faces quite a bit, although GITS is a lot better about this than even most other "realistic" anime. Nevertheless, if you put Scarjo and any nine other Caucasian girls with black, straight hair in a lineup, she would be the best whitewash option 99% of the time. Hell, who knows? Maybe they'll have some cool reason that she looks that way. Perhaps the JP model of ultra-advanced cyborg body was out of stock when she was cyberized, LOL. (Of course more recent Ghost stories have shown that at least some generations of cyborgs have swappable faces, so..)

The irony is that SJ actually *does* have a passing resemblance to Kusanagi - well, as much as an Anglo can. Anime tends to Westernize faces quite a bit, although GITS is a lot better about this than even most other "realistic" anime. Nevertheless, if you put Scarjo and any nine other Caucasian girls with black, straight hair in a lineup, she would be the best whitewash option 99% of the time. Hell, who knows? Maybe they'll have some cool reason that she looks that way. Perhaps the JP model of ultra-advanced cyborg body was out of stock when she was cyberized, LOL. (Of course more recent Ghost stories have shown that at least some generations of cyborgs have swappable faces, so..)
I agree about scarjo being a good choice if they have to use an anglo actress as she has the chops and the fanboy cred to play such a character but it would have been nice to see them use a japanese actress if only to show some respect to the origins of the genre and Rinko Kikuchi, in my eyes would have been a really good choice.

Pretty sure all the training SJ has done for the Black Widow roles has something to do with it.

Back