Checkdisk wont work, can't lock disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

vavash

Hello. kimsland recommend i try this form to help me with my problem.
A link to the thread for all the things we already tried techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=750143

I first found it out when i tried to run Defrag i got an error message sayin
" Disk defragmentter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume: (C: ).
Please run Chkdsk /f. "

When i tried to run Chkdsk /f I got this error message

"The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the net time the system restarts y/n"

It did not run after a restart

I've tried to run both chkdsk and the defrag in safe mode, and both would not work, including the running chkdsk when restarted.

And I'm not sure if this is related but i have a file that is "corrupted and unreadable" the file is C:\WINDOWS\$N44E4~1.SH!\fltmgr.sys and cannot delete or repair it.

real quick about my computer. its a dell inspiron E1505 running windows xp media center edition with service pack 3. I have two hard drives my main drive C: and my back up drive D:
note, I don't have problems running defrag or check disk on the D: drive. Only on the C: drive

Thanks for taking your time to read this, and if you have any ideas what i can do to solve this problem

-Chris

I did all 8 steps and attached the log reports

Hi there vavash

Firstly, I would suggest that you back-up any important information you have stored on the C: .... Problems of this nature usually indicate HD damage / boot sector viruses and eventually lead to loss of critical data.

I see that you've tried a Chkdsk /f (which does not work) .... this is used to repair errors without scanning the drive for bad sectors ....

Try doing a Chkdsk /r .... this will scan for bad sectors, repair errors, and also recover readable information on the disk (this implies a Chkdsk / f and so I'm doubtful as to whether it would work either).

You can try downloading Defraggler as well to try and get the defrag done .... http://www.defraggler.com/download .... Disable System Restore before the defrag and then if it is completed, turn it back on ....

Alternatively, you could wait for a response on the logs you've posted. Hope this helps!

Spyder_1386 :)

The downloaded defrager worked! I never though of downloading another one, thinking it would have the same problem. And no the chkdsk /r didn't work it still won't lock the disk. After defraging I still get the same error messages but at least now my computers running faster.
thanks again
-vash

hi again vavash

Follow the instructions on this page .... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555484 ....

If you have any of the following products installed, please deactivate or disable them before trying to run a chkdsk: ZoneAlarm, Spyware Doctor and any anti-virus / anti malware / anti spyware software.

Spyder_1386 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back