Checking out Lian Li's PC chassis table and other cases at Computex

Scorpus

Staff member

Earlier today I swung by Lian Li’s booth at Computex 2014, and they had a number of cool PC cases on show, including a number of crazy PC chassis of varying sizes integrated into tables. The showcase product was a massive desk that has enough space for two separate PCs: one using a standard ATX board, and another using a mini-ITX board.

There’s enough space in the case for a whopping 16 storage drives, eight 120mm fans, high-end graphics cards, reasonably large coolers, and two PSUs. Accessing the PC components is easy with the bottom part of the desk sliding out, and there’s space behind the tray for power boards and cable management. It’s well made, strong if chunky, and comfortable to sit at and game with the keyboard and mouse situated on the attachable panel.

The case, called the DK-02, isn’t cheap though, costing over $1,100 which will put it out of reach of most buyers.

Some of the other new and tweaked cases Lian Li had on show feature clever modular designs, where panels and trays are removable to suit your needs or to make PC building easier. The cube case below had a removable acrylic panel on the top as well as side panels that slide out, and it also looks great with the signature fantastic Lian Li construction.

Another case on display at Computex isn’t quite ready for release, but it’s a modular test bench where you can swap around the position of the motherboard tray and fan array.

A new slimline tower case was shown, compatible with mini-ITX motherboards and small discrete GPUs. When fully closed the aluminium case looks fantastic and is well suited to those looking for a small PC case that can still carry powerful components, perhaps as a living room gaming system.

Finally, Lian Li was showing off a second case that has enough space for two separate systems inside, this one being a more traditional large tower in the shape of a cube. Designed for hardcore enthusiasts, the case will eventually go on sale for somewhere around $400.

Permalink to story.

The infamous BBQ in action, already feel the smell of something burning... :)

I pointed at earlier at the design flaw that doesn't allow any room for mouse + keyboard cables, and here we are, wireless both, how practical of them.

So many USB-s on the front panel, and not one Thunderbolt or SATA Express or FireWire.

If you are so smart, make something better and get rich instead of complaining.

I'm stacking up all the complains, to sell them as a collection, buy them and make me rich ;)
We are all good at something...

Here's another one for you...

In all my years I had two desktops that caught fire, yet none came with an extinguisher. I think this one definitely should! ;)

I'm stacking up all the complains, to sell them as a collection, buy them and make me rich ;)

In all my years I had two desktops that caught fire, yet none came with an extinguisher. I think this one definitely should! ;)

I think if you have had 2 systems catch on fire, you should stop building your own systems.

The infamous BBQ in action, already feel the smell of something burning... :)

I pointed at earlier at the design flaw that doesn't allow any room for mouse + keyboard cables, and here we are, wireless both, how practical of them.

So many USB-s on the front panel, and not one Thunderbolt or SATA Express or FireWire.
You know I really think Lian Li onto something here, all you need to do is chuck in a mobo with an overclocked & over volted i7 3970X, bolt on 2 x R9 290X's (because these parts are famous for running so hot), replace the glass top with a BBQ grille, find somewhere else to place your screen/s, start up the machine, load your favourite game, chuck on the meat (no need to even make a fire) and you can play to your hearts content without having to pause your game to see how the steaks are coming along. The more inventive among us can even tack on a 12v motor and transform the case into a spit BBQ with very little effort.(y) As I pointed out earlier, Lian Li were even so thoughtful as to include pegs from which to hang your utensils. Who knows, in the MK2 version they may even include a spice rack.:p

Last edited:
I think if you have had 2 systems catch on fire, you should stop building your own systems.

The first one was AMD processor overheating, and the second one was nVidia card catching fire out of the blue. We all know AMD wasn't very good handling thermal issues back in the days, but perhaps we should tell nVidia they should move to a new business also... or you can tell them yourself ;)

The first one was AMD processor overheating, and the second one was nVidia card catching fire out of the blue. We all know AMD wasn't very good handling thermal issues back in the days, but perhaps we should tell nVidia they should move to a new business also... or you can tell them yoursel

I don't know man. You're the only one I have heard of with these fire stories. Maybe buy retail parts from now on.

The first one was AMD processor overheating, and the second one was nVidia card catching fire out of the blue. We all know AMD wasn't very good handling thermal issues back in the days, but perhaps we should tell nVidia they should move to a new business also... or you can tell them yoursel

I don't know man. You're the only one I have heard of with these fire stories. Maybe buy retail parts from now on.

lol

Is it only my imagination but most of Lian Li's design resembles with the case design from Japanese manufacturer, right?

Then you started buying Macs...

Do you have a model number for the last case pictured, the one that supports 2 systems?

Back