China bans children under 16 from livestreaming

Daniel Sims

Staff
In context: China has announced it will ban those under the age of 16 from streaming online. This is just the latest restriction China's government has announced to try to control childrens' interactions with video games and the internet.

The South China Morning Post reported that China's state council published a new set of national guidelines as part of a 10-year plan for childrens' development. These guidelines said online services, including livestreaming services, should try to limit how much time and money kids spend online. Livestreaming providers are banned from letting those under age 16 register as livestreamers. These rules will be enforced through a nationwide unified ID system that will manage how minors play games.

This follows other restrictions and comments from China's government and state-run media that have targeted games and other electronic services.

In early August, state-run Chinese media referred to online games as addictive and called for restrictions to be placed on them, which cut Tencent's value by almost $60 billion. Later that month China banned minors from playing video games at all during the week, imposing new rules saying they could only play games one hour each on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. Before, they could only play games for an hour and a half a day during weekdays. In response, hundreds of Chinese gaming companies pledged to follow the new rules.

Soon after, Tencent and NetEase lost over $60 billion of stock value combined in a single 24-hour period. Tencent told Bloomberg that it agrees with the regulators. "We appreciate the guidance and instruction from the relevant regulators and will work hard to be in full compliance with all rules relating to youth game addiction and content regulation," the company said in a statement.

Permalink to story.

Call me cynical, but I believe this just might be more about the "nationwide unified ID system" and controlling who can have a streaming platform, more than just "save the kids."

Call me cynical, but I believe this just might be more about the "nationwide unified ID system" and controlling who can have a streaming platform, more than just "save the kids."

Of course this isn't about saving the but about total control, I still can't believe that 1.4 billion people let themselves being controlled so easily...

Of course this isn't about saving the but about total control, I still can't believe that 1.4 billion people let themselves being controlled so easily...
It's that or death. Ain't no one telling China no. That includes any other country trying to tell them how to run their country. It's not going to happen. So the world sits back n watches. Some may follow, others won't. In the end, it's their laws, their land, their ways. You'd literally have to go to war if ppl want them to change any of their ways. We all know that ain't happening.
People can blame China for things but the human race is the cause of its own demise. To many hate, people starving, no clean water or clothes, people aren't staying clean to stop any diseases and then there's murder. This world is so out of control. The world needs some order n when things go bad government's will step in. They will do things their way. Rights will be violated if you even have any. In chaos, the only rights you will have is to defend yourself.
Stay safe in this world, try to do and be better.

It's that or death. Ain't no one telling China no. That includes any other country trying to tell them how to run their country. It's not going to happen. So the world sits back n watches. Some may follow, others won't. In the end, it's their laws, their land, their ways. You'd literally have to go to war if ppl want them to change any of their ways. We all know that ain't happening.
People can blame China for things but the human race is the cause of its own demise. To many hate, people starving, no clean water or clothes, people aren't staying clean to stop any diseases and then there's murder. This world is so out of control. The world needs some order n when things go bad government's will step in. They will do things their way. Rights will be violated if you even have any. In chaos, the only rights you will have is to defend yourself.
Stay safe in this world, try to do and be better.
My very thoughts.

When punishment includes you and your whole family becoming slaves in worker slave camps till you die (if you are not just killed immediately), I don't think there will be many who will revolt.

China looks to america, sees what happens when entire generations get addicted to vidya and the community surrounding them, and decides to put a stop to it.
Believe it, such a system is coming to the states as well, its just a matter of time.

Same here. Not my country, not my business. Just wish ALL countries would mind their
own business.
A country and probably just about all have something another wants. So while most countries WILL mind their own business, however, if their is business interest to be had or saved, countries will fight for it. Not to save the people but to make a profit.
It's not as simple as just minding your own business if you have stake in a country. The world is a business and profit n power is what they ALL seek.

Back