China complains about the CHIPS Act, again: claims double standards and Cold War mentality...

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Not for the first time, China has complained loudly about the US CHIPS Act, calling it "double standards" on the United States' part that shows a "Cold War mentality." A Chinese representative bemoaned the act and the US' recent moves to further tighten restrictions on semiconductor-related exports to China at this week's World Trade Organization's Committee on Subsidies and Countervailing Measures.

The US Senate passed the CHIPS Act in July last year. President Biden signed it into law a month later, giving the domestic semiconductor-production industry a $53 billion boost in the form of subsidies that will go toward the construction of new fabs.

The South China Morning Post reports that a Chinese representative at the WTO said such industry subsidies allow the US to "interfere with the allocation of market resources" and shows the country's "double standards," a reference to US chip-export restrictions on China.

The representative added that the US' behavior had "severely disrupted the global semiconductor supply chain," and showed Washington's "Cold War mentality and hegemonic behaviors" that damage not just China but also the US and its allies.

China is also angry over the US completing two years of negotiations with the Netherlands and Japan in January that will see the countries impose their own restrictions on the export of chip-manufacturing tools to China. The Netherlands made an official announcement for its new rules in March.

Beijing asked the WTO to review the Japan-Netherlands agreement last month, complaining that it may have violated "the principle of openness and transparency." China has also initiated WTO dispute proceedings against the US over its export restrictions.

This isn't the first time China has spoken out against the CHIPS Act. The country used the same Cold War comparison back in August, while also calling parts of the Act discriminatory against the Asian nation – a section of the CHIPS Act states that any of the tech firms that wish to access the $53 billion fund won't be allowed to make chips on a 28nm or smaller process node in the country.

"It [the CHIPS Act] contains essentially discriminatory clauses in market competition and creates an unfair playing field, which goes against the WTO's fair-trade principles," said Yu Xiekang, vice chairman of the China Semiconductor Industry Association, at the time.

In April, we heard about the adverse effects that CHIPS Act is having on China's chipmaking ambitions, which partly explains why it's so angry at the US.

Permalink to story.

I have been to China as well as in Japan many, many times. I have also worked there.

Although the Chinese are unlike the Japanese -as in they are not as formidable and disciplined- they still scare me in a way the Russians never did.

I believe the West will go to war with China in the future and I also believe that we will suffer and many of us will die because of them.

Therefore, I consider the actions of the US Govt with respect to the "Chips Act" entirely correct and justified if belated. It will delay them a little an d maybe buy us some time to prepare.

Also see: "2034: A Novel of the Next World War" by USN Adm. James George Stavridis

I have been to China as well as in Japan many, many times. I have also worked there.

Although the Chinese are unlike the Japanese -as in they are not as formidable and disciplined- they still scare me in a way the Russians never did.

I believe the West will go to war with China in the future and I also believe that we will suffer and many of us will die because of them.

Therefore, I consider the actions of the US Govt with respect to the "Chips Act" entirely correct and justified if belated. It will delay them a little an d maybe buy us some time to prepare.

Also see: "2034: A Novel of the Next World War" by USN Adm. James George Stavridis
The West has a lot to be afraid since they are stirring every pot they can and fear repercussions. If they mind their own business, they won't have to be afraid of anyone, but sadly the West cannot help itself playing world police. And sadly they will meet their maker soon.

We should have a Cold War mentality with China since they are very much not our friends. Our government didn't care and has been selling us out to that country for decades now, and we've reached a very precarious position and the current administration still seem hell bent on charging over the edge despite these moves (CHIPs act, etc.).

China isn't complaining out of a sense of unfairness; they're doing it because it stymies their goals which are very contrary to the interests of our security and safety.

"the principle of openness and transparency."

China's dictatorship is a global leader in having no openness or transparency. China is also a dumper of products in order to destroy global competition so it can take the market share. It also uses massive nontransparent state subsidies across all industries, why is that not covered in the article?

On a more general note:

https://rsf.org/en/index

The situation with press freedom in Ukraine improved (79, +27).

This year, Russia fell by 9 positions and is now occupying 164th place.

The last positions in the rating are occupied by Asian countries such as North Korea – 180th place, China – 179th place, and Vietnam is in 178th place.

The best situation is in European countries: Norway (1), Ireland (2), Denmark (3), Sweden (4) and Finland (5).

I mean, that would be right, if China wouldn't be a very dangerous dictatorship, actively endangering surrounding countries, and their own citizens. I genuinely like a lot of Chinese products and being there multiple times I like a lot of normal Chinese people. At the same time I dislike their very 'light' approach to intellectual property, and the huge a mount of brainwashed citizens which unfortunately overshadowing those which are still friendly and open-minded. China is at the best way to the fully utopian, controlled and micromanaged society trained to follow will of the communistic party. And while I really enjoyed my time there, and made a lot of good friends, and I'm not a fan of US expansive policy, I have to agree with this approach as it looks like China might be next main destabilising force, with much more destructive potential than Russia could ever be.

Don't be so naive as to argue with obvious Chinese trolls. He is not refuting you in good faith.
In China and Russia the truth is literally illegal.

They all live inside a digital prison where the outside internet is all blocked and they are fed a russia-sino fake reality

The simple fact is every news piece you read is propaganda. Read Chinese stuff - propaganda, read Korean (North/South) - propaganda, Japan - propaganda, Europe - propaganda, Africa - propaganda, South America - propaganda, North America/USA/Canada/whatever - propaganda.

The truth is everyone wants to control us so they feed you lies, preferably lies we want to hear. They lie to us about politics, religion, war, diseases. The best way to control people is to make them fear. The second method is "divide and conquer" make people argue with each other about useless things like political correctness and so forth so there are divided in different groups and are too busy to argue with each other who's right and who's wrong and are too absorbed by this to notice that they are all being lied and controlled.

The only possible way to find some truth is to read a news piece from all possible sides of propaganda and then try and read between the lines, you may be able to get some truth out of it. But trusting one side 100% is just delusional and shortisighted.

The simple fact is every news piece you read is propaganda. Read Chinese stuff - propaganda, read Korean (North/South) - propaganda, Japan - propaganda, Europe - propaganda, Africa - propaganda, South America - propaganda, North America/USA/Canada/whatever - propaganda.

The truth is everyone wants to control us so they feed you lies, preferably lies we want to hear. They lie to us about politics, religion, war, diseases. The best way to control people is to make them fear. The second method is "divide and conquer" make people argue with each other about useless things like political correctness and so forth so there are divided in different groups and are too busy to argue with each other who's right and who's wrong and are too absorbed by this to notice that they are all being lied and controlled.

The only possible way to find some truth is to read a news piece from all possible sides of propaganda and then try and read between the lines, you may be able to get some truth out of it. But trusting one side 100% is just delusional and shortisighted.
This is what China and Russia want you to believe. It is a core part of their disinformation, they want you to question your own leaders and country because they know its impossible to sway many people in free societies to believe their internal propaganda because its so crazy and unbelievable. China and Russia live in a fake reality built for them by their single source of information dictatorships.

Certainly, there is propaganda everywhere but we also have good and bad sources, government and independent private sources. The big thing is we can openly debate or critisise what is being said in free socities, if you question or debate anything the governments in china and russia say then you end up in prison or labor camps in those places.

You try to create a false equivalence which is what the chinese and russian shills need to do because their positions are fake and unbelievable.

China is in the process of a massive military build up. Aircraft carriers, nukes, fighter jets, you name it. Not to mention they're claiming the south China sea's international waters as their own. If that isn't a "cold war mentality", I don't know what is. So, maybe we need to talk about a "SALT" treaty with China.

IMHO, the CHIPs act couldn't come soon enough. Big business is selling America out from the inside. Even Musk is making his friggin' Teslas in China. (I guess he thought no one would notice.

With those things out of the way, (and to lighten the mood?), here's an old Jackson Browne ditty called, "For America". You may have to listen a couple of times to catch his drift. Clue, he's coming at it from all sides. Civil tights, propaganda, et al..

This is what China and Russia want you to believe. It is a core part of their disinformation, they want you to question your own leaders and country because they know its impossible to sway many people in free societies to believe their internal propaganda because its so crazy and unbelievable. China and Russia live in a fake reality built for them by their single source of information dictatorships.

Certainly, there is propaganda everywhere but we also have good and bad sources, government and independent private sources. The big thing is we can openly debate or critisise what is being said in free socities, if you question or debate anything the governments in china and russia say then you end up in prison or labor camps in those places.

You try to create a false equivalence which is what the chinese and russian shills need to do because their positions are fake and unbelievable.
You are wrong on pretty much all points, but there is no use trying to correct you. It's your life.

You are wrong on pretty much all points, but there is no use trying to correct you. It's your life.
My life is in a free and prosperous society. Its a really good life.

I am correct on all points

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/xi-jinping-ap-china-washington-communist-party-b2332942.html China biggest global jailer of journalists

The truth is illegal in china and Russias dictatorships:

https://archive.is/2023.05.03-224113/https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/acton-institute-jimmy-lai-documentary-tiktok-suspension-shou-zi-chew-robert-sirico-china-hong-kong-bb507f4a

Wouldn’t want too many people to know much about the blatant human rights abuses the regime is constantly up to… this guys crime was supporting democracy in Hong Kong. Uncensored: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRkuv-fOV7k

Nothing coming from the chinese or russian dictatorships can be trusted. TikTok cannot be trusted either, they cover up chinese and russian genocide and crimes against humanity, they censor on behalf of the criminal governments of china and russia

Back