China's latest directive bans satirical spoofs of 'classical literary and art works'

Polycount

Staff

China's government isn't exactly known for tolerating silliness or dissent. This has become even more evident with the Community Party's latest decision which, according to Reuters, has banned videos that "distort, mock or defame classical literary and art works."

It's not entirely clear what China's government considers "classical literary and art works" but examples of banned actions could include dubbing over a "classical" video with a satirical voice-over. Regardless, China's new rules don't stop there.

The Communist Party's latest directive also mandates that all videos must emphasize the "fine traditional Chinese culture" and "love, emphasis on the people, integrity, justice, harmony and no worshiping of money or other bad habits."

"It means a lot of content makers will have to transition and make their content more serious," said Beijing-based analyst Wu Jian. "For 'extra urgent' [notices] like this, you have to act immediately. Those who don't comply in time will immediately be closed down."

Interestingly, this directive was classified as "extra urgent," meaning all video hosts must comply with the new rules immediately. "It means a lot of content makers will have to transition and make their content more serious," said Beijing-based analyst Wu Jian. "For 'extra urgent' [notices] like this, you have to act immediately. Those who don't comply in time will immediately be closed down."

These rules will likely go into effect across all of China's major video sites. However, it's unclear whether or not video websites will be carrying out potential bans themselves or if China's publicity department, which recently gained control over the country's film and publishing industry, will handle the crack down instead.

Permalink to story.

What's striking is how different countries practice different forms of censorship based on different cultural trends. I see also today that Craigslist has shut down its personals section in response to a heavy handed and probably counterproductive initiative by Congress.

The Chinese initiative is well-meaning, but to have it come about through government censorship is something that our Western contemporary values find disquieting.

Well Mr @H3llion While I can grasp the humor in you portrayal of my sentiments toward the pure undiluted, offensive, racist, profane, non melodic sh!t being passed off as "music" n America today, the rest of the world and its youth, aren't all that in sync with it.

Brace yourself, there's no profanity, no mention of "da hood", da block", nobody has a "nine", or any other part of the paramount features and most important part of American culture, life in the African American ghettos.

And BTW, many of the vocalists are opera trained. Point being, they actually sing,in lieu of merely running their yaps.

You fail to understand to purpose of music Cranky. I don't disagree that todays top40 charts are oversaturated with ****, but each genre has something within it that is gold. Whether it is RAP, Metal, Reggae, Electronic, Classical, Spoken Word or whatever else.

now compared to this:

The more languages you know the bigger person you are. Same applies to any kind of wide knowledge of different art forms.

You fail to understand to purpose of music Cranky. I don't disagree that todays top40 charts are oversaturated with ****, but each genre has something within it that is gold. Whether it is RAP, Metal, Reggae, Electronic, Classical, Spoken Word or whatever else.

The more languages you know the bigger person you are. Same applies to any kind of wide knowledge of different art forms.

That is a funny statement,my little brother has a good government job ,a couple kids ,big house in the nations capital,and speaks 4 or 5 different languages ,over all, a decent member of society,but cares only about himself and is generally sh!t for a human being.pretty big for a person or pile of Dung,depending on the viewing angle. there are only a couple of letters differing a pile and a pillar , what some consider art ,some do not.

now the bigger person you are. Same applies to any kind of wide knowledge of different art forms.
No, I think I very well understand the purpose of music, and I picked up several "languages" over the years. "golden oldies" , "the British invasion", California country rock from such notables as Jackson Browne and the Eagles, along with prog rock from Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, along with many others, world music from Loreena Mckennitt and others, Bach organ fugues, all forms of country, and country folk derivatives.

While I have heard some humor in hip-hop, and I enjoy L.L.Cool J, as an actor on NCIS Los Angeles, when he opens his mouth the create music, the channel gets quickly changed.

A psychologist once put forth, the theory that the exaggerated walking styles exhibited by ghetto dwellers, were basically a derivation of an animal's device to establish a territorial circle of defense, and that made a lot of sense to me. So when you add the pounding 3 note rhythm box generated bass, and exaggerated stage posturing, along with a constant barrage of profanity, featuring the "N word", (which by the way, when I speak it, it would be considered "hate speech" by "the reverend Al Sharpton", you come up with a whole package of zoologically derived behaviours, which manifest nothing more than someone attempting to establish a sovereign territory, while badgering the current king for an opportunity to engage in mortal combat, to establish who will be the ultimate ruler of "the tribe". (Oops, I meant "gang").

Please don't condescend to me with your cutsie pie little "get off my lawn" video again. The "get off my lawn" issues I do have, are a bunch of drunken, crackhead, Aborigines, pissing all over the sidewall of my house, while they're stealing whatever they can out of my car. Who really need the cops called on them, since they lack both respect and the ability to reason, or empathy Something simple, succinct, and polite, such as, "please put your d!ck away, and get off my property", simply doesn't work.

In short, don't try to explain the ghetto, or its "culture" to me, I live in one. It's filled with useless, stupid, lazy, people, whose main purpose in life is to collect government entitlements, while they pitch crack and heroin out their front doors, 24/7, to "supplement their incomes".

So, by the time "hip-hop" hits my hood, any humor or cultural value has been filtered out of it, and it's nothing more than a string of racist profanity, with that nasty old "N word" being repeated at least once every four bars, held together by the most infantile grade school rhythm of exaggerated bass notes, and a "language" which I consider worthless to learn, and better if I could avoid it completely.

I'll grant you that there might be, (and I've even been exposed to wry social commentary within the hip-hop context, my exposure to what's left, which always seems to be the most senseless, pointless, and profane examples of the genre, is never going to do it for me as a mainstay of my musical entertainment.

Last edited:
Sarcasm is considered by some to be a very sophisticated form of humor. On a scale of pun to ten, it's about an eight.
It's been overdone to the point that to me it's loss it's novelty and sophistication. Where's the physical comedy, irony, play of words, misunderstandings, double-meanings, exaggerations, high-brow, dry humor, wet humor? There's no variety anymore. Like " Was God just really tired on the 7th Day?" Now, it's just insults and bathroom humor.

It's been overdone to the point that to me it's loss it's novelty and sophistication. Where's the physical comedy, irony, play of words, misunderstandings, double-meanings, exaggerations, high-brow, dry humor, wet humor? There's no variety anymore. Like " Was God just really tired on the 7th Day?" Now, it's just insults and bathroom humor.
Oh, all that huh? I was just hoping you'd get a little chuckle out of my, "on a scale of pun to ten" quip.:D

That is a funny statement,my little brother has a good government job ,a couple kids ,big house in the nations capital,and speaks 4 or 5 different languages ,over all, a decent member of society,but cares only about himself and is generally sh!t for a human being.pretty big for a person or pile of Dung,depending on the viewing angle. there are only a couple of letters differing a pile and a pillar , what some consider art ,some do not.

Someone goes shooting actively in the woods. Does not mean they are a murderer. The statement still stands, you have exceptions in every corner of society ;)

Not sure what ghetto has to do with Hip Hop / RAP and why you are basing this solely on US demographic. Also I take it you did not listen through what I have linked.

Social Significance of Hip Hop / RAP culture by Stanford paper (little dated now).
https://web.stanford.edu/class/e297c/poverty_prejudice/mediarace/socialsignificance.htm

You sound more like, "IF I DONT LIKE IT ITS **** AND EVERYONE SHOULD BELIEVE WHAT I SAY" type of guy.

Some people are much more culturally developed. Having traveled and lived in a Slavic nation for 11 years and the UK for 13, it gave me a nice little scope of variety of things. I guess your typical average American probably doesn't have that view.

So I take it you also hate on Rock, Metal, Punk? Surely by your logic (y)

Not sure what ghetto has to do with Hip Hop / RAP and why you are basing this solely on US demographic. Also I take it you did not listen through what I have linked.
And I take it by your reply you didn't listen to any of the links I put up either. But more on that later.

Social Significance of Hip Hop / RAP culture by Stanford paper (little dated now).
https://web.stanford.edu/class/e297c/poverty_prejudice/mediarace/socialsignificance.htm
Whichever university will feature whatever course they feel will bring in tuition money. The press releases of course, won't feature or admit to that, but it's true.

You, (at least at one time), could take a course about the TV series, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer". With a syllabus claiming it as an adjunct to "women's studies". Buffy being an "empowered young woman", and all that

http://salemweeklynews.com/2010/12/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-heads-to-portland-state-university/
You sound more like, "IF I DONT LIKE IT ITS **** AND EVERYONE SHOULD BELIEVE WHAT I SAY" type of guy.
Sometimes an old threadbare children's retort explains that statement rather succinctly, "it takes one to know one".

After all, you were running your yap about me being, "illiterate", as to my grasp of "musical languages"..
Some people are much more culturally developed. Having traveled and lived in a Slavic nation for 11 years and the UK for 13, it gave me a nice little scope of variety of things. I guess your typical average American probably doesn't have that view.
World culture is as world culture does. Kenya turns out some of the finest long distance runners in the world. That's in part because they still hunt by running animals down until they're exhausted, and then kill them. World culture..! (y) No, "the average American" can't possibly be as "sophisticated" as you. "Sophistication" could, in this instance, be a loose synonym for, "arrogant".

So I take it you also hate on Rock, Metal, Punk? Surely by your logic (y)
Assuming this isn't sacrcasm, it goes to prove you didn't follow the links I posted either, since all 4 selections were of the European "Symphonic metal" genre..

This is music not really familiar with people in the US, by virtue of the fact the studios are busy ramming ethnocentric crap down the public's throat. Same thing with "Beats" headp[hones. After all, the bass response is just so overly exaggerated, and "Dr. Dre", has his name on them. Who cares if they're worth a quarter of what you have to pay for them?

As for me, "not liking rock", that simply enhances my opinion that you've conveniently truncated your functional literacy for the in furtherance of this argument. Gosh, my granny took me to see Bill Halley & the Comets when I was 8.

Whether or not hip-hop has its points of excellence, I'm not disputing. What I am disputing, is the degree to which it "empowers" a vast and worthless segment of our population, that really doesn't need any more empowerment than it already has.

Your little, "get off my lawn video", went to prove what an under informed, bigoted, and egocentric individual your really are.

If I felt like wasting a lot of precious tie explaining the depths of crap I've have to put up with, far in excess of a young boy retrieving his basketball, I could go on for pages. You're opinion of me, or approval of me, simply isn't worth it.

"What does rap have to do with the ghetto" you ask? Virtually everything.

As far as me sifting though hours and days of rap to find value. I'd have to say I'd have better luck panning for gold on a New Jersey beach.

Look at it this way, nobody's going to search through an ocean of bath water, for a baby they don't want.

I'm going to post another video just to prove to you that I am every bit as unsophisticated as you say I am, know absolutely nothing about world culture, and have a "tin ear" with respect to what "music" actually is.

You Don't have to follow the link. In fact, it would probably be better if you didn't .

Last edited:
Back