Chinese tech hub Shenzhen goes into lockdown, Foxconn suspends production

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Just as we were seeing signs that the chip shortage was improving, the crisis has potentially been exacerbated. First by the invasion of Ukraine, and now through an outbreak of Covid-19 cases in the Chinese tech center of Shenzhen.

Apple supplier Foxconn and several other manufacturers have suspended production in Shenzhen following a rise in Covid-19 reports. Sixty new cases were reported Sunday, and now all businesses except those that supply food, fuel, and other necessities have been ordered to close or work from home, reports AP. Additionally, all 17.5 million residents must undergo three rounds of testing.

Those infection numbers are low compared to most other countries, but China has an extreme “zero tolerance” strategy that sees quarantines and lockdowns of entire communities or cities even if just a few Covid-19 cases are discovered.

Foxconn, the world’s biggest contract manufacturer of electronics that counts Apple and Samsung among its customers, has suspended production at its Longhua and Guanlan factories until further notice, though it will use sites in other cities to support production. The firm's touch panel subsidiary, General Interface Solution (GIS) Holding, is also halting production.

A subsidiary of Taiwan’s largest circuit board maker, Unimicron, is stopping production from today, writes Nikkei Asia. Some of China's largest tech companies have their headquarters in Shenzhen, including Huawei, Tencent, and Oppo.

Shanghai, home of chipmaker SMIC, is also introducing restrictions today, including the suspension of buses to other provinces and requiring a negative PCR test from anyone attempting to leave or enter the city.

GEM Services, a Taiwanese power-management chip packaging and testing company, is suspending production at its Shanghai plant.

There are concerns that the lockdowns will impact supply chains in a chip industry that had been showing signs of improvement recently. The market is also dealing with the Ukraine invasion. Around half of the world's supply of neon—needed for the lasers used in chip manufacturing—comes from two companies in Ukraine, both of which have ceased production since Russian forces attacked the country.

Photo by Robert Bye

Permalink to story.

I know what most people will think but if all nations reaction to even a few dozen cases was this then we would have had maybe 6 months of pandemic instead of over 2 years at this point.

Is not that I think that China has the moral high ground given what they've done to their own citizens in the past AND present but in this specific case I wish more nations just weren't gambling with stuff like "Ok how many lives we can get away with endangering? How many potential human deaths are too much before we have to actually damage our economies?" When the answer, should always be zero.

In as much as China was completely uncooperative with WHO and CDC and would not release ANY of their data on the start up, I am growing increasingly convinced they were creating a bio-weapon and got caught with their pants down. So I'm all for them continuing to suffer from their own makings and hope this convinces more and more high tech companies to leave China and go elsewhere. From stealing everyone else's technology, refusing to honor patent rights, and a palithery of other offenses against humanity as well as their own citizens they deserve each and every bad thing that comes their way. Like Putin, their leadership needs to be removed, permanently.

I know what most people will think but if all nations reaction to even a few dozen cases was this then we would have had maybe 6 months of pandemic instead of over 2 years at this point.

Is not that I think that China has the moral high ground given what they've done to their own citizens in the past AND present but in this specific case I wish more nations just weren't gambling with stuff like "Ok how many lives we can get away with endangering? How many potential human deaths are too much before we have to actually damage our economies?" When the answer, should always be zero.

If China had acted properly from the beginning, we might not have seen the pandemic at all.

If China had acted properly from the beginning, we might not have seen the pandemic at all.

Exactly. If China hadn´t spent month trying to hide the matter, and pretending it was nothing, the pandemic might have been contained sight at the start.

And let's not forget that health and food safety in China is very bad, resulting in the spreading of diseases. Covid-19 is not the first major disease originating in China.

Not a single case is even verified.

As you may already know (as I denoted over two years ago), that CCP is purposely doing stuff like this, because it raises the precious metals prices..! Disrupting supply chains and creating instability in the market. Dr Lisa Su and Huang & several other tech firms begged congress 2 years ago in a signed letter "to make things in USA".... cuz, *CCP was using COVID as a way to (test) manipulating the market/volumes and and playing both ends*

CCP is directing companies to make illegal moves, so they can "Publicly" catch them and confiscate those GPUs. And no matter what the CCP tells you, they are NOT shutting down their mining farms, the CCP is just taking over them, seizing control of crypto farms.

Nothing that comes out of CCP's china is true, unless it is leaked out by a Family member... Period!

I don't disagree. But really what's the alternative here? Are you suggesting China now should go back to hiding the pandemic in a 17 million people city and potentially kill as many as 100,000 or so innocent civilians that had nothing to do with either decision then or now?

It is possible that both China hiding the pandemic and not containing it in January 2020 and China now doing the right thing by immediately going into lockdown with very few cases are both things that are true simultaneously: It isn't a dichotomy and supporting a decision today isn't implicit support for their past behavior.

In fact here's a hint: you will never find me implicitly supporting all actions of any State or government, yet I am also not above pointing out a broken clock it's still technically accurate twice per day.

Exactly. If China hadn´t spent month trying to hide the matter, and pretending it was nothing, the pandemic might have been contained sight at the start.

And let's not forget that health and food safety in China is very bad, resulting in the spreading of diseases. Covid-19 is not the first major disease originating in China.

You do raise a valid point... however, with the way most countries have been gambling with the pandemic the way @Dimitriid rightly pointed out, at this point I doubt the pandemic would have been contained even if China had been straight from the start. Vaccines could come out earlier and maybe we could have had 30% - 50% less deaths worldwide, but I think it's very unlikely that it would've been contained.

You are incorrect. These lockdowns and restrictions have a minimal impact to the spread of covid. A university in the USA determined that the months lockdowns and draconian restrictions at the border saved 0.2% - https://nationalpost.com/news/world/johns-hopkins-university-study-covid-19-lockdowns

There is no evidence to prove any of it ever worked. The broken eggs of lockdown are littered in every country on the globe yet nobody has an omelette.

I thought the globe had moved past blindly locking down populations as a panicked response to rising case numbers. Apparently not..

They actually have for the global East. Australia, South Korea, New Zealand, Vietnam, Thailand and China have limited spread and dwarf the Global West in death rates. It's amazing what governments who care about their people can achieve.

Had a look at South Korea recently? Gives the impression they got lucky.

Until they didn't.

They actually have for the global East. Australia, South Korea, New Zealand, Vietnam, Thailand and China have limited spread and dwarf the Global West in death rates. It's amazing what governments who care about their people can achieve.
resized_16564-8c9c12cbuyghurmehbus1.jpg

I'm fine not being "cared for" by my government. Thanks.

Here's a CRAZY idea...DO NOT put all your silicon chips, in one basket!
If most corporations were not as greedy, take a LITTLE less profit, and move
some of the manufacturing (and jobs) back to their native countries, then China
would wither on the vine and die, to some extent.

The Chinese administration showing they have the intelligence of a boulder. Lockdowns do not work, herd immunity is the only way out. The data surrounding this is clear and obvious now there is no excuse for a lockdown at all when it comes to covid.

They literally kill the bankrupt and insolvent for entertainment, have you not see the documentary squid game?

There is no point pointing fingers at China when every nation chooses to manufacture significant amount of their products there. Everyone knows that they need to diversify, but knowing and doing it is completely different. Every nation have their rights to implement whatever policies that deem fit for them. While people don’t believe in the 0 COVID strategy, Chinese citizens have been living without all these COVID restrictions and endless booster shots, unlike almost every other nation that is still having some sort of COVID restrictions here and there. Just because most don’t adopt the same strategy, does not mean that the strategy is bad in my opinion. It could be hard for other nations to enforce such lockdowns, and so they took the “norm” approach.

I wish I had a 100 dollars for every time I read Chinese news, and Chinese discussion posts over the past two years that said "we defeated it" I would be a millionaire.

What is going on here? The characters in the background look Japanese, not chinese. Please link the article, or refrain from unrelated posting.
My apologies. Are you allowed to search for Uighur concentration camps in your country, or does your internet connection immediately shut down once you do?

CCCP China is properly described as the world's largest ongoing hostage situation and the less my government emulates them, the happier I will be, even if it means my chance of dying from COVID goes up 0.0001%.

As for your attempt to smear my post as fake news, you can clearly see these are Chinese characters:

Da is visible second from the bottom right.

The writing at the top is Arabic, which is likely included as the Uighurs are largely Muslims.

Last edited:
Hearing things like LOCKDOWNS makes sense coming from CHINA, what I never expected was Western citizens becoming so comfortable with the idea.
Likely the true ideals of Liberty will be dead in 50 years, replaced by some horrific propagandized version where ignorance becomes strength.

Back