Chip shortage currently affecting "everybody but Apple," report says

nanoguy

Staff member
In brief: While optimists among industry watchers believe the current chip shortage will be ironed out in the coming months, data from retailers and carriers seems to suggest otherwise. In the specific case of Apple, its sheer negotiation power when dealing with chipmakers has shielded the company from many of the supply constraints that are now having a sizable impact on other tech giants like Samsung.

The ongoing chip shortage is far from over, and rising Covid cases in key manufacturing countries like Vietnam and Malaysia are not helping a speedy recovery, as governments walk the fine line between protecting their citizens and keeping the local economy from imploding.

Apple did warn earlier this year that it wouldn't be able to make enough iPads and MacBooks to meet demand, as the company couldn't make enough M1 chips and getting a hold of display drivers and NAND controllers is getting harder every month. However, the Cupertino giant might be doing relatively fine compared to its competitors.

According to Wave7 research spotted by PCMag, the lack of silicon is starting to hurt the production of low-end Android phones, with companies like OnePlus and Samsung seeing the hardest hit as a result of bottlenecks in the supply chain. In contrast, Apple has managed to weather the storm by locking down chipset supply ahead of time, which means that getting your hands on an iPhone 12 is relatively easy.

The problems may have started back in March, when Qualcomm signaled it was having trouble producing enough low-end and mid-range Snapdragon chipsets. Xiaomi president Wang Xiang also warned that supply of high-end chipsets was also constricted, and that it would soon have to increase costs if it found no way to optimize its phone designs.

Wave7 surveyed store managers at major carriers and found that some were affected differently than others, with AT&T being the least affected due to its "iPhone-heavy customer base." At the opposite pole, T-Mobile seems to have suffered the most as the shortage is said to have hit "everyone but Apple." Verizon seems to have trouble securing enough stock of Samsung's Galaxy A-series phones.

It will be interesting to see how things play out in the coming months, especially as Apple is preparing the launch of the iPhone 13 (among other things), while Samsung is finally enjoying strong consumer appetite for its foldable Galaxy phones.

Permalink to story.

Producing their own components was brilliant.

In time, more companies will do the same so they can capture more profit and sure they are protected from supply chain disruptions.

these companies all pay Dividends on their stock. You should be invested in them.

Producing their own components was brilliant.

In time, more companies will do the same so they can capture more profit and sure they are protected from supply chain disruptions.

these companies all pay Dividends on their stock. You should be invested in them.
Apple doesn't really have fabs, they just purchased bigger chunks of the production capacity of others like TSMC early on. Samsung is the one who owns proper fabs.

It's all orchestrated stock manipulation. Just like the "oil crisis" of 1973.

and if you want to be sheople and believe it to be true, be my guest. and yes I have read about the so called sudden 40% failure rate, that was planned, part of the global manipulation. Conspiracy? It took decades to find out the truth regarding the "oil crisis" of 73, and I have no doubt it will take just as long to find out truth about this latest scam.

and if you want to be sheople and believe it to be true, be my guest. and yes I have read about the so called sudden 40% failure rate, that was planned, part of the global manipulation. Conspiracy? It took decades to find out the truth regarding the "oil crisis" of 73, and I have no doubt it will take just as long to find out truth about this latest scam.
Maybe, but unfortunately I'm not a master detective to unravel the conspiracy.

But when we are looking at raw materials, it's true that the demand has long exceeded the global output.

If the chip shortage is affecting every company but the one that is paying the most, isnt that blatant price fixing? Really makes you think hwo much money apple is slipping under the table to keep supply going.
NOW can we start to talk seriously about modular, reusable chipsets? And moving manufacturing back to the west?
Manufacturing? Here? You must be crazy. The only politicians that want that are the crazy racist/sexit/bigoted/phobic/ist/ism/buzzword alt right nazi zombie blah blah blah....you get the idea. Most of the powers that be want to keep manufacuring in asia where there are no enviromental or workplace regulations so they can squeeze out a few more $$$. Even now companies are moving production to vietnam, not back here.

I dont understand why samsung hasnt burned the cash to make a chip that beats snapdragons, apple has the m1, samsung is one of the biggest manufacturers around aren't they? so why not just build your own tech to not have to deal with this problem.

also, kinda suspect apple is fine because they just spent money to beat it, I guess cash really does solve all problems.

But when we are looking at raw materials, it's true that the demand has long exceeded the global output.
If the chip shortage is affecting every company but the one that is paying the most, isnt that blatant price fixing? Really makes you think hwo much money apple is slipping under the table to keep supply going.
Manufacturing? Here? You must be crazy. The only politicians that want that are the crazy racist/sexit/bigoted/phobic/ist/ism/buzzword alt right nazi zombie blah blah blah....you get the idea. Most of the powers that be want to keep manufacturing in asia where there are no enviromental or workplace regulations so they can squeeze out a few more $$$. Even now companies are moving production to vietnam, not back here.

Prove what you just said "when we are looking at raw materials, it's true." prove it. The fact is you cannot. All you can do is source others spreading the same story. You are spreading an agenda, a lie calling something "true" when you have no proof. No offence, and I mean that seriously, you are like the majority and follow what you are told, and assume it to be truth because you were told it is so. Then you regurgitate and repeat. The "oil crisis: was a lie, and I believe so is this. For one, why are they projecting it to end in one or two years from now? YOU claim its about over production of raw materials, are you suggesting the planet has suddenly found a NEW source of said "raw materials" ?? I wont be changing your mind, your thinking is like many, one sided and narrow. I do mean no offence, but it is sad to see so many spread stories without proof. The chip shortage is a world wide issue, Manufactured not unlike the said oil crisis for STOCK gain by the ultra wealthy. Do you even know who the ultra wealthy are that are involved in said chip crisis? I'll test your knowledge, who owns the single most amount of shares of AMD? just using amd as an example, not so much as relatable to the bogus crisis. Who owns the most shares?

Last edited:
Prove what you just said "when we are looking at raw materials, it's true." prove it. The fact is you cannot. All you can do is source others spreading the same story. You are spreading an agenda, a lie calling something "true" when you have no proof. No offence, and I mean that seriously, you are like the majority and follow what you are told, and assume it to be truth because you were told it is so. Then you regurgitate and repeat. The "oil crisis: was a lie, and I believe so is this. For one, why are they projecting it to end in one or two years from now? YOU claim its about over production of raw materials, are you suggesting the planet has suddenly found a NEW source of said "raw materials" ?? I wont be changing your mind, your thinking is like many, one sided and narrow. I do mean no offence, but it is sad to see so many spread stories without proof. The chip shortage is a world wide issue, Manufactured not unlike the said oil crisis for STOCK gain by the ultra wealthy. Do you even know who the ultra wealthy are that are involved in said chip crisis? I'll test your knowledge, who owns the single most amount of shares of AMD? just using amd as an example, not so much as relatable to the bogus crisis. Who owns the most shares?
Actually, I can prove it with official statistics, production numbers and other known facts. But it's too much work for me to do for a simple argument here, I don't get paid by you or anybody here.

Instead of claiming "conspiracy", actually try looking at what is happening right now in the whole world. Usually the simple answer is the correct one.

I'm not convinced by your post. The lack of objective data is really hurting the point you are trying to make. Claiming you can prove it, but the work it would take is just too much, is just being lazy. Surely you expected someone to call you on your bold statement?

Apple NOT having shortage problems? Yet another reason to dislike them. It's like they're actually trying to piss people off.

Back