Choose What closing the lid does?

learninmypc

Normally, 99.999% of the time I just shut it down completely but I'd like to know what "sleep" means?
Does that mean if I do so, upon opening the lid it'll be where I left it at?
I notice in Control Panel>Power Options>System Settings whether its on battery or plugged in , it shows sleep. :)

Jad Chaar

I recommend sleeping the laptop if you are gonna use it after you close it within the next few hours. Otherwise shut it down.

D

DelJo63

Options are listed under the Power Profile.

There is a difference between Sleep & hibernate.
  1. Sleep halts the processsor and keeps memory active with a trickle of battery power. The longer the duration of Sleeping, the more the battery is drained.
  2. Hiberation writes memory to hiberfil.sys, alters the boot and performs a full shutdown and uses no power to keep the memory refreshed. You can restart from hiberation DAYS later and resume where you left off.
I hibernate whenever I leave the pc for more that just a few minutes.

learninmypc

Options are listed under the Power Profile.

There is a difference between Sleep & hibernate.
  1. Sleep halts the processsor and keeps memory active with a trickle of battery power. The longer the duration of Sleeping, the more the battery is drained.
  2. Hiberation writes memory to hiberfil.sys, alters the boot and performs a full shutdown and uses no power to keep the memory refreshed. You can restart from hiberation DAYS later and resume where you left off.
I hibernate whenever I leave the pc for more that just a few minutes.
Ok, putting it in hybernate, what do I do to get it back to the desktop? TIA :)
I just found this http://www.ehow.com/how_7343660_windows-vista-out-hibernation.html
is that correct?

St1ckM4n

Hibernate = shutdown while saving your open programs.

So if you Hibernate with a Word doc open and some browser tabs, this is what you will see when you boot up.

learninmypc

Ok, thank you. I usually close out everything first, just not used to doing that. This is the first "new" laptop I've had so I'm learning. :)