Chromium-Based Opera 15 Now Available

bobcat

July 2, 2013

The final version of the all-new Opera browser hit Windows and Mac computers today with a fresh look and completely new features.

Dubbed Opera Next 15, the system swapped out its own Presto rendering engine for Google's Chromium engine, in an effort to help webpages load faster "even in the toughest of network conditions," the Norway-based browser maker said recently.

It sports a sleeker, more modern look, as well as the ability to search directly from a newly combined address-and-search bar — just start typing a webpage address or enter a search term to look for suggestions.

The refreshed shortcuts feature known as Speed Dial now allows bookmarks to be gathered in folders and easily filtered; simply drag and drop one entry on top of another to create a folder, or use the new search field to find a specific page you once saved.

More info:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2421306,00.asp

Downlaod:
http://www.opera.com/

I don't like it & am wondering how long till it updates its self automatically. I downloaded the new version from techspot so I now have old & new versions.

Well, 1st off these people that make things like computers (MS) & browsers & etc seldom if at all ask their users for input. They just do it the way they want it & we're forced to accept it or find another browser.
Although I seldom use Opera, I stil got used to its layout & "finally" had it functioning pretty good.
Now, with the newer one, I can't find a to make my homepage stay that way.
If you like Opera the way it was, I don't think one will like a TOTALLY different opera.Just My Opinion:)

What exactly is it that you don't care for? I haven't tried it myself, so I don't know if I do or not.
tl;dr - it's a Chrome clone.

It's using the same Webkit engine as Chrome et al, so for some reason that also means a lot of the base features and appearance is the same. Address/search in one box. Tab appearance similar. No temporary download cache. There isn't enough difference between browsers to make Opera 'unique' anymore.

I have been using Opera since the days it was ad supported. The reasons are three, in order of importance: Security, feel (including functionality), speed.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Judging from experience, changes to something already good usually are for the worse. [/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]Of course, I’ll give the new version a fair try. But my preliminary comment is that if Opera users wanted chromium, they’d be using Chrome, not Opera. [/FONT]

I'll stay with it for now, but if I can't easily figure it out, It'll be gone for good or unless they go back to the previous way.

I'm very confused now. I still have two different copies/versions of Opera on my W7. I just updated the "older" version I have & here is a screen capture of it.
Capture Opera.JPG
This is the other version
Capture Newer version Opera.JPG

They are basically two independent browsers, where both can be installed at the same time.

You should be able to uninstall the old version if you wish. Do you have a listing for both browser versions in "Programs and Features"?

Since I prefer the older version, I guess I'll keep it & remove the Opera next one.
In Programs & Features
Capture in Programs & features.JPG

I hear the older version is better than the chrome based one. I do like chromium browsers though, so I'll give it a shot...so far I've been using the torch browser which is also chromium based.

Yah, old version actually had features. O15 doesn't have squat. I guess the team will implement it after all their 'hard work' transitioning to new engine....

I tried finding what was new in 16 that was changed from 15. All I could find in a short search was download links and reviews for Opera Next.

Back