1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

CIA reportedly says Huawei is funded by Chinese state security

By midian182 · 12 replies
Apr 22, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. According to British newspaper The Times, which cites a UK source, the Central Intelligence Agency told the country’s intelligence services about Huawei allegedly receiving funding from Chinese state security. The other Five Eyes nations (Australia, Canada, and New Zealand) were also informed.

According to the Times, the CIA “awarded a strong but not iron-cast classification of certainty” to its findings.

The US has spent years accusing Huawei of spying at the behest of the Chinese government, though it has never provided any concrete evidence. America has asked its allies not to use the firm’s 5G equipment in their networks, threatening to withhold intel from those that do. While some countries, such as Australia, have agreed with the US, others, including the UK, aren’t as worried about any potential threats. The EU does want to increase security around 5G networks, but it hasn’t proposed a ban on Huawei equipment.

Huawei is now suing the US government over the ban on its devices at a federal level, which was implemented last August, while the ongoing saga over CFO Meng Wanzhou, who is being detained in Canada and faces possible extradition to the US over claims of sanction violations, is causing more friction.

Huawei, which has long denied links with the Chinese government, said it “did not comment on unsubstantiated allegations backed up by zero evidence from anonymous sources.”

Earlier this month, MIT became the latest US University to break ties with Huawei and ZTE over what it called security risks and the government investigations into the firms.

Permalink to story.

2. xwardos

xwardos TS Rookie

Who cares, I'm still going to continue buy their products

3. Hexic

Hexic TS Evangelist Posts: 479   +307

It’ll be a matter of time before it’s either proven (most likely) or disproven. And even then, the UK in their infinite brilliance may not cut ties.

tacobravo likes this.
  4. R00sT3R

R00sT3R TS Guru Posts: 145   +327

Its as if Western people who don't believe it, think Huawei bosses would have any choice in the matter if the Chinese Communist Party instructed them to insert 'back doors' for spying purposes.

..You don't get to say no to them unless you want a 4am wake up call and being dragged off, never to be heard of again.

tacobravo, poohbear and mbrowne5061 like this.
  5. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 5,153   +3,575

If you think it's all a fraud you need to go back and look at what happened when the US tried to build an embassy in both China and Russia in the middle of the last century ..... that will tell you everything you need to know ......

mbrowne5061 likes this.
  6. netman

netman TS Addict Posts: 251   +73

Totally fabricated...

Charles Olson and xxLCxx like this.
  7. Impudicus

Impudicus TS Addict Posts: 109   +62

So you're telling me that a Chinese company may have received money from the Chinese government? My god, I'm glad American companies never receive money from the government. I couldn't imagine the conflict of interests, and potential for spying.

Charles Olson, xxLCxx and PEnnn like this.
  8. Yeppie

Yeppie TS Rookie

Two words: Snowden, Apple.
    Should remind you that it is exact same story. Governments control cell phone companies because they create a great intelligence network. It is naive to think otherwise. Why would any government have different relationship with a cell company in their country anyways, that would boggle my mind.
    Having said that, it has never deterred me from buying apple products.

CIA should write another report on US government and Apple.

9. Avenger001

Avenger001 TS Booster Posts: 56   +43

I am sure companies like Cisco didn't know anything about the backdoors in their products that the NSA installed or was taking advantage of.

10. poohbear

poohbear TS Maniac Posts: 270   +179

Every single company in China is partially owned by the government, and they certainly can't say no to any requests from them. Anyone that has worked in China knows this is the case, the communist party controls everything in the country. For Huawei to say "no we're independent" is an outright lie!

Apple refused to comply with the US government's request to hack an iphone belonging to the San Bernardino terrorists, Huawei couldn't dream of doing such a thing.

tacobravo, Avenger001 and Agnomen like this.
  11. PEnnn

PEnnn TS Enthusiast Posts: 60   +59

I wonder how many US companies and products were funded by the Pentagon, NSA, CIA and the other 300+ secret agencies with secret budgets!!

Charles Olson, xxLCxx and darkzelda like this.
  12. xxLCxx

xxLCxx Banned Posts: 226   +151

Try googling - oops, got one!

Charles Olson likes this.
  13. fktech

fktech TS Maniac Posts: 512   +128

All too true.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...