Cities: Skylines Review: A modern take on the city building sim genre

Jos

Staff

cities skylines review

Cities: Skylines is a game coming in hot. The People want a good city-building game to play, and it's been a long time since they got one. So there's a surprising amount of expectation for Colossal's attempt at fixing SimCity's mistakes.

Regardless of what you've been hoping for, whether you've been interested in Skylines because of the developer's pedigree (they made the excellent Cities In Motion) or to fill a Maxis-sized hole in your library, I've got some news.

Good news first! If you play city-building games to, well, build cities, this is the best you can get. Never before have I felt like I could just walk up to an enormous tract of land, open up some tools and just...build whatever I wanted, however I wanted. Straight roads, curved roads, designated office blocks, districts with their own tax rules, it's all at your fingertips.

Read the complete review.

It doesn't really matter that much whether this is a great game or just a good one: Everybody should buy it, just to teach EA a lesson.

Sounds like it has the potential of being a GREAT game. Probably wait until the first "fix" is released, hopefully they will address all or most of the editors comments. I'd do anything to dump Sim City ... what a goat!

Got this game last week and love it! I don't really agree with the authors comments about traffic causing trash and dead bodies to build up everywhere. At first I had the same issue with my highway backing up with traffic and preventing the service vehicles from doing their jobs around the city. My problem was that I had too many neighborhood streets connecting to the highways with the traffic stopping at each street light, once I removed the 4-way stops and added on/off ramps and roundabouts my traffic was free flowing, adding a bus & train route as well as pedestrian bridges eliminated all traffic and service issues around the city.

That's the beauty in the game, not everything's going to be easy and the traffic issues make you think and re-design your current city and how you'll build you're next neighboring city.

This game really is great. I would recommend it to anyone who has been a long time Sim City fan (especially if you didn't like the last Sim City game). I love the mods and additional content that the community is providing via the Steam Workshop. Some of the complaints the reviewer had, such a tediously demolishing abandoned buildings, can be remedied by a mod that for this example does it automatically.

I have not run into any of the other issue that the reviewer had, although, my city isn't that large yet, but I'm sure it will be fixed in a future patch. I can't imagine that it is a common problem though based on the overwhelming positive community reviews.

Back