City of London Police arrest alleged GTA VI leaker with assistance from FBI and NCCU

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Well, that was quick: London Police believe they have apprehended the GTA VI leaker. Law enforcement made the bust Thursday evening, just days after the FBI got involved. Officials have not released the name of the teenage suspect, nor have they announced the charges he faces. More details should surface in the coming days.

The teenager suspected of being behind this week's massive Grand Theft Auto 6 leak is in custody in the UK. The City of London Police arrested a 17-year-old Oxfordshire resident suspected of hacking Rockstar and Uber. Police officials say they were aided by the UK's National Cyber Crime Unit (NCCU).

According to sources of former Reuters reporter Matthew Keys, the unnamed teen is suspected of belonging to the hacker group known as "Lapsus$." Lapsus$ uses the privacy-focused messaging app Telegram to organize, which the NCCU and other law-enforcement agencies have infiltrated and been monitoring for a while now. Keys also says the FBI was involved.

At this point, the police have not revealed any arrest details other than the suspect is in custody. Since the alleged hacker is a minor, officials could withhold his name until they get the legal okay. London Police and the FBI will likely release more information within the next few days.

Events leading to the arrest started when a user on GTAForums, going by the username "teapotuberhacker," posted over 90 videos and screenshots from the still-under-development GTA VI. This leak occurred only days after a hacker using the name "teapot2022" breached Uber's internal systems and exposed 57 million customer records. A member of Lapsus$ with the handle "Tea Pot" claimed responsibility for both attacks. At that point, Uber began working with the FBI and others to identify Tea Pot. The FBI also opened an investigation into the Rockstar hack just days ago.

The teen's arrest is not the first that London Police have carried out. In March, UK law enforcement raided and arrested seven alleged members of Lapsus$. Police believed that one of them was Tea Pot, but officials have not confirmed whether the man detained in Oxfordshire was involved in the previous bust.

Permalink to story.

Really? Corrupt government officials, I mean, our own prime minister broke his own laws on several occasions and barely got a slap on the wrist. Huge sums of money was sent to party member friends company's during COVID lockdowns, literally billions missing, not even a criminal investigation.

Some kid broke into a video game company and leaked some game details, whole world goes looking for him.

I do not believe Putin's war is just in anyway, but damn, how corrupt are our governments when it becomes a top priority to look for some kid over a stupid video game leak?

Really? Corrupt government officials, I mean, our own prime minister broke his own laws on several occasions and barely got a slap on the wrist. Huge sums of money was sent to party member friends company's during COVID lockdowns, literally billions missing, not even a criminal investigation.

Some kid broke into a video game company and leaked some game details, whole world goes looking for him.

I do not believe Putin's war is just in anyway, but damn, how corrupt are our governments when it becomes a top priority to look for some kid over a stupid video game leak?

Funny think was England famously changed it laws hundreds of years ago to recognised all people rich and small - ie old laws were mainly to protect property of rich Lords - poach a wld rabbit to feed you famiy = oh boy - compared to rape of servant girls - what crime your honour ?

The powers the be- how to remember not to go back to old days - of just protecting the big corps and rich - and not the little guy.
The Converse - how many CEOs , board of directors do time for killing ,maiming, polluting in the name of profit ? not many , if any - Towns left with mining waste , poisoned water .
The Sacklers - with oxycotin/fentanyl- over a 100s of thousands of deaths from opioids

Give this kid a job at Rockstar instead of letting his brain rot behind bars

Nah that will just show the rest of these hackers that you get rewarded for your crimes. Best way to hurt a hacker is take away their digital access for 10 years. No Cell Phone, Console or Computer access. They can get rehabilitation reading books.

I mean I realize social engineering is a form of hacking but everyone saying he deserves a job..

All he did was convince some schmuck employee to give him an admin password. That doesn't make him a super genius in my eyes.

Yes, arrest that kid. Don't touch the illegal immigrants or those who are bringing them, or the rapists, or drug dealers, or pharmaceuticals for selling poisonous vaccines. But that kid..... arrest him. He's guilty for everything.

It's worth noting the kid also claimed to be behind the Uber hack (and who knows what else), so I don't think the FBI and Police went after him over a few video game pics.

Yes, arrest that kid. Don't touch the illegal immigrants or those who are bringing them, or the rapists, or drug dealers, or pharmaceuticals for selling poisonous vaccines. But that kid..... arrest him. He's guilty for everything.

And yet I reckon you'd be the first to complain if hackers took down YouTube or Netflix. Or perhaps the NHS (UK Healthcare) systems were their is a real chance people could die...

Go lookup wannacry if you don't think it can happen. It's a crime, doesn't matter who the target is!

I honestly don't care if a kid leaks images about a video game being produced by a company that has more money than Midas. The whole "justice" system is a sham anyway because the only reason that he's been apprehended is because he's not rich or powerful.

THAT is the world in which we live and yet we have people stupid enough to condemn people like this while ignoring the crimes committed at the top.

The most dangerous criminals in the world don't wear hoodies and live in basements. They wear 3-piece Armani and have corner offices in skyscrapers.

Last edited:
And yet I reckon you'd be the first to complain if hackers took down YouTube or Netflix. Or perhaps the NHS (UK Healthcare) systems were their is a real chance people could die...

Go lookup wannacry if you don't think it can happen. It's a crime, doesn't matter who the target is!
And yet the FBI didn't get involved when it was the NHS at risk.

Unless you're unaware what the NHS is, Rockstars next crime game isn't as important as the medical healthcare and records for millions of people...

I wondered why would FBI get involved in something as meaningless as leaking gameplay from an unreleased video game but then I saw it's in Britain where you get arrested for having a plastic fork outside.

Ah this would expplain why I've been getting so many UBER spam texts again lately.. time to change my password again lol

Back