Cleaning the heatsink cause the computer is not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0tepad

Hi ..

I just cleaned only the heat sink ( I didn't remove and touch the processor either) of the processor due having heavy dust on it, Since we do not have a vacuum cleaner I decided to use small paint brush and it actually really soft then eventually after I cleaned it I put back the heat sink including the fan properly and connected all devices on it and I on the computer.

the problem is the computer unfortunately didn't work.

but the keyboard is working i think b'coz what i have noticed the numlock, scroll lock and caps lock is lighting. and the DVD ROM.

what do you think is the problem ??

thnx. .

what should I do to fix it.

can you provide more detail? does it power on,boot up and shut down? specs would help also.

BTW did you plug the heat sink fan back into the motherboard? and did you re-apply thermal compound?

It sounds obvious, but go through all the connections one by one and re-re -re check them. its usually something dumb like 'forgot to turn the switch back on the power supply'.

can you provide more detail? does it power on,boot up and shut down? specs would help also.

BTW did you plug the heat sink fan back into the motherboard? and did you re-apply thermal compound?

It sounds obvious, but go through all the connections one by one and re-re -re check them. its usually something dumb like 'forgot to turn the switch back on the power supply'.

yes the power on, but it doesn't boot up and obviously it doesn't shut down

yes i plug the heat sink fan back. thermal compound ? no i didn't

I never touch the power supply .

Take your heatsink off and clean off any residue that may be left over from the previous thermal paste by applying some goo-gone or water to a rag and wiping it off (make sure nothing is left on both the heatsink and CPU chip) and applying some new thermal paste.

Is there any possibility that processor crash ??

That seems unlikely. It's most probably a case of the thermal compund getting wiped off or the connectors not being in place.

Follow red's and Epic's advice and reapply the TIM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back