CMI 9880 on Asus P5AD2-E Premium mobo

fw2004

Hi;
I've got a very old Asus mobo (P5AD2-E Premium) which has the CMI 9880 audio built-in.

When I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate last Oct, I had trouble with the CMI driver right off.
It didn't work at all, but eventually I found that I could use the old (Win XP) driver but had to run the setup in Win XP compat and use Admin privs.

So now it plays audio, but not as well as it did in Win XP. I cannot use the volume controls in the mixer but when I change vol in iTunes, it does work.

I am also trying to use this system to get input from a mic for speech recognition. It does work, but not all that well. Audio level is quite low.

When I search for a better driver, none is ever found. Asus no longer supports the LGA775 boards.

I don't have the money to upgrade my hardware, unless I can get a new audio system for a good price. Maybe a USB system?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

FW

"I don't have the money to upgrade my hardware, unless I can get a new audio system for a good price. Maybe a USB system?"... USB sound systems are cheap and they should work fine under Window 7

Back