Company behind PS2-themed PlayStation 5 cancels all orders following "credible threats"...

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: Given the incredible demand for the PlayStation 5, we suspected something might go wrong with SUP3R5's PS2-themed PS5 console launch last week, but not to this extent. The third-party seller has canceled all its orders after company staff received "credible threats to their safety."

The customized PlayStation 5 units, which draw inspiration from the best-selling console of all time, went on sale last Friday. Only 304 were being produced—a reference to the PlayStation 2's March 4, 2000 launch date—and with over 54,000 people on the "waitlist," grabbing one appeared about as difficult as buying a real PlayStation 5.

Selling for $650 (digital) / $750 (standard) and expected to ship in late spring 2021, all the consoles sold out within minutes, unsurprisingly, and the avalanche of eager gamers caused issues with the site. There were problems with processing orders, including reports of people being charged for one of the consoles without receiving confirmation they'd bought it.

It seems the situation incurred the wrath of some customers, leading to threats against staff. "We take these threats seriously, and as a result, we're not proceeding forward. All orders are being canceled with full refunds" the company said. Some people claim they've yet to receive their money back, though SUP3R5 did say the refunds will happen over "the coming days."

"We intended this to be a fun way to celebrate a shared nostalgia. As it turns out, there are people out there who are willing to interfere with that. If we determine that it's safe to try again, we will. For now, please stay safe," the company wrote.

Video Games Chronicle reports that, as with the original PS5, Xbox Series X, RTX 3000 series, etc., pre-orders for the retro-style PS5 appeared on eBay for thousands of dollars. These have since been removed, so at least there's some good news to come from all this.

The furor has seen SUP3R5 has deleted its Twitter account, and the website has little more than an email sign-up so people can be notified when, or if, the consoles relaunch. In a world where product launches can reach disastrous levels, this one was right up there with the worst.

Permalink to story.

Yeah, this happens a lot more than people realize. A company will land on a great idea, decide to go into business with it, but didn't invest in having forecasts developed that would allow them to scale up for production, marketing, sales, etc, etc. Worst yet, they didn't take the necessary action to let consumers know how much of a "wait time" until orders could be filled. I agree there is NO acceptable reason for harassments, threats, etc. but the company did bring it upon themselves and shuttering the production only exaggerates the issues.

Uh huh. Sure. Had nothign to do with severely limited stock making the business a no go. Nope. It was DEFINETLY the "creadible threats" for which there are no reciepts. Again.

Spray it matte black, buy some PS2 badges and stickers, bobs ya uncle! Only controller buttons might be difficult.

Hey, if you can give it a premium look and feel, I'd pay for that. However, I don't know how to do this and create something that feels quality. Thats why I would've preferred someone with material engineering experience to come out and try to give me what I would've hoped was professional grade. Something that looks like an authentic limited edition console with quality finish. Honestly, not sure if a spray can and some stickers would really do it for me. Seems to me like spray paint would easily scratch off and stickers would fall off. And you're right, the customer buttons would NOT have been easy for the average person to reproduce.

Yeah, this happens a lot more than people realize. A company will land on a great idea, decide to go into business with it, but didn't invest in having forecasts developed that would allow them to scale up for production, marketing, sales, etc, etc. Worst yet, they didn't take the necessary action to let consumers know how much of a "wait time" until orders could be filled. I agree there is NO acceptable reason for harassments, threats, etc. but the company did bring it upon themselves and shuttering the production only exaggerates the issues.
“This” would in this context refer to threats against employees. They didn’t bring “this” upon themselves. If people were unhappy about not getting a limited edition item, or had a poor order experience they could and should have complained to the company, left a bad google review, posted on twitter etc. The blame for making threats rests solely with the people that made them.

They should have just told the cry babies to F Off. Built and sold the consoles.

Next time maybe just build what you want in the quantities first. And then limited edition them on eBay probably sell for higher.

“This” would in this context refer to threats against employees. They didn’t bring “this” upon themselves. If people were unhappy about not getting a limited edition item, or had a poor order experience they could and should have complained to the company, left a bad google review, posted on twitter etc. The blame for making threats rests solely with the people that made them.

LOL ...... a bit of shallow thinking there bub, you might try much deeper thought next time.

Oh man, is this world crazy?... :-( :-(
5 year olds fighting over a candy bar...
If the worst problem some people have is getting their hands on a custom console, then, they should be grateful. But, heck, I'm dreaming!

Actually I needed something to list as my occupation thanks bro you aight
Confused easily does look good on a resume, and lines up pretty good with PCMR bro's...

And don't get me wrong, I have both. Just the us vs them BS is insanely old to see EVERYWHERE on the interwebs.

Confused easily does look good on a resume, and lines up pretty good with PCMR bro's...

And don't get me wrong, I have both. Just the us vs them BS is insanely old to see EVERYWHERE on the interwebs.
I was referring to your earlier post calling me a "PC Master Race Shill", and while I'm not sure how one is a shill for an idea as opposed to a specific corporate renumerated platform I will wear the badge with pride 🎖️

Back