Comparing Video Cards: Are they all the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

needhelpinnz

I'm trying to compare these video cards to see if they are pretty similar. Any thoughts?

-NVidia FX 5700
-Radeon 9600 (128MB and 256MB versions)
-Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 card. with 768 MB available RAM and a 2 GHz processor

As far as I know, the FX 5700 and Radeon 9600 series of cards are fairly similar with little difference in performance.

I've checked out a few websites and for example videocardbenchmark.net rates the 9600 as a 157 on their benchmark scale and the 5700 a 123...but I don't understand why.

------------------------------Radeon 9600--------------GeForce FX 5700
Core speed---------------325 MHz--------------------425 Mhz
Pixel Fill Rate-------------1300 Mpixels/s-------------1700 Mpixels/s
Texture Fill Rate---------1300 Mtexels/s-------------1700 Mtexels/s
Memory Bus Width-----128-bits-----------------------128-bits
Memory Speed----------200 MHz ---------------------300 MHz
Memory Bandwidth------6.4 GB/s---------------------9.6 GB/s

So this is what I looked up. I'm not interested in overclocking or anything like that. But if a computer is playing a game with either one of these two video cards, will they be pretty similar? Just from looking at it with my limited knowledge I'd say the FX 5700 would be better but it's ranked worse on most comparison sites...

Can anybody explain WHY they're similar?

The Radeon should perform better in dx9 games but the difference is very small. As for the intel one it's not suitable for games.
Although specs are important you should not forget that GPU's are different in design (ATI/Nvidia) so at the same specs they shouldn't perform the same (think core i7 cpu vs phenom II x4 - at the same clock speed the core i7 is much faster).
My question is, why do you have such old cards when you can get some extremely cheap ones with a lot more horsepower. For ~30$ you can find the GF 8400 or the HD 3450.

PS: for agp you can find the hd 4650 for as low as 70$ which is very good.

huh didn't even notice that, guess that's what i get for being in a hurry eh. i agree with what you said about this guy getting a newer card with more power, it would make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back