Compatibility Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

nik11105

Im buildin a rig wondering if the Asus Maximus III Formula supports crossfire technology because i am going to put 2 ATI Radeon HD 5770 in it with an Intel Core i5-661. Also all of that is going in an Antec 1200. Just in case im getting a Corsair HX 1000w PSU any help is appreciated

yes the Asus Maximus III does supports crossfire and SLI. you can save some money and get the Corsair HX 850w which i have. the Corsair HX 850w will have plenty of power for you to upgrade later too.

but i have heard that it is not very stable with windows 7 64-bit

Bad info I think.
Most PSU's lack premium efficiency at low load (see here for example) but I think you'll find that the HX850w is more usually an obvious choice with Crossfire and SLI setups for it's performance/price point.
With that in mind you'll notice that the infamous "Grey screen of death" (GSoD) seems to involve low power states (the PowerPlay feature) in new ATI cards within Windows 7- i.e. idle power settings and possibly low voltage settings (hence some uses "curing" the problem by overvolting).
This is why you might get a seemingly large number of search hits regarding the HX850/1000 and TX units...it's basically people searching for an answer for the GSoD and a degree of coincidence that the Corsair PSU's are present in a number of the units (hardly surprising since they are cost effective and have worldwide availability), and of course most are using Win7. Note how many users in these searches have HD5xxx series cards and the attendant drivers.

Hello nik11105,

Just a bit of FYI to understand the issues with 32-bit and 64-bit OS upgrades and later options that may or may not be available to you later:
When upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 you must upgrade the version currently installed within Windows Vista to the corresponding version in Windows 7. I.E. Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium; Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional; and Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate. You also cannot upgrade a 32-bit operating system to 64-bit -- to migrate from 32-bit to 64-bit will require a custom install.

Additionally, you will not be able to "upgrade" from a 32-bit version of Windows 7 to 64-bit -- the architecture between the two is too drastically different to allow such a change.

For compatibility check here:

Windows 7 Compatibility: (There you will find out about hardware and software compatibilty.)
There is a pulldown from which you can choose "hardware" and "software".

There are also some great articles, instructional videos and such to help with your Windows 7 at our Springboard site:

I hope that helps you out!

You can also find lots of information on Windows 7 here in our Springboard website:
Thanks again,
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back