Compatible discrete card for AMD A10-5800K

pw2much

I'm Planning on a new build and it will be on the ASRock FM2A85X Extreme4 FM2 AMD A85X (Hudson D4) ATX and with the AMD A10-5800K Trinity APU w/Radeon HD 7660D and I need a discrete card to match the APU's graphics. Also with either 1866 or 1600 DDR3 ram with 1.65 or 1.5v at 16GB or 32GB. Any suggestions and advice would be great fully appreciated. also having problems finding a cpu cooler for the A10?

Uhh, why do you want to match the APU graphics? What are your intentions with this build?
I'm just comparing my options for a multi-monitor system or wouldn't that be obvious. Is that the only thing you can comment on?? It'll be either or both a gaming PC or just a great home-theatre PC. And these are the two major parts I want to use the A10 and the ASRock. I'm not much of a gamer but to have the capabilities for friends or family when they come over would be great for entertainment.

I'm Planning on a new build and it will be on the ASRock FM2A85X Extreme4 FM2 AMD A85X (Hudson D4) ATX and with the AMD A10-5800K Trinity APU w/Radeon HD 7660D and I need a discrete card to match the APU's graphics. Also with either 1866 or 1600 DDR3 ram with 1.65 or 1.5v at 16GB or 32GB. Any suggestions and advice would be great fully appreciated. also having problems finding a cpu cooler for the A10?

You will need a Radeon 6670, try and get one with GDDR5 ram if you can. With the mature drivers out now, they make for a nice mid range gaming pc, good choice.

You will need a Radeon 6670, try and get one with GDDR5 ram if you can. With the mature drivers out now, they make for a nice mid range gaming pc, good choice.
Thank You for that Parkerm35! It's advice that I need, Do you have any suggestions on a good Cpu cooler to replace the in box cooler that comes with the A10? That's compatible for FM2 sockets?? I don't want to venture into water cooling at this time!

I'm just comparing my options for a multi-monitor system or wouldn't that be obvious. Is that the only thing you can comment on??
No it's not obvious considering you didn't mention it. One of the key questions always needs to be answered when giving advice on a build is what it's going to be used for.

Anyway the A10 by itself will be fine for a HTPC or a light gaming PC, that's the segment which AMD's APUs are marketed towards and the whole point of an APU is that you don't need a separate discrete graphics card. But if you do want a bit more power for gaming then the 6670 is the highest you can go. Or if you want to play the latest games at medium settings and above at high resolutions then you're better off just getting a normal CPU with a mid range graphics card like the 7770 or GTX 650Ti.

Regarding the cooler it depends on the clearance in your case, e.g. you'll need a low profile cooler if you're getting one of those HTPC cases. If you have a decent mid tower case then the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is a great choice for the price.

pw2much

No, it wasn't clear, and I can definitely comment on more things if I have the relevant background information. You seem confused about your intentions, so we need to make sure we're on the same page before any of us give you advice.

If you want a HTPC, the APU will do. If you want a gaming PC with a distinct improvement over the APU, you're gonna have to be spending at least $150 on something that will play games. Keep in mind, you're going to have to make sure your PSU is up to the task (which you haven't mentioned). A HD 6670 is not suitable.

Your mobo supports triple monitors. So just use HDMI + DVI for dual setup.

I'd get 2x 4GB 1600MHz RAM sticks. You don't need 16 or 32GB yet.

The CPu cooler was covered quite nicely in the post above.

Sorry about the long list!! Now the only part that I was not sure of is the memory weather to get the 1600 or the 1866 but I do want 16GBs of ram, The case of course is my best pick of this list but for only one minor problem but I will be able to work around it. that is that the case doesn't have USB 3.0 on the front of the case, which is okay because the motherboard has six 3.0 ports in the rear. Now the video card only if running the APU without it is sufficient. I'll be running everything threw a HDTV. As for your chose in cpu coolers I checked and the Cooler Master Hyper 612 PWN I found to be compatible with the FM2 form.

The Corsair Dominator RAM is seriously overpriced, just get the normal Corsair or GSkill RAM and there will be zero real world difference. You don't need 1866Mhz either, 1600Mhz will be fine.

As for the graphics card your APU will be wasted with a 6770 because they won't work in Crossfire together. As several people have mentioned, the highest you can go if you want the APU to work together with your GPU is a 6670. So either change to a 6670 or (much better idea IMO) ditch the APU idea and just get an i3 processor, H77 mobo and a 7770 which will be around the same price, perform much better and consume less power.

Sorry about the long list!! Now the only part that I was not sure of is the memory weather to get the 1600 or the 1866 but I do want 16GBs of ram, The case of course is my best pick of this list but for only one minor problem but I will be able to work around it. that is that the case doesn't have USB 3.0 on the front of the case, which is okay because the motherboard has six 3.0 ports in the rear. Now the video card only if running the APU without it is sufficient. I'll be running everything threw a HDTV. As for your chose in cpu coolers I checked and the Cooler Master Hyper 612 PWN I found to be compatible with the FM2 form.

The faster the ram the more FPS you will get! Although you will be using a discrete GPU in crossfire mode, the APU still stores the game data in the system ram for the alternate frame rendering on the IGP side. If I was you I would cut the memory down to 8GB and increase the speed.

Check this link out, it will show you the difference between each memory speed. Also bare in mind, the more FPS you have, the less chance of micro stuttering!
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/46073-amd-a10-5800k-trinity-needs-faster-ram/?page=3

Here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104315 these will be fine for you. If you must have 16GB just double up, still works out cheaper. Note, you will never use more than 8GB. Fore desktop use, 8GB is more than fine. Save your money and you can put it towards other things.

One more thing, your PSU is overkill!

Hope this helps.

The faster the ram the more FPS you will get! Although you will be using a discrete GPU in crossfire mode, the APU still stores the game data in the system ram for the alternate frame rendering on the IGP side. If I was you I would cut the memory down to 8GB and increase the speed.

Check this link out, it will show you the difference between each memory speed. Also bare in mind, the more FPS you have, the less chance of micro stuttering!
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/46073-amd-a10-5800k-trinity-needs-faster-ram/?page=3

Here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104315 these will be fine for you. If you must have 16GB just double up, still works out cheaper. Note, you will never use more than 8GB. Fore desktop use, 8GB is more than fine. Save your money and you can put it towards other things.

One more thing, your PSU is overkill!

Hope this helps.

Just.... no. Simply no.

1. A better GPU has more of an effect on fps than anything else.
2. RAM MHz clock is only of benefit if you overclock the slots from default, which I'm gonna say OP isn't gonna do.
3. The links you provide are run with IGP only.
4. APU + discrete GPU combination doesn't work like how you think it does.
5. I agree with your recommendation of 8GB RAM, though. I don't agree with your assumption "you will never use more than 8GB", though.

Just.... no. Simply no.

1. A better GPU has more of an effect on fps than anything else.
2. RAM MHz clock is only of benefit if you overclock the slots from default, which I'm gonna say OP isn't gonna do.
3. The links you provide are run with IGP only.
4. APU + discrete GPU combination doesn't work like how you think it does.
5. I agree with your recommendation of 8GB RAM, though. I don't agree with your assumption "you will never use more than 8GB", though.

The op has stated he wants a card to crossfire with his choice of APU so the 6670 is that card!
And yes it does work the way I think it does, I know fine well which way it works thank you very much. Like I said before, the discrete card will render one frame then it will alternate to the IGP for it to render the next hence "alternate frame rendering" the less memory bandwidth, the more time it will take to relay, causing lag and also lower FPS. Also Trinity nataurally supports 1866MHz memory and is totally simple to get it to run at 2133MHz. Also, please tell me when a gamer will use more than 8GB of desktop memory?

So yes, simply yes....

Please don't try to teach me something you clearly know nothing about! The Op has stated what he want's and you are clearly not set on the idea, it's his money and this is the build he desires, and a lovely build it will be.

Ok, I'm willing to concede that my comment was hasty, if we're sure OP is taking this route no matter what. I still think it's not really what he's after. OP wants 32GB of RAM and to make a gaming PC. I still honestly think that there are better options than buying 2100MHz 32GB RAM just to crossfire a 6670 with an AMD APU.

But, if OP really wants to go down that path, then continue. :)

Ok, I'm willing to concede that my comment was hasty, if we're sure OP is taking this route no matter what. I still think it's not really what he's after. OP wants 32GB of RAM and to make a gaming PC. I still honestly think that there are better options than buying 2100MHz 32GB RAM just to crossfire a 6670 with an AMD APU.

But, if OP really wants to go down that path, then continue. :)

The ram speed really does count though, I just found this http://www.jagatreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/amd-dual-graphics-3dmv-01-fix.jpg?9d7bd4 it was done with 12.9 Drivers, see the jump from 1333 to 1600 on the dual graphics? When it comes to dual graphics, the memory bandwidth is more important.

Here is Battlefield 3 results http://www.jagatreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/amd-dual-graphics-bf3-fix.jpg?9d7bd4 Big jump in performance with faster memory?

http://www.jagatreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/amd-dual-graphics-dirt3-02.jpg?9d7bd4 Dirt 3

Yah I bet, GDDR5 has a lot more bandwidth than traditional DDR3 RAM. This must be where the extra MHz helps a lot!

The ram speed really does count though, I just found this http://www.jagatreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/amd-dual-graphics-3dmv-01-fix.jpg?9d7bd4 it was done with 12.9 Drivers, see the jump from 1333 to 1600 on the dual graphics? When it comes to dual graphics, the memory bandwidth is more important.

Here is Battlefield 3 results http://www.jagatreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/amd-dual-graphics-bf3-fix.jpg?9d7bd4 Big jump in performance with faster memory?

http://www.jagatreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/amd-dual-graphics-dirt3-02.jpg?9d7bd4 Dirt 3
Hmm that is quite intereseting actually. What about 1600 vs 1866Mhz+? 1333 and 1600Mhz kits are almost the same price, but 1866 and above are quite a bit more pricey and I doubt it will be cost effective considering the GPU upgrade possibilities.

Say Parkerm! I've been checking all over the net. for this answer, but can't seem to get any answers: I've bought the G.Skill (Sniper) F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR DDR3-1866 and cannot be sure that it is compatible with my motherboard and if it isn't what other 1866 ram can I use. There is only one listed in my motherboards' memory support listings and that's the AMD -AP38G 1861U2K all others in that category is 1800Mhz or 1600Mhz. Any help on that one is greatly appreciated I already received the ram in the mail but want to verify that it's ok! before I use it.

If you wanna go multimonitor and are willing to spend this much money, go Intel... I guess you already bought the CPU though.

Look Klepto and Unknown I haven't an Intel in any of my computers at home so why do you think I care about what you think of how I should do this build!! that's what I want, it's my money and thank you for your assistance and if my decision bothers you that much then you build it your way! with your money. See not everybody that builds computers will want Intel products. By-the-way I asked for help on this build not what build you think I should make, so if you can't help me make the best of this build then go give someone else help changing what they want. All I need is help to make THIS BUILD and yes I will be making changes to the list that I have provided in accordance with what comes cheaper at the time that I have the money for the parts. Maybe a different manufacturer for the part or parts that I've already pick out. Your job is to find out what I want to build and help me or advise me to make that build a success.

Yes we are here to help but I hate to see someone throw money away on a system that is far less capable than a system that could be had for around the same money. Fact AMD is far behind Intel thats all there is to it. so I will not be commenting on this post any more since my input does not matter have fun.

Yes we are here to help but I hate to see someone throw money away on a system that is far less capable than a system that could be had for around the same money. Fact AMD is far behind Intel thats all there is to it. so I will not be commenting on this post any more since my input does not matter have fun.
Ditto. Final thought for you to ponder or ignore: An Intel Core i3 (dual core) outperforms a 4 core 4300 and a quad core A10 5800k while using much less power:

These guys should go work for Sony or Microsoft. To change their minds about the processors for their consoles.

Back