Competitive gaming now recognized as a pro sport in the US

Shawn Knight

Staff member

competitive gaming sport

Competitive gaming, also known as eSports, recently made huge strides as the U.S. State Department now recognizes the official League of Legends tournament as a professional sport. The decision will allow gamers from other countries to move to the U.S. to compete in tournaments using a specific visa without having to go through a complicated series of applications.

Riot Games’ VP Dustin Beck said it was a watershed moment that validates e-sports as a sport. Gamers now have the same designation as the NBA, NHL or other professional sports leagues. Beck pointed out that convincing US immigration and Citizenship Services was a long process that hinged on proving that League of Legends can allow people to make a living as a professional.

A lot of people have been dismissive about it, Beck said, simply because they don’t understand the scope of the decision. To further drive the point across, the executive said their viewership numbers are stronger than 80 to 90 percent of the sports covered on ESPN.

Furthermore, non-American players may soon be able to join U.S. teams, much like how David Beckham was able to join the LA Galaxy soccer team.

The first person to benefit from the change looks to be Canadian gamer Danny “Shiptur” Le. He was unable to compete earlier this year due to work permit problems.

It’s worth mentioning that the recognition currently only applies to the eight processional teams in League of Legends and not any other eSports leagues although other leagues can now apply to be added to the list of recognized leagues, we’re told.

Permalink to story.

Nice! Hopefully there will be few nights of staying up to 4-5 am to watch something from Asia live because they can host more U.S. based tournaments. Granted, I don't watch a lot of LoL, but I think StarCraft should be next on the list, then maybe all the Fighter and FPS genre games.

Imagine the big TV networks crossing live to the big e-sport event with ball by ball, blow by blow commentary. I'd rather watch paint dry. Competing yourself is one thing, watching somebody else compete is quite another thing.

Why only league of legends? why not any of the other dota clones that are around?
hell, why not fps's for that matter?

also, why does the article title say "competitive gaming now recognized as a pro sport" when it only applies to a game only a minority of the competitive gaming scene plays?

Why only league of legends? why not any of the other dota clones that are around?

also, why does the article title say "competitive gaming now recognized as a pro sport" when it only applies to a game only a minority of the competitive gaming scene plays?

Minority? League of Legends is the biggest video game in the world.

That's 100% fact.

Imagine the big TV networks crossing live to the big e-sport event with ball by ball, blow by blow commentary. I'd rather watch paint dry. Competing yourself is one thing, watching somebody else compete is quite another thing.

I agree, but I'd also say the same about figure skating and it's the most popular event of the Winter Olympics.

Competitive gaming is now recognized as a professional sport? This decision makes about as much sense as pro poker on ESPN.

LOL? There are also other MOBA games with better graphics such DOTA2 and HON..

Here's a comparison. DOTA2 vs HON

Both are better than LOL.

Wether DOTA2 and HoN have better graphics is not important... LoL is the game that everyone plays and it has a massive following.

I've been watching all those "Awesome Games Done Quick" videos on youtube, it's a charity that raises money for Cancer. You should see these guys do speed runs through some of these games & the tricks they pull off...its amazing. I especially enjoyed the Super Mario 3 and Metroid Prime runs myself for the 2013 event.

Wether DOTA2 and HoN have better graphics is not important... LoL is the game that everyone plays and it has a massive following.

Of course.. gameplay, balance and graphics does not matter because bandwagon rules all!

Can you support that claim?

LoL isn't bad but for me Dota 2 is the king of MOBA. In terms of shooters, well Shootmania has potential.

[URL='https://www.techspot.com/community/members/vitalyt.296220/'][B][U]VitalyT[/U][/B][/URL][COLOR=#3e4e5c] [/COLOR] said:
I can already picture fat'n'ugly nerds sprouting from their basements with t-shirts that say "Recognize!", and it scares the hell out of me...

You forgot to add virgins. :D

Who cares what the best MOBA is. You have to admit that without LoL you would not have million dollar prizes, weekly HD games, actual leagues that unite the world once a year and many more.

And again LoL manages a first: the first esport to become a pro sport. All that's left is for starcraft and dota2 to follow suite.

"In other news professional gaming is the leading cause of brain aneurysms in young adults.....the sport needs to be safer"

I hate Call of Duty, but I gotta hand it to them...they're popular and the sheep will keep playing their games. LoL is a popular game, don't get me wrong, but do not underestimate the fact that brainless 360 and PS3 owners play that game online a LOT. I'm very surprised that it is not included with LoL in eSports as a division of its own.
http://caas.raptr.com/most-played-games-march-2013/

I hate Call of Duty, but I gotta hand it to them...they're popular and the sheep will keep playing their games. LoL is a popular game, don't get me wrong, but do not underestimate the fact that brainless 360 and PS3 owners play that game online a LOT. I'm very surprised that it is not included with LoL in eSports as a division of its own.
http://caas.raptr.com/most-played-games-march-2013/
people still play that **** game sim city?

people still play that **** game sim city?
Apparently, it has a fanbase. I don't knock games that are popular even if I hate them. I despise CoD (I'm more of a Battlefield guy), but I understand that they're very successful. I despise EA, but apparently Sim City is popular.

Back