Computer freezes after a minute or two

Lately my PC started to freeze; I could play a game for an hour or two without any problems, but whenever I've opened a browser, or played a video or audio files, computer froze after a minute or two. So I reinstalled Win10 and as soon as it was installed, I got a blue screen error (CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT); sometimes it freezes without a blue screen. In the task manager I've noticed that only 3 of 4 sticks of RAM are recognized, so I've tested & re-seated them all and at some point they're shown correctly; I've even re-applied thermal paste on the CPU, but still the same errors. Is there any solution to find out what is causing this? 'Cause I don't want to buy a new MB or CPU if I'm not 100% sure. I've used memtest86 to test RAM, completes all 4 passes without errors (as provided in the attach pictures). Is there any proper way to test CPU & MB to find out which one is faulty, just to be sure?

Attachments

Kshipper

TechSpot Elite
I have had this where the GSkill Trident Z Neo 32GB RAM kit I was using would test 100% OK with Memtest but when Windows came up. I would only see half the memory. Before I could fix anything I just decided I am going to buy a memory kit that is on the QVL so I got GSkill 32GB Aegis memory and worked out of the box, no issues. Maybe that's what is going on with yours?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, funny thing happened...I reinstalled Windows again, but this time I used a mediacreationtool (probably with the latest version) unlike previous few attempts when I used the original Windows installation USB. And I've been installing drivers & software for the last 45 minutes and without any bluescreen errors or whatsoever. Don't even have a clue how it's working at the moment; could it be that it was the Windows installation USB incompatibility causing those errors while using the latest bios? Other than that I don't have a slightest idea :/

cliffordcooley

Bad memory modules caused my misfortune of freezes. Never had a freeze where it wasn't caused by hardware issues.

A lot of times just re-seating your hardware corrects these issues. But that is usually with older systems. New systems don't have tarnished connectors and therefor less likely to have bad connections.

Kshipper

TechSpot Elite
Well, funny thing happened...I reinstalled Windows again, but this time I used a mediacreationtool (probably with the latest version) unlike previous few attempts when I used the original Windows installation USB. And I've been installing drivers & software for the last 45 minutes and without any bluescreen errors or whatsoever. Don't even have a clue how it's working at the moment; could it be that it was the Windows installation USB incompatibility causing those errors while using the latest bios? Other than that I don't have a slightest idea :/
Anything is possible in computer land Jay Jay =)