Computer freezes after I wake it up

Bark4Soul

I don't know how to title this accordingly, in a nutshell however, when I am working on my computer everything is fine, however when I step away from it for an hour or so, I will move my mouse and the mouse moves for a split second and then the whole computer freezes and I have to hard reboot it :(

I have noticed that when I keep something running in the backround (i.e. Vuze, video encoding program, etc) it usually ups the % to like 90% or so that I can walk away from it for hours on end. Can someone help me isolate the issue, what do you need from me to know more about why it's crashing?

Thank you in advance,

-Bark

Had you installed any new software or made any changes before the problem started.

It would also help to know what the make and model of the PC is and your operating system.

Just to confirm, the computer freezes as soon as you wake it up from sleep? Apart from the high CPU usage when encoding video, which is fairly normal, are there any other symptons?

No recently installed software that I can think of

This is an Asus CM5570 with Windows 7 Home on it.

No other symptoms as far as I can tell, after something shuts itself off, I will wake it up and sometimes it freezes, other times it does not. Is there any other info I can give you?

When you get the freeze do not turn the system off and wait patiently. There maybe an error message (i.e: blue screen). let me know what happens.

Create the freeze then get the system to boot normally and look in event viewer (type eventvwr in search and hit Enter).

Look in the centre pane under "Summary or Administrive Events" for Critical errors in the last hour, click the + to expand it and post back the details.

Okay I can do that, I will get back to you later today when I am off work, and then I will let you know what it says, one thing i can tell you though is that it never does come back after it freezes, something causes it to freeze and I need to hard reset it, I can try and let it go though for a few minutes.

Try and let it go for half an hour before you give up, just a few minutes may not be long enough.

Do you have the windows 7 disc or can you borrow one that is the same version as yours, it must also be at the same service pack level to aid repairs if needed.

I believe this box came pre loaded with Win 7 on it, but I can get my hands on one if I need to, are you afraid I might need to reformat, or just repair the installation? Cause it didn't used to do this when I first got it.

Try this setting change.

1. Click Start, Control Panel, Power Options.
2. Click "Change Plan Settings" on the Balanced (recommended).
3. Click "Change Advanced Power Settings".
4. Under the "Turn off Hard Disc after" option change the timing to 0 which will set it to Never. Click Apply and OK.

Are you running with Windows Update turned on as this problem was quite common with the Beta and RC versions, later corrected with updates. It is a problem that has many suggested solutions, the one above seems one of the most logical. Not allowing the hard drive to switch off should fix the issue.

You could also have a look in your Bios and make sure that your BIOS is set to S3 Sleep Mode in Power settings. This is important because some enable both S1 and S3 at the same time, which will result in a hang on waking your system up.

This is the information I have for that error. Having changed the HD options has it made any difference to the problem?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

Most likely cause,
Faulty power supply or insufficient wattage.
Overheating.
Overclocking.
Faulty memory.

I actually doubt that this error has anything to do with the freezing. It is most probably generated every time you have had to force a reboot.

If changing the hard drive options have not made any difference then try enabling a screen saver (if you don't have one).

I have a screen saver after 25 minutes, and it has happened once since I changed the HD options, can I get a new power supply? Or what else would u suggest? I will read over that link

Either of those resolution u recommend me trying first?

Before investigating the Event ID 41 error can you just confirm if this coincided with you doing a forced reboot? If so then you can ignore it.

What time period have you got set for sleep and/or hibernation.

My screen and everything goes off after 25min or so, and if by forced reboot you mean I have to push and hold the power button down to kill the box, than yes, it's happening after I made these changes.

OK, try this. At the desktop Click on Start, and then type cmd into the search box, right click on cmd in the po up menu and select Run As Administrator. At the command prompt type in chkdsk /r (include the gap) and hit Enter. It will ask if you wish to run on reboot answer "Y" hit Enter and reboot the PC.

This will check your hard drive for file system errors and do a surface scan. It may take up to an hour or more depending on the size of the drive and might appear to freeze, let it finish and watch out for any error messages as it progresses.

OK, it may have made some repairs that you missed, see if the problem continues.

If it does we can look to see if a system service is causing the problem.

Hey, so it's been a few weeks and this issue is still happening, any other info I can provide to help you guys out at all :(

Welcome back, try this:

Right-click on the Start button then select “Properties.”

Click the taskbar tab, then uncheck the “Auto-hide the taskbar” box.

If this doesn't work then it may be time to go down a different route. There are dozens of different solutions for this so it could take a long time to find one that works.

The thing I would try next is to go to the Asus support site http://support.asus.com/download/Options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1 and then download and install all the latest chipset drivers.

If that doesn't work see if there is a Bios update, if you go into the Bios from start up you will see the current version displayed.

Do you happen to know where i would get an updated BIOS driver? And thank you for the above info - I will go get some new drivers as soon as I am back home

You will find the Bios at the same place as the chipset drivers. There should be instructions on the site as to how to use the update, get it wrong and your PC may be unbootable.

sooo it's been a while since I updated on this. I don't know what would have caused it but two months ago I bought a 27" LED Samsung monitor, installed the new drivers and since then I have not had one issue with my computer freezing up. Any idea on what would cause this? My old monitor was a 22" LCD Samsung 220WM.

Just thought I'd say thank you for the help, I love this site but wouldn't mind hearing any thoughts on what could have caused all this grief.

Hi again, I am pleased to hear you have got the problem fixed but my best guess would be that there was a fault in the old monitor. Not something I have come across before.

Back