Computer freezes and then restarts with a quick blue screen before startup

deanbrown10

As above my computer freezes up, my graphics card failed a few months ago so I bought a new one. I installed the latest nvidia drivers for it and downloaded and installed them. When I tried to play any games Left 4 Dead or MW2 through steam it would freeze up and pix-elate and then my computer would restart.
I figured it must have been a dodgy graphics card, so I bought a new one. I used the latest drivers and the problems persisted, So I used the drivers from the disc and everything was ok. Until last week when I started having problems again.
What happens now is the screen will freeze and nothing will work on the keyboard and you need to manually reset. If I use the latest drivers it will pix-elate and switch off itself.
I have had the RAM checked that's ok, the temperatures have been tested and are fine. I tried another graphics card and removed all drivers and didn't work.
I have also formatted the computer which has made no difference.
Is there anything else that it could be, possibly processor, PSU or motherboard or could it be the power source in the house. I don't want to replace things if they are not faulty.
If you require any computer spec or error reports if they come up I will post them later for you

Give us your system hardware icluding make and model. Also...

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Dmp Files uploaded as requested

Attachments

• Mini111610-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 2
  • Mini111610-02.dmp
    96 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini111710-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 2
Two errors are 0x8E and these are almost always caused by hardware though sometimes drivers can be the cause. Both cited the Nvidia driver nv4_mini.sys as the cause of your system crashes.

The third error is 0xEA and these are caused by faulty video drivers. This file cited the Nvidia display driver nv4_disp.dll as the cause of your crash.

Try the following:

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions; make sure the version will work with your OS) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; leave any other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

Right then I have done as asked and still got the same problem, I have also installed a earlier nvidia driver but still have the same problem I have attached the dmp files for the recent crashes

system info
Computer - Antec (I think)
OS - Microsoft Windows XP Pro version 5.1.2600 service pack 3
Processor - AMD aTHLON 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
Motherboard - AsusTek Computer INC model M2V
RAM - 3gig
Graphics - Nvidia GeForce 210

The last dmp file -04 is with different graphic drivers the 2 I have tried are 260.99 &260.89
Could it be something on the motherboard causing it to go faulty, I did run it without the drivers installed and it seemed ok it just froze for a few seconds like it was refreshing the screen

Attachments

• Mini111710-02.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini111710-03.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini111710-04.dmp
    96 KB · Views: 1
Same error codes and same Nvidia drivers as before.

Question: How old is your system and have you done a BIOS update since you purchased said system?

i think its 07/09/2006 or at the least thats what the BIOS says and i have never done a BIOS update not sure how to one

i think its 07/09/2006 or at the least thats what the BIOS says and i have never done a BIOS update not sure how to one

I would say that a BIOS update is due and may be your issue here. These are not hard to do but there are some things that are essential in doing so.

Can you link us to your motherboard's website?

have updated the BIOS, it worked fine for a few hours even let me play left 4 dead 2 for a bit and then half way through watching a movie it crashed and froze but this time no dmp files were created which is strange is the motherboard faulty or something else

Let's approach this from a different angle and a possibility you raised in your first post. What is your psu make and model and what wattages does it purport to supply?

Have you ever tested a power supply using a multimeter or do you have a friend/associate who can?

not sure about a multimeter test one of my friends can try that but not until next week the make and model is
Antec Earthware 380W

not sure about a multimeter test one of my friends can try that but not until next week the make and model is
Antec Earthware 380W

I would hold off running this system until you can test that power supply because a faulty psu can damage other hardware. I am not saying your psu is the problem but at this point caution is the best policy.

Interpreting Your Results with a Multimeter/Power Tester

The general range of safe voltages is as follows (plus or minus 5%, according to the ATX standard)

+12v rail (11.40v - 12.60v)
+5v rail (4.75v - 5.25v)
+3.3v rail (3.13 - 3.47v)

Just because it's within that range does not mean it's doing its job.

Good Results would....
-have little variation between idle and load
-stay very close to intended voltage (12.6 is not desirable)

Bad Results would....
-have a larger variation between idle and load
-go below or above the 5% ATX standard

my friend who i took the pc to originally said he tested the psu and the voltages were fine but he said it was hard to test under load which I dont know what that means and also he said the only way to make sure was to try a larger psu is this correct or should he be doing a proper multimeter test

Back