Computer freezes for short time

Mieto

Hello, I've had this problem for a very long time but only recently it has become annoying. Every now and then when accessing my F: drive (windows installed on C: drive), opening firefox, starting a download or playing a game my computer freezes for about 3-5 seconds while making a sound like the hard drive is loading / buffering or something. After that it resumes normally, only to appear again after 2-3 hours.

It's particularly annoying during intense FPS games or such when the freezing happens, I basically can't do anything only to find myself dead in the game afterwards :|

Is there any solution to this? Or does anyone recognize the problem? I'm not really an expert at this stuff and would appreciate a possible workaround which doesn't involve removing / replacing any hard drives and / or other components!

Thanks in advance.

yo Mieto,

Ok just for clarification is the F: drive another hard drive
also the sounds that you are hearing on the hard drive - do you get a clicking sound on when the hard drive is spinning? if so it could be your hard drive is on its way out.

do you know what hard drive you have in the PC?

James

Yes the F: drive is another hard drive, which is ST31000528AS Barracuda 1TB and C: is Maxtor 6Y160M0 160GB. I do hear a "click" sound after it has done loading or something. Also, this Barracuda hard drive is only about 1 year old, while Maxtor is around 2-3 years old.

Downloaded Superantispyware and ran complete computer scan, which resulted clean.

Meh so it could be the Seagate is about to fail? :/ A friend of mine has the exact same hard drive and he did recommend it to me :/ His is a lot older than mine too

Finished check disk, nothing out of ordinary there. Gonna run that Seagate hard drive test tool now.

You have Windows installed on the C drive. Disconnect the F drive and see if the freezing stops...

Back