Computer Freezes (Graphics Driver Problem?)

Spottyfriend

Over the past week my computer has been freezing and restarting without warning. This does not seem to be a BSOD, as I've had trouble with one before and that used to stay on the screen until I restarted: this automatically restarts.

First I thought it was random, but all of 4 times have been whilst playing various games on Steam. Each time also seemed to be in response to an action within the game: I click on something in the menu - freeze and restart; I get killed in-game - freeze and restart.

My computer is powerful enough to run all the games I have on full graphics setting and I have never had any trouble like this before; it is recent and has only started within the last week or so.

What on earth is going on?

IMO, you're stressing the video system (ie graphics driver). Go online and search for an update to your graphics card.

After you look for an updated video driver, and if it doesn't help, is this a laptop or desktop computer?

My video driver is fully updated and yet this still happens, though last time it happened there was a quick error message that popped up that mentioned NVIDIA so its definitely something to do with that. This is a desktop we're talking about.

I think this might be getting worse - even on the smallest windowed mode this happens... I can't really play any games right now.

Last edited:
I may have fixed it - or at least it seems that way from my quick test. I'll post back if this problem reoccurs but for those with a similar problem, see this.

I think that you'd have to swap the power supply out to check but it could also be the graphics card. I've had a few of those die on me and I play few games. Look to see if the fan is spinning properly and download a free program to check the temperatures of the cpu and gpu eg Speedfan.

Back