Computer freezes permanently after new gpu installation

computer user

I have recently purchased a new gpu (GT 710) for my old system. After installing the gpu, the pc started to freeze and then it requires a hard restart it works sometimes but mostly it freezes. It freezes anytime like during startup or normal operation even while watching movies. It also freeze in games so I underclocked it using msi afterburner, now it don't freeeze while gaming but after startup if it freeze in 10 minutes then I have to restart it otherwise it works ok. I think there is a problem either with gpu or psu as everything in my pc is upgraded except the psu. Please tell me what to do?

Some thoughts and some questions:
? 'new' used GPU or truly 'new' new ?
? close inspection - no brown spots or broken traces or physical damage ?
? loose heat sink ?

I gather that you removed old drivers (using DDU?) and installed new one from nVidia. You checked condition of motherboard PCIe slot before inserting card. You confirmed card is fully inserted in slot.

Please provide model and version for card and motherboard.

Last edited:
Some thoughts and some questions:
? 'new' used GPU or truly 'new' new ?
? close inspection - no brown spots or broken traces or physical damage ?
? loose heat sink ?

I gather that you removed old drivers (using DDU?) and installed new one from nVidia. You checked condition of motherboard PCIe slot before inserting card. You confirmed card is fully inserted in slot.

Please provide model and version for card and motherboard.
The GPU is new purchased from amazon with 3 years warranty and the card name is GT 710 2GB GDDR3
There are no brown spots and the card is installed perfectly
I have used DDU to remove my old drivers
Heat sink is perfectly fit and the temps are fine
My motherboard is Zebronics G31
Motherboard's PCIe slot is also in a good condition
I suspect my PSU is overheating as sometimes it gives strange noises and sometimes when I turn on the system it won't start displaing "no signal detected" but fans continue to spin and one last thing to mention sometimes it displays a BSOD with a stopcode : Whea Uncorrectable Error

Last edited:
A GeForce 710 consumes less than 20W of power, so one would assume that even a cheap PSU could manage that. However, if it's on it's last legs then any additional current draw could cause problems. You can get simple but decent 400W PSUs for under $40.

"stopcode : Whea Uncorrectable Error " indicates a hardware issue - but it may be Boot Configuration Data or the MBR in addition to HDD, RAM, etc

The Zebronics G31 is a socket T / LGA 775 board which can use up to 4GB of DDR2 - RAM may need reseating.

You mentioned PSU overheat. Why is that so - noises? I wish I could hear them. If it is an old system, could it be dust buildup or a failing fan? You can clean out a PSU by taking it out of the system case and blowing the dust out with a vacuum - just do not open PSU unless you have sound knowledge of electronics - PSU have very dangerous voltages which continue even when turned off. Trying another PSU might identify the true issue.

I gather there are no beep codes (error codes) as the motherboard starts. Wish there were as this can pinpoint problems.

"stopcode : Whea Uncorrectable Error " indicates a hardware issue - but it may be Boot Configuration Data or the MBR in addition to HDD, RAM, etc

The Zebronics G31 is a socket T / LGA 775 board which can use up to 4GB of DDR2 - RAM may need reseating.

You mentioned PSU overheat. Why is that so - noises? I wish I could hear them. If it is an old system, could it be dust buildup or a failing fan? You can clean out a PSU by taking it out of the system case and blowing the dust out with a vacuum - just do not open PSU unless you have sound knowledge of electronics - PSU have very dangerous voltages which continue even when turned off. Trying another PSU might identify the true issue.

I gather there are no beep codes (error codes) as the motherboard starts. Wish there were as this can pinpoint problems.
When I installed the gpu the computer freezed after driver installation, I then downloaded MSI Afterburner and I lowered the GPU core clock and memory clock speed using that after that games were not freezing but it froze during startup, if it freeze within 2 minutes after turning it on, I have to hard reset it otherwise it works fine until I set the core and memory clocks to default it starts freezing again in games. Also I have reseated the ram but nothing worked. When this lockdown will open in India I will replace my PSU, after that it should work correctly at default clock speeds also there are no beep codes.

M
A GeForce 710 consumes less than 20W of power, so one would assume that even a cheap PSU could manage that. However, if it's on it's last legs then any additional current draw could cause problems. You can get simple but decent 400W PSUs for under $40.
My PSU is quite old from 2007, it's labelled 450w but I don't think it provides enough wattage to the GPU. It also sometimes gives strange noises, I guess either the GPU is damaged or the PSU, can you suggest me some tests so I can test my GPU and PSU,
Also the GPU runs fine after I lowered the clock speeds using MSI afterburner, but it gives problem in startup now, it freezes in startup.

What's the full specification of your PC? We can do a quick power requirement estimate, although I suspect 450W will be enough.

If the motherboard has a second PCI Express slot, try putting the card into that and see if anything changes.

What's the full specification of your PC? We can do a quick power requirement estimate, although I suspect 450W will be enough.

If the motherboard has a second PCI Express slot, try putting the card into that and see if anything changes.
My specs are as follows
Processor:E5400(I will upgrade it to q8200 later)
Ram:4GB ddr2 800mhz
GPU: GT 710 2GB GDDR3
HDD: Seagate 500GB
Motherboard: Zebronics G31
PSU: OEM 450w (It's very old, I don't think it is providing all the power to the system)
Motherboard don't have second pcie slot. I guess it's the psu failure as when I lower the clock speeds the PC runs fine but I get low performance in games.

Okay, so total power consumption will be less than 150W (a Core 2 Quad Q8200 will push this to around 180W), so a 450W PSU will be enough. It sounds very much like your current one is failing (or already failed).

Okay, so total power consumption will be less than 150W (a Core 2 Quad Q8200 will push this to around 180W), so a 450W PSU will be enough. It sounds very much like your current one is failing (or already failed).
Ok, so when this lockdown due to corona virus will open in India, I will purchase a new PSU. Thanks for your support.

Back