Computer freezes, with sound repeating

Status
Not open for further replies.

biffenbob

Alright hope this is the correct spot, if not sorry about that.

For the last week or so my computer will randomly (I have not noticed any correlation between the crashes yet) freeze completely up and what ever the last sound was is repeated non-stop until I power down the system and boot it back up. I have updated both graphic and sound drivers. I have also taken a can of air to computer and cleaned it out.

I’m not sure what information you would all want/need so figured I would give the basics. If I am missing or need to add something let me know.

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: EP35-DS3L
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM

Any help/ideas appreciated thanks,
Riley

I'm sorry just to throw tools at you, but this could also be a faulty Harddrive
Please run a Drive Diagnostics on your HardDrive

If the Harddrive Diagnostics also turns up ok
Then it can be other faulty hardware, including your Video card or any other connected device (including faulty PowerSupply)
You may also want to reset your Bios settings (from pressing the appropriate key, usually DEL or F2) on system startup, then locating and enabling "defaults", then save and exit
Plus remove any attached Hardware (including external USB connections)

My feeling are that this is a hardware fault
But some software (if conflicting) can look as though it is a hardware fault

Therefore I would suggest that you turn off any Windows Startups
Also run CCleaner
Run a Checkdisk
As well as uninstall any programs, such as Antivirus\Firewall or even virtual software programs (note you are in Test mode)
Lastly you can also run a Repair of Windows

I generally feel as though is Hardware though, so best to start with that.

I can live with doing tests, plus its always interesting to learn new things.

I ran the hard drive scan it also turned up clean (using the Western digital “Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows”). I turned off the window start ups and did the cleaner. I also ran through the Check disk and ran the Repair windows both turning up no errors. So far no crashes, but it sometimes took some time. I will update this either when I crash again, or in a few days if it seems to have stopped. Thank you for your help

Alright, whats the reason behind upping the temperature limit? (Just trying to learn). And after that just hit monitor and leave it running tell it crashes again?

How long should I let this run before just stopping it? Is there a certian time when its a safe bet there is nothing wrong? Or will this crash/find an error at some point no matter what?

Edit:

Ok I ran the Occt for 1 hour 19 min. When I came back my screen was black, but I could get to the task bar, and windows task Manager. But no other programs would be visible but if I left my mouse on were my desktop was it would pop up explaining the icon there. I managed to hit the off button on the program, and then I logged out and logged back in and it seems to have fixed that. Should I not allow the computer screensaver to come up during this?

I ran the mem test a few days ago (see above). Turned up clean. I went into my bios, but I couldnt tell what version I had, were would this normally be?

I'll just but in and state that, even the bios (or motherboards) manufacture does not confirm that a Bios update may in fact stop your computer from working again !

Usually on highly respected manufactures (ie Dell HP so forth) the Bios update will not cause ill affect. I say usually. Because again it is possible to stop a computer from turning on again.

Your choice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back