Computer freezing and BSOD

Seizo

Hey guys I've recently bought a computer and it was working fine for the first couple of weeks but lately it has been completely freezing randomly and sometimes even getting a BSOD after the freeze. It happens randomly, during games, watching movies or even browsing. The screen will be stuck on whatever I was doing and stay that way unless I do a hard reset. I have 3 crash reports at the moment, I'm not too familiar with computers much at all so I wasn't sure what I was looking at in the event viewer either. I usually get an Event ID 41 after the crash called kernel power?

My system specs are:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz
Ram: 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8Z68-V LX (LGA1155)
GPU: 1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6770
SSD: OCZ-AGILITY3
PSU: 650w

Thanks for any help that can be provided..

Attachments

• Crash.zip
    153.8 KB · Views: 3
You are showing that you have a ATI Radeon video card, but a minidump is showing a problem with an Nvidia graphics card. The motherboard specs show that you have both Nvidia and ATI graphics that is switchable by the bios, Do you have all the motherboard drivers installed? Is Windows fully updated?

Oh yes I forgot to mention, I switched out my ATI card with my old GTS 250 as some people suggested the video card might have been causing the problem but it still continued to freeze. I updated the chipset driver for the motherboard after I made the topic, and it hasn't frozen (yet). My windows is currently up to date but it's showing a fair few of them as failed updates, but for some reason it isn't prompting me to fix/update any of them at all?

You may have to shutdown and/or restart and run Windows Update to "fix" the failed updates

I'm not too sure exactly what you mean by shutdown/restart it.. I have tried turning the updates on/off and I've ran the microsoft FixIt tool but it doesn't come up with any errors. I still get any of the latest updates that come out, it's just that its not really recognising the old ones as failed.

For failed updates look for a little dark icon by the shutdown button. If you see one, you have to shutdown the computer and the computer will install some updates before it shuts down. For other problem updates you can restart and then run Window Update manually again

Hmm, I updated the chipset driver for my MOBO and the computer was working fine until now, it has started freezing again randomly... Do you guys think it would be driver or hardware related? I'm considering doing a fresh install of windows, this is getting frustrating.

Unfortunately not.. It even updated again recently for the new windows updates that came out but it made no attempt or anything at the failed ones, there's no option anywhere for me to try and repair these updates. Would I have to manually install them somehow? There's a fair few of them. Would I be better off just reinstalling windows?

Update: Ok I just had a look at the installed updates and many of the "Failed" updates are showing up in the installed updates? Does that mean they are installed and just showing as failed?

Last edited:
You have to make sure that your motherboard drivers are installed first before running Windows update for the first time... Go ahead and install Windows fresh

Ok I installed windows fresh, everything has been updated properly and successfully, I woke up to my computer being shut off and the usual "computer was not shut down properly" message when booting it up again, I'm certain it froze yet again, and I highly doubt it's a driver issue this time as I have barely anything installed but the necessary motherboard/gpu drivers etc.

Back