Computer keeps crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I'm hoping you can help me with this really annoying problem.

I have a HP dc5100 SFF with the following specs:

- P4 3.2GHz Processor

Upgraded Components:

- (4x1GB) Corsair RAM
- WD 320GB HDD

Recently, whenever I'm on my computer (normally after about 10 mins) it randomly cuts off and reboots it self. I've tried to troubleshoot the problem and I think that I have ruled out that it is a software issue because I installed fresh copy of Win XP SP3 and still had the problem. I also tried Win7 and it still does the same thing.

Any ideas?

Much appreciated,

Stephen

This HP Small Form Factor could be overheating
Or it could be one of your one of your (4x1GB) Corsair ram cards

Try removing 2 of the Ram cards (especially on XP, as 4Gig will not be recognized anyway)
You could also run a Memtest scan on your installed Ram cards

Or you may need to re-thermal paste the CPU, info HERE

Also detach any not required external hardware (usually USB devices like printer so forth)
And if you have time, check Event Viewer: Start > Run > Eventvwr.msc, for any recent events at the time of the crash

One other option is faulty Power Supply too
But best to try the above before purchasing stuff
You may also want to blow out all internal dust, using high compressed air

thanks for the quick reply kimsland,

I took your advice with removing the memory cards and trying memtest. Unfortunately, the computer wont stay up long enough for the test to finish!

Anyways I think that I;ve figured out that it;s a heat issue because I find that when I turn on the computer for the first time after it being off for days it runs for 10 - 15 minutes. But after I start messing with it the time keeps reducing each time as the PC is already warm. AFter about 4 crashes it wont even fully boot before it crashes again.

Does this sound like a heat issue to you also?

Stephen

Just replaced the CPU thermal paste and still no luck. I did however get to check the event viewer. It said that there was a "kernel-power" critical error code 41. Any ideas?

Thanks.

The Bios update will automatically reset the Bios for you
But you should run Bios Setup Defaults then save and exit Bios Setup to confirm

I'd contact HP over this, Info Howto HERE
And ask their thoughts on the error, it may even be a faulty Mobo

I will try safe mode, but I notice that sometimes when it crashes it doesn't come back on. It sits there and beeps and flashes a red light by the power button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back