Computer keeps freezing randomly

[FONT=verdana]On Tuesday of last week (8-21-12) I turned on my PC like I always do. after about 10 minutes of being on and me opening up Diablo 3 my computer completely froze. nothing would respond not even Ctrl+Alt+Del. So I had to hard shut down the computer. After that a few hours later it did it again. this time I was just on internet explorer. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]So with me being the way I am I Reformated my computer to see if that would solve the issue. and it has not.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]So everyday now that I turn on my computer it seems to randomly Freeze. I have ran a windows Memory Diagnostic. I put it on Extra with Cache on and had it run 3 passes. it took about an hour and 20 min and windows found no errors or anything. I have NO idea what could be causing this. I dont wanna spend money if I can target the problem and replace the hardware thats bad. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]I built this computer myself and it has had NO issues since I built it and this time I cant figure it out myself. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]Please is there anything I can run or do to try and locate the problem? Could it be a failing power supply? the one I have in there is a 4-5 year old 1000w psu. here are my computer specs.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]Case - Corsair Obsidian 800D[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]Mobo - Gigabyte X58A-UD3R[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]CPU - Intel i7 930 2.80GHz[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]CPU Cooler - Corsair H70 water cooler[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]Ram - Corsair Dominator Triple channel memory 6GB[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]Video Card - EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 superclocked[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]PSU - Ultra X3 1000w[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]Sound Card - Creative sound blaster X-fi Xtremegamer[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]DvD drive - HP dvd1270[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]Fan controler - Lamptron FC5[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]Fans - 2x 120mm push-pull for H70 cpu cooler. 2x 120mm push-pull over HDD hot swap drive bay. 1x 120mm pushing air up and out case.[/FONT]

Nice system ;)
"So with me being the way I am, I Reformatted my computer to see if that would solve the issue... and it has not" The easiest thing to start with here is the power supply. Are all the fans running normally? Is the PS under the lifetime warranty? Fan controllers can cause trouble. Try disconnecting it temporarily

When you mean start with the power supply what should I do? buy a whole new one? I really dont wanna buy every new peace of hardware to test if its working or not. it will start to get expensive. is there a way to test the PSU without buying a new one?

As I was writing a reply to this post, my computer froze. When I held the power button down and it shut off, I turned it on again the computer fired up but my monitor continued to say no signal... so I held button in again and started it again and it loaded up into windows. what could cause this :(

I have the same problem, although my computer does more then just freeze. Once it freezes during a game or something graphically intense, for days afterwards it can't even load my desktop without freezing. Then, over a period of about a week it will gradually ease in to being able to handle opening Chrome, then video and games. Then it will crash again and the whole process repeats. My fan also sounds like a race car when my computer is booting(only a slight exaggeration).

When you mean start with the power supply what should I do? buy a whole new one? I really dont wanna buy every new peace of hardware to test if its working or not. it will start to get expensive. is there a way to test the PSU without buying a new one?

As I was writing a reply to this post, my computer froze. When I held the power button down and it shut off, I turned it on again the computer fired up but my monitor continued to say no signal... so I held button in again and started it again and it loaded up into windows. what could cause this :(

You came here for advise. You can certainly choose not to do anything at all. Holding the power button to shut off a computer can corrupt hard drive files over time. Set a disk check on next start up, go to computer and right-click on the C drive. Select properties, tools, check now. Put a check in both boxes. Shut down the computer and start it up...

I have the same problem, although my computer does more then just freeze. Once it freezes during a game or something graphically intense, for days afterwards it can't even load my desktop without freezing. Then, over a period of about a week it will gradually ease in to being able to handle opening Chrome, then video and games. Then it will crash again and the whole process repeats. My fan also sounds like a race car when my computer is booting(only a slight exaggeration).

Japedo,
It's not polite to hijack someone else's thread. Please start your own thread...

Tmagic. I do want advise and I think you for helping. I will run a disk check. and let ya know what happens. I didnt mean to bash your response in any way. just wonder if I need to start replacing each peace of hardware 1 by 1 or not.

Tmagic. I ran the disk check. and it completed successfully. it showed no errors or anything. it took about 5 hours to do... but I let it run. I have also replaced my evga 570 superclocked with a Geforce GTS 250 to see if my PC will freeze up. I will keep you updated. in the mean time what should I do now to test out my system?

Let it run with the video card change and if it doesn't freeze you will know where the problem lies...

Tmagic. So when I did that Disk test like I said I already had the old video card in system. and it passed.

And today. I got home from work, Booted up my system and its still on without any issues. So I think the issue was the video card. I had asked a buddy of mine who helped me build my first computer and he said it was probably bad RAM on the video card itself.

The card itself, EVGA gtx 570 superclocked was still under warenty so I sent it out RMA to evga and they are gonna send me a replacement.

I will keep you updated if any more issues shows up but I think the video card was the culprit.
THanks for your help

Sounds good, I agree it is probably the video card. The reason I had you do the disk test is because when a computer freezes or locks up, that action can corrupt the hard drives files... Thanks for the update :)

Back