Computer keeps freezing up randomly. Mobo fault?

Cobranz

HI
i have had some problems with my new computer.
after i install windows 7 it will work for a random period of time. have done a memory test and comes back all fine. prior to that i cycled through trying each stick of ram and it ran slightly longer with only 1 gb of ram .

what can i do to figure out what needs to be done.

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus, 600W ATX PSU
Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 Video Card, Radeon HD 6670, 512MB, DDR5, PCIe-16
Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93Ghz, 1066MHz FSB, Socket 775
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS Hard Disk Drive, 500GB
Kingston ValueRAM KVR800D2N5/1G, 1x1GB, DDR2-800, PC2-6400, CL5, DIMM x2
Kingston ValueRAM, 2x1GB, DDR2-800, PC2-6400, CL5, DIMM
Asus P5QL-E Motherboard, Socket 775, 1333MHz FSB, 4xDIMM DDR2, PCIe-16, 3xPCI, 2xPCIe-1, 12xUSB2, Firewire, Audio, ATA, RAID, ATX
Asus DRW-2014L1T DVD Writer, DVD 16R/20W/8RW

Okay, please explain further what you mean it works for a random period of time. What occurs when it suddenly doesn't work? What are you doing when these issues occur?

by random period of time. it could be 2 minutes after start up or could be 30 minutes. it varies and the computer just freezes up. sometimes there is a squeal out the speakers on the monitor when it happens sometimes there is not. and mainly just updating drivers. surfing the net. watching you tube when it happens or when its sitting idle it does it.

We want you to run Memtest on your RAM. It is more comprehensive.

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version which is 4.20. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn ISO to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

There is a Tutorial: How to use Memtest in our Guides and Tutorials forum; follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes (not hours; this test is not measured by hours); the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Get back to us with the results.

been busy at work. did this last night while playing playstation. tested all 4 sticks of ram and did 8 passes on each and came back with no errors

As per the motherboard manual what slots are to be filled in a 2x1 configuration and have you tried running it is said configuration?

have not looked at manual recently but have tried 1 stick in all slots. two sticks in and alternating slots and does not change anything

Find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

Also, refer to your manual.

Back