Can I install OSX on this comp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmotz

Can I install OSX Leopard or Snow Leopard on my Compaq Presario?
Here are the specs...

Motherboard description Motherboard manufacturer's name: Asus M2N68-LA
HP/Compaq name: Ivy8-GL6

CPU/Processor Socket: AM2
Supports the following processors:
Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology
Athlon 64
Sempron

Front-side bus (FSB) 2000MT/s (2.0 GT/s)

Chipset NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

BIOS features System BIOS core brand: Award
Keyboard combination to used to enter BIOS: F10

Form factor Micro-ATX: 9.6 in X 9.6 in

Memory Dual channel memory architecture
Two 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
Supported DIMM types:
PC2-4200 (533 MHz)
PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
Supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs
Supports up to 4 GB*
32 bit PCs cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.

I doubt it. I do remember something about OSX requiring special hardware for it to be installed.

It could be possible, but since it's not legal (apple clearly states that it is prohibited to install OSX on non-apple hardware) it may be a bad idea to discuss this in this forum.

With intel processor, windows can be installed on mac platform as parallel OS. But there is no other way, at least in legal sense.
o.gif

I thought the biggest issue was more related to the bootup procedure being fundamentally different to the way in which traditional motherboard BIOS systems work.

Your also very likely to encounter problems with non-proprietry (sp) hardware, not used on OSX platforms.

A way around this issue, and the legalities of it would be to install Linux, and then customise the desktop and graphical interface to that of OSX feel.

It would be a lot more reliable and less prone to failure, and even I have to admit that in the past I've done this, and with time you can get it almost spot on!

The downside being it never will be OSX, no matter how much it might look like it is. Linux is however free, and there is nothing illegal about doing it this way as your not using Mac software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back