Computer Restarts While Installing Sound Drivers

I have no idea why the heck it's doing this. I've tried the installation at least 3 times already and still the same
result. It keeps on rebooting when the install bar is at the very end and it's installing the last file. Then it boots up again and says 'Multimedia audio Controller detected'. Sometimes it says 'Realtek AC-97' Device detected. But it seems to switch randomly. I recently installed Windows XP SP3 and I needed the driver for my multimedia audio controller. I checked the devmgmt.msc and its saying that a driver is needed, and I've tried updating the driver through devmgr and thats where it screws up.
this page
http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/hewlett-packard-09e0h-mainboard-specifications/
lists the specs for my motherboard. The audio codec, I assume, I need is the Realtek ADI 1981B – AC97 multimedia audio driver.Maybe I got the wrong one but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated :)
btw I have an HP DC5100 MT.

I would say that you are trying to install the wrong driver. Go to the Realtek driver site and see if you can find an older driver from there. Is there no driver on the HP site? You know XP is no longer supported

I would say that you are trying to install the wrong driver. Go to the Realtek driver site and see if you can find an older driver from there. Is there no driver on the HP site? You know XP is no longer supported
Does that mean If my XP is new, windows update wont install updates until the point the support ended? Also I dont know if I should get a SOUNDMAX driver or is Realtek the ones who handle the multimedia audio controller drivers?

You might try the Soundmax driver and you won't be able to get anything much from Windows Update for XP any longer

Back