Computer runs slow for no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richardw9

My computer has started running slow recently but i have no idea why Iv only had it around two years. i have 1GB ram and decent processor but still it runs slowly. I think it might be running hot but im not sure is there a way to tell?

How do you know it is running slower than usual? Have you run cleaners like Glary Utilities and CCleaner? Do you have Norton (symantec) or McAfee installed? And while you are at it, what are your system specs?

Iv been reading other threads and i think the problem is Norton 360 do you know if this slows your computer down?

Norton, along with malware, is the main cause of sluggish PC performance. Try installing a lighter antivirus like Avast! (free) or NOD32 (pay).
Also, use a third-party firewall as well as anti-spyware programs. Good firewalls include the ZoneAlarm, Comodo and Kerio Sunbelt. All are free. I personally use Comodo, and highly recommend it over the others. Good antispyware programs include Spybot: S&D, Ad-Aware and Spyware Doctor (Google Pack version recommended).

Your problem just started recently? go to task manager and see how many processes you have running in the background,I bet there are alot and your cpu usage is through the roof.
Disable the ones with high usage except for explore.exe you need that one

You could also try disabling startup programs that you don't need and also disable services that you don't you would use.

Also get CCleaner to remove temp files, defrag your hard drive and run disk cleanup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back