Computer runs slow

Bisley

Randomly, about 2-3 weeks ago my computer began to run slowly. If I'm just browsing the internet or using word documents and things like that it is fine and I cannot tell. The problem lies in things like playing games or running programs like itunes. I checked for all virus/malware, and there was nothing that I could see. I did a defrag and cleaned/cleared the registry and temp folder. Does this sound like it could be a hardware or driver problem? If its not a virus, could you give me a few other reason a computer would start doing this randomly.

Overheating? What are the computers specs?

I added it on the attachment below, I don't know if you wanted something more specific than that. let me know. Does this sound like something from overheating?

Attachments

• compspecs.jpg
    compspecs.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 20
Here is the temps too for my cpu, idk if that is good or not.(in the attachment)

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 14
Temps don't look bad. Can you perform a "Factory Restore" on this laptop? How old is it? How much free space is left on the hard drive?

It's not a laptop, it's a desktop. I have a lot of things I need on the computer right now for my classes and a lot of music/images, and no way to store them in order to run a factory restore. Factory Restore is kinda out of the question right now. I just don't understand how it can be fine one day, then run so sluggish the next with games and such.

I don't believe it is that, Could it be some sort of driver problem? I updated my graphics driver the other day and that didn't do anything.

"I don't believe it is that"...
Well, I'm just throwing out some ideas... Are there any yellow exclamation points in the device manager?

Nope, nothing that I can see. It has something to do with my CPU I believe. It is always running with high usage when I have multiple applications like itunes and chrome open. yes, it should have higher usage when I do have multiple programs, but it never ran this much before. It should not be over 90% with just itunes and one browser open.

What antivirus program are you running? Whenever we see complaints about high CPU usage, 99% of the time, it is caused programs and program conflicts, not the CPU itself

i'm currently not running one on this computer. When Norton subscription ended I never renewed it or got a different one. I haven't really needed too have one, i'm pretty careful about what I download and what sites I visit. This really is quite confusing to me as this randomly started one day. Went to bed the night before, everything was fine until I started the computer up the next morning. My computer won't even let me get a restore point beyond one week right now, and this problem started almost 3 weeks ago now.

yes its been removed completely because I did a factory reset on my computer about 2 years ago. Yes I have service pack 2. Dwonloading MsE now

To me it sounds like you might have pick up spyware or malware or something along them lines. if not then it can be a program taking up your processing space. There can be multple reasons but those are usally the most common. being careful on the web doesnt matter 100% since once you connect to the web companys and other people start connecting to you. And not having some kind of anti-virus can be bad especially on windows platform. Hopefully MSE helps you.

Have you emptyed your temp and etc. and did a defragment? I dont usually ever do a defragment since most of the time there not to smart and get rid of files i may want to keep. But running windows Disk Cleanup might help. What i want to know is if you can get a screen shot of whats running on your task manger. That might help to see if its a program.

Run your computer in safe mode and see if that fixes the problem, I think if the problem is driver related safe mode should fix it. Another thing you could do is check task manager to see what process causes the high cpu usage.

Have you emptyed your temp and etc. and did a defragment? I dont usually ever do a defragment since most of the time there not to smart and get rid of files I may want to keep. But running windows Disk Cleanup might help. What I want to know is if you can get a screen shot of whats running on your task manger. That might help to see if its a program.

Yes, I've stated all that I have done in my original post. I'm attaching my task manager screen to the Attachments below. Take a look

Attachments

• Task.jpg
    Task.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 8
Idle at 68% alil high i think but thats just me can you do another one but add Memory (Private Working Set). Go to View-> Select Coloumns and aff it there. just in case if you didnt know but it looks like you probably do. This well deteremine whats sucking alot of space in the ram.

*Edit* - but from the picture, google chrome is taking alot (what browers doesnt), lsass.exe is taking much more then it should and im trying to see why but what i notice was msmpeng.exe, that program is from windows defender and in windows vista was a problem it that process from windows defender taking up more resources then it should. That might be causing part of the issue. Question if you dont mind, did your try safe mode like the other member said. If so did it work fine? if not you don't have to do it. I was just curious becuase windows defenfer shouldn't run if you go in safe mode.

I'm actually running a full scan right now, so that's why it is taking up so much currently. I'll get that image up in a sec

*edit* image attached

Attachments

• newtask.jpg
    newtask.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 9
ok i see, that makes sense so .... everything in the task manager is fine from what im comparing the normal rates to...
i would try a reboot after windows defender. scvhost is high but i would think because of the windows defender, if windows defender finds things. let me know. I would use malwarebytes since there virus,etc. is bigger and more up to date. but thats me.

wel then if it runs fine there, i would think off the top of my head, program hogging resources. or to little space on hard drive. i say that because is you have less them 1gb of space it well slow down. if not then thats not it. safe mode uses lik about 500mbs at most for running while regular mode is about 2gbs. this is the paging and areas for decompression and compression. if not then the only thing i can think of is windows was acting up on the first boot or you have malware and spyware and windows defender didnt find it and neither did MSE. and if thats the case use malwarebytes to see if it finds anything. its free so dont worry

Back