Computer shuts off on its on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I just built my own computer about 4 weeks ago. Last night it was raining, which for some reason, I didnt think anything of it. Well this morning, my computer shuts off on its own. I pulled out the power cord and, pluged it back in, and turned right on. Well, after repeating this process over and over again, I reformatted. I installed windows SP3 instead on my windows xp pro sp2, but for some reason, it keeps shutting off on its own. Everything I bought is brand new and seems to be running correctly. Ive replaced almost everything in the tower, and it keeps doing this to me.

Windows Edition: Windows Xp Professional, Version 2008, Service pack 3

System: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+, 2.50 GHz, 2.00 GB of ram

Video: XFX GEForce 8400 GS

Ive scanned with avg, spyhunter, microsoft windows malicious software removal tool, Panda Active 2.0 scan, and a few others as well. Nothing comes up with a virus or any sort.

Sharn said:
Alright, I just built my own computer about 4 weeks ago. Last night it was raining, which for some reason, I didnt think anything of it. Well this morning, my computer shuts off on its own. I pulled out the power cord and, pluged it back in, and turned right on. Well, after repeating this process over and over again, I reformatted. I installed windows SP3 instead on my windows xp pro sp2, but for some reason, it keeps shutting off on its own. Everything I bought is brand new and seems to be running correctly. Ive replaced almost everything in the tower, and it keeps doing this to me.

Can you expand on the bold text? Upon plugging your PC back in and powering it on, did it fail to boot? Did it just shut back off on you? Did things eventually change? Have you tried another wall outlet? If it just restarts do you notice this at any time in specific? Are you given any errors?

Details, details and more details...

Truely sorry about that, I did infact move the pc, and when I unplugged the cable and plugged it back in. It stayed off until I hit the power button. Also everything is acting the same, it can take 20mins to an hour. But it still turns off on its own. I get no form of errors either. I went to properties under my computer to change a setting earlier, the turn computer off on an error. but it will still turn off on its own. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it. If you need any further info, Just let me know. Thanks

How do your system's temperatures look?

Try borrowing a power cord and a PSU from someone if you can. Try the power cord and then the PSU.

did you apply updates?

if you have built your own, did you apply updates first thing? Is all of the hardware packed with the latest and greatest?

"I installed windows SP3 instead on my windows xp pro sp2,"

SP3 final version was just released to the public a few days ago. I think I'd suggest you uninstall it first and see if this restores sanity to your system. You may be able to do this using a system Restore before 4/1/08.

There were suggestions to be followed before the install of PS2. I would think a similar rundown would be needed for SP3:
1. A system should be clean! Run AV and spyware/adware program, maybe even an online scan for each also.
2. Read as much as you can about what to check after a significant D/L like this. It was clearly stated that it would cause some changes in settings-so that would be the best to check right away.
3. Create your own System Restore Point before ANY update from MS. It is not uncommon for an update to cause some system problem.
4. Know what the update will bring to your system and what that means. In the case of SP2, the Windows firewall would be on by default. IF you have another firewall, make the decision right away which you want to run. Likely best choice will be other than Windows firewall as it only looks at incoming traffic, not outgoing.
5. If you have one of the Security Suites that are so common now, know what it has and does in order to prevent a conflict. Rule of Thumb: only 1 firewall. Rule of Thumb: only 1 AV program. Rule of Thumb: at least two spyware/adware programs.
6. Disabling the Windows firewall requires: bringing up the Security Center and clicking to stop the firewall and making sure the 'Windows Firewall' Service is disabled and stopped.

Adapt as needed for SP3.

I was thinking more of motherboard and hardware updates. After reading over again, If it just shuts off, and doesn't hang, it sounds like environment, IE CPU temp! Take a look at the CPU temp when first fired up, via bios, then look at it again on a 5 minut reboot, if it will stay up that long! If it shuts down, try to boot asap and get the temp. Some products do ship bad!

........power cord..... all that was wrong, was my stupid power cord. I through away my old computer for this same reason. Now atleast I know I through away 1k for nothing :(

If you've had the power cord go bad on two computers you need to seriously look into what you're doing wrong!

Sharn said:
........power cord..... all that was wrong, was my stupid power cord. I through away my old computer for this same reason. Now atleast I know I through away 1k for nothing :(

:) That's the spirit, and that's why you should start simple.

However, as Bobbye pointed out if two cords have failed you might want to get your wall outlets checked or something. It's very rare that they fail, but, we don't even know if that was the case with your last PC so, no reason to get too worried :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back