Computer slow every second time it boots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shifat

My computer, for some reason, goes really slow every second time i turn it on. Like i'd use the pc for let's say 1 hour, then i turn it off, then when turn the pc back on the whole pc goes UBER-SLOW!!! the process of turning slow seems to be FASTER if i turn on a game or something. ive been noticing this problem since the day i bought the computer. PLZ HELP!!!

btw when its going slow i just reboot the pc and then it goes back to normal until i turn it off again. even this one time the pc was sooooo slow that it crashed and the windows BSOD showed up and before i could mark down whats written on the screen the pc reboots automatically. im hoping its just vista...

no its not just vista. you have a piece of hardware or software that is not behaving. It may be a driver. your .dmp file should still be on the system. search for file with the .dmp extension and post it as an attachment. or check your event log.

Something is deffinatly not registering when you load your computer. Make sure in your start up programs that their isnt anything out of wack. go to your "search in vista" and type in msconfig . Check that start up programs are not overwhelming your computer trying to start up and possibly update or whatever they are trying to do. one thing you can do for me is click Ctrl+shift+Esc and tell me your minimum cpu usage when your computer is idle. ( meaning no programs running). Do this right when the computer starts up. The next thing you should do is right click on "My Computer" then click properties and go to devices. Click on your diffrent devices and make sure your drivers are up to date like brucethetech was saying. If you are able to update some drivers make sure your old drivers are deleted.

hey sorry i took long to reply back but where do you find these .dmp files and i also checked the start up tasks, it doesnt show anything that'd cause the the pc to slow down like that, i also just updated my ati drivers to the latest ones but the problem is still there, although its noticeably less. and also this problem was here since i bought the pc, so im pretty tempted to return but all my files are on it

What you are experiencing is an improper shutdown of Windows. Until you determine the cause, the "workaround" is to select F8 on startup and then in the boot menu select "Use Last Known Good Configuration" and that should work.

Probably what is happening is one of your programs is hanging on shutdown and blocking Windows from completing its shutdown. This leaves your Windows startup configuration in a "messed up" state. Exactly what program is hanging and blocking Windows, I'd try using Taks Manager on shutdown and see what's not closing.

-- Andy

that could be the problem because *almost* evreytime i shut down there will always be a program cant shutdown overlay for a split second then windows shuts down normally; the only problem with your assesment is that why would it happen every second time i boot, wouldnt it happen at every boot then?

another thing, ive been having this problem since i brought pc from best buy, i brought it home, let vista install, backed up my and installed nfsu2 after which ive started noticing this random slow down thing

Exactly, I don't know why it's every second time. But you mentioned it started after installing that video game so that's obviously the cause. You should check with the game maker and see if they have a fix for it.

Did the "Use Last Known Good Configuration" work?

-- Andy

i haven't tried the last good configuration yet but i dont think its the game that messed it up... ill try uninstalling it to check if that's the cause

posting back soon

I'm wondering if it could be a ram issue. Can you please run a ram check in your BIOS. Ram is used for short term processing and if something is wrong with the ram it may slow down your start up. Fairly randomly any way. i think its called mem test in bios. Also do a hard drive check. The only other option I can think of is a problem with vista. "lets hope not". It is odd that it loads normal sometimes and slow other times.

well my pc always starts up fast it just gets slow once windows desktop starts up. I'll start a mem test now to see if that's the issue. Although the problem may be the hard drive because for no apparent reason my 1 TB hard drive has only about 645GB left and I've only installed a few programs and games. I'm also the only user so it's not from any other stuff anyone else downloaded.

hey btw it's not my ram, my ram is fine im thinking its some sort of software problem

EDIT: one more thing, i'm also suspecting the BIOS battery on the mobo because for some reason my system time never stays correct, like by the end of the week the clock will be 20 minutes behind... could that be it???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back