Computer won't power on after pulling power cord out from computer

The other day I shut my computer down from Windows, and shortly after it shut down I pulled the plug from the computer, not from the wall. A few hours later I went to plug it back in and press the power button but it wouldnt power on at all.

I dont know what it could be, Im not to savvy with hardware.
Any help would be much appreciated, im really not interested in buying new parts right now so Im hoping its an easy fix, if not..then that sucks.

Thanks
-brandon

Pulling the plug after it had shut down should not have been a problem.
You may like to check that you pushed the plug all the way back into the socket and that the switch on the back
of the computer is on and the mains plug is switched on (most common causes of computers not starting)

If you pulled the plug during the shutdown,that could have damaged the hard drive and the operating system.
In that situation the computer will still usually power up,but not load the OS.

Please confirm that it doesn`t power up at all,no lights no sound or that it does power up,but nothing loads up.
Then we can maybe suggest more things.

Well so far absolutely nothing shows any sign of power.

There is a slight chance that I pulled the plug out of the computer before it completely shut down because I was in a fight with my girlfriend and was in a hurry to take that **** lol. Bad idea probably...

Now, when I have the cord plugged into the wall and I connect it to the computer, I can start to hear a little pulsing sound of electricity. When I unplug the cord the pulsing slows down. It sounds like its coming from the power supply.

Thanks for your help again! much appreciated!

EDIT:

Is it possible that a fuse has blown in the power supply? Are there even fuses located in the PSU?

Some PSUs do have a little fuse somewhere,but i`ve never heard of any power problems being fixed by replacing it.:dead:
Given the that a failed psu is the second most popular reason for computers not starting,it would be tempting to just say replace it and be done with it.

However,you did say there was possibility that you pulled the plug during the shutdown.
In that case, i might remove the power connector on the hard drive and then see if you get more action when you switch on.
It`s pretty unlikely,but it would put my mind at rest to try that first.

Also,just make sure you didn`t flip the voltage change switch to 240 volts from 120 volts (assuming you`re in America).
It`s a little switch that`s sometimes near the psu socket.

Failing all that,check your computers documentation and get another psu of the correct form factor and power.
They`re pretty easy to fit (see web for step-by-step guides)

Ok I tried pulling the power from the HD's and still got nothin.

The Power converter switch thing is still set at the American voltage.

Thanks for your replies, Inforanop. Im going to take the machine into a computer store today and see what they say about the problem, they do free testing, hopefully its just the PSU.

Thanks again, ill post here when I find more details about the problem.

Sorry for double post.

Got the computer fixxed, ended up taking it in and the dude told me that he thought the RAM was fried. I think he was trying to pull a fast one on me hoping I didnt know anything about computers, he tried sayin it blue screened and then said it wouldnt work. But didnt explain how he turned it on lol...he tried charging me for new RAM before he even fixxed the powersupply which i found out was fried..

anyway.. thanks for your help. got it up and running again!

In some rare cases I've seen that while the computer is unplugged if you switch the red switch from 120 to 240 and then back it works when plugged in. Do not plug it in set to the wrong voltage.

I'm not sure if that makes any sense from an electrical engineering perspective, and it could be a coincidence with something else, but I've "fixed" 3 PSUs that way that would not power up the computer otherwise.

Yes there is normally a fuse in a pc's psu. It's just following the on/off switch and in the 'live' wire. (That's conventional electrical practice).
When you pulled the mains lead out there is a very good chance the fuse blew.
The reason sliding the red 120/240 volt selector can revive a psu, is that dust will get into the switch over time, and moving it will shine up the contacts. Never do this with the mains plugged in, it will destroy the PSU.

I might be a bit late lol but for anyone reviewing this technical difficulty due to being in a rush or disgruntled is possibly cause my a electronic malfunction, unplug all hardware and remove the battery, press the battery for 5 seconds and then 3 times after than to let the pc discharge, and restart the pc after everything is plugged in, in most cases you can unplug the ram, add/HDD and all power supplies before discharge and then reinsert, pretty easy for , once the pc is bootable again, hit F12 and do some memory and HDD tests and running an sfc /scannow to check for any pending errors

Hello friends
For this problem just press power button and not release it, until connect the power cable to pc.
I have faced same problem and resolve with this trick.

Back