Computer won't turn on - no response at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackScarlet

I got home today and my computer was shut down. I assumed it was a power outage so I clicked the button to turn it on again and nothing happened. I even held the button down. It is as if it is connected to nothing. I checked the plug, it was plugged in, I even tried it on another socket and with another cord, still nothing. I thought it might have been something with the power supply but the light on my motherboard came on when it was plugged in so power is getting into the tower, but still nothing happens.

Does anyone know why my computer is not turning on?

I considered that maybe my master drive had died, and that is why it is not turning on, but im pretty sure it boots up to a certain point even without any drives in it, at least till the point where it says, error: no drives, etc. I've never experienced it not booting up at all, like it's not even plugged in.

Help?

I still wouldn't rule out the PSU, I have seen PSU's that will light up the motherboard light but not actually have enough to kick the machine over.

There are ways to test the PSU, by putting a jumper in the actual connector that plugs into the motherboard and using a voltmeter. But unless you know what you are doing, I wouldn't recommend it.

Other then that, have you, reseated all the connections on your motherboard? Sometimes a CPU fan connector that is slightly loose can cause this issue.

Agree with Snowchick7669... a light on the power supply or the motherboard means little... test it with another power supply... There are three sources of power on a power supply... the unimportant one powers lights.
Also, check your cpu fan.
If this is a desktop that is not too new, look for puffy capacitors or any leaking brown or rust colored dust... The capacitors are those little barrel-like units that stick up from the motherboard.
If you are living in a building that is at risk of power failure, you could have other problems.
The basic rule is that anytime you have an unexpected shutdown, check the power switch, and anything that gets power... Even a failed optical drive can contribute to this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back