'Confused and frustrated' Zuckerberg calls Obama to protest NSA spy programs

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Just a day after reports surfaced that the National Security Agency impersonated Facebook to infect PCs with malware, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg phoned US President Barack Obama to express his frustration over the damage being caused by the US government's surveillance programs.

"When our engineers work tirelessly to improve security, we imagine we're protecting you against criminals, not our own government", Zuckerberg said in his Facebook status update.

According to the documents leaked by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden to The Intercept, the NSA posed as a fake Facebook server to gain access to users’ computers for spying. Reacting to the report, the NSA termed it as "inaccurate".

Zuckerberg says Facebook tries its best to keep its services and the whole Internet safer, but the government is undoing all of the goodwill, adding that the government should be the champion for the internet, not a threat. He also warned that governments should be much more transparent about what they're doing, or otherwise people will believe the worst.

White House spokesperson Caitlin Hayden confirmed that the two spoke on Wednesday night regarding "recent reports in the press about alleged activities by the US intelligence community".

Back in January, President Obama announced plans to overhaul the controversial NSA phone data collection program. Just last month, a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court approved at least two of the President's initiatives.

Permalink to story.

I don't understand: why does Mark Zuckerberg get to call up the president to express his frustration? I wouldn't mind calling up the president to express MY frustration. Why does he have a direct line to the president's office, and a randomly-chosen US citizen-- me, for example-- doesn't?

I don't understand: why does Mark Zuckerberg get to call up the president to express his frustration? I wouldn't mind calling up the president to express MY frustration. Why does he have a direct line to the president's office, and a randomly-chosen US citizen-- me, for example-- doesn't?

Because you (and I) are not billionaire household names?

Politics is more about fame, money and power than about actual representation of the general population. Famous people get to call the White House and chat. We just get to watch the news and throw things at the TV.

Hehe, I find this funny.

Zuck is perfectly willing to invade his users privacy but get's all offended when the government invades his company's?

Oh just rich; he loves those programs, and he called his users a bunch of dumb f***ers for trusting him and ban all gun sales on his site. The NSA does not need malware to infect your computer, the technology is built in to your cpu unless you have a comp from 5 or 6 years ago,and can even place things on your hard drive even when turned off, by radio signal.

They had helped with the spying for years, and now that everyone knows they start crying about it?, come on, who is gonna believe in this?

Because anyone with a few billions dollars in loose change can buy a presidential hooker.

Oh just rich; he loves those programs, and he called his users a bunch of dumb f***ers for trusting him and ban all gun sales on his site. The NSA does not need malware to infect your computer, the technology is built in to your cpu unless you have a comp from 5 or 6 years ago,and can even place things on your hard drive even when turned off, by radio signal.
How does one write to an HD that is off with radio waves? Hell, there have been tests done with many neodymium magnets on an HDD and it did nothing to the data after hours of being there. A radio wave strong enough to affect an HDD would be known since it would probably affect humans first.

Maybe this will help explain it.

Copied from Wikipedia

Buckley v. Valeo, 424 U.S.1 (1976), was a case in which the Supreme Court of the United States struck down several provisions in the 1974 Amendment to alaw that limited campaign expenditures, independent expenditures by individuals and groups, and expenditures by a candidate from personal funds. It introduced the idea that money counts as speech, and prohibited any restraints on unlimited spending in US election campaigns. The Court upheld the provision which sets limits on individuals' campaign contributions.

The Big O probably invited Zuck over for a barbecue, a couple of beers and a dip at his spot to placate him a bit, not that Zuck is really angry, it was probably just for show, in fact I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they didn't discuss the NSA's spy programs at all.

Last edited:

Make sure that tinfoil guard around your pc is secure bud...

Ah, poor Mark.....:'( First he couldn't find a girl, and now this...:D

I'll be he cries...:'(... (and looks over his shoulder).....all the way to the bank..

First off, Zuckerberg is a liberal dirtbag who sides with the Obama regime, a rich one, but still a dirtbag. Second, who in their right mind believes anything the government says anymore or for that matter trusts big corporations.

Well, what do you expect? He voted & supported that *****!
Strother Martin had the best line....

Well, he wants it....he gets it!

"When our engineers work tirelessly to improve security, we imagine we're protecting you against criminals, not our own government", Zuckerberg said
Well, Mark, there's a difference. Criminals want to steal our personal info so they can steal our identify. We don't need protection from the govt against our personal information. They already know it all. Social security number... address... credit report.. it's not a secret to the govt.
So what exactly is facebook protecting us from? The creepy factor that they might be watching? The idea that maybe the govt is going to target us based on our political beliefs? I doubt it would bother Zuck if conservatives were targeted (again).
Sounds to me like he's enjoying the fact that someone besides him is being picked on for invasion of privacy and he wants to keep all the attention pointed at Washington and away from him.

Hehe, I find this funny.

Zuck is perfectly willing to invade his users privacy but get's all offended when the government invades his company's?
No, when you go to facebook you accept the Facebook terms, they might crawl in your information, like google does too. However government is impersonating facebook servers, so while you think you are using facebook services all your data is being passed first through NSA servers and data analysis, and stored for future usage too. That is something you have not agreed to, that is what hacking technique of man in the middle is. This is invasion of your privacy without any legal authorization. Don't you think it is wrong?
What wonders me is how jealous government is about it's citizens and internet users however it was not so enthusiastic and accurate to control banks and corporations fraudulent operations that caused the last economic debacle. Almost no one was charged of such disaster that turned upside down the life of lots of people. Banks and participants of such frauds got even more money from the people to heal the auto-inflicted wounds while regular people lost a lot the CEOs of corporations got even more rich and powerful.
So... in my humble opinion something does not look good in all this.

He is just upset the NSA took what he expected to be able to sell them.

Fictional conversation: Zuckerberg to President Obama "didn't we have an agreement that I would sell you xxxx amount of data for $xxxx? And now you undercut me?" President Obama "I can do that, I am the President. I can issue a Presidential Executive Order and make Facebook illegal, but then I have to consider the needs of the NSA."

Because Zuckerberg can lock the president's facebook account, you can't

Back