Confusing Internet issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have visited the Techspot forums many time, just for browsing purposes, and little fixes here and there. This is my first actual post, as I have not a clue how to fix my issue.

My internet connection and computer have always ran great... until a few weeks ago. My internet browsers now all of a sudden take anywhere between 40 seconds to a few minutes to load any page. When I attempt to log onto a game (I.e) WoW, it takes at least 2 minutes to log on to the first screen (used to be instantly) and then even longer to even get into the game... yet when i am actually on, it runs perfectly fine with no lag spikes.

I have scanned with every virus/spyware scanner known to man, my computer is 100% clean as far as they show. I have defragged, ATF clean... everything. Nothing was downloaded to put anything new on my computer... nothing. Internet works completely fine on my psp,ps3,xbox, wii, other pc... everything but my pc.

I have updated all drivers, and tried to run in safe mode w/ networking, with no results.

I even switched my wireless router over to hardwired, with no change. Does anybody know any possible fix for this? Or where I could maybe go that wouldn't rip me off for a fix? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Sfusinski

Can you provide more info about
  1. Your system specs. be sure to Include computer make/model/operating system OS version level/memory
  2. Also include specifics about your network card(s) and the drivers you have installed for them
  3. Indicate which browsers you are using and the version number of each (under Help->About for each)
  4. Look in the Windows Event Logs on your computer as well just in case there may be any clues as to what the problem is in there

/**** Edit *****/
Btw.. what version of Java are you currently running?

re:

1. Dell (not sure on which model, sorry)
Microsoft XP version 2002 SP2

Intel Pent 4 CPU 2.66GHz
2GB Ram

2. Network Card: Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
Driver: 5.398.613.2003

3. Mozilla Firefox 3.0.1

4. I do not know what windows event logs are... sorry ><

Have you tried restoring your system back to a date prior to when the problems started showing up? If that fixes the problem, something installed after that time probably caused the new problems.

re

I didn't install anything weeks prior to the problem, only afterwards, and those were just a couple spyware cleaners. My system restore is turned off for storage purposes. I am sorry this is turning into such a pain to try and figure out. Still appreciating the help though!

the internet has lots places that will install stuff, u never even know it happens. and u should never turn of system restore.

• Install CCleaner. Check its settings as you may not want it clean (i.e. delete) everything it does by default such as Cookies or history. Be sure to change its settings for both Internet Explorer and Firefox then click Run CCleaner.
  • Check that each of these are installed and up-to-date
    -> Java (should be Version 6 Update 7)
    -> Adobe Flash Player
    -> Adobe Shockwave
  • You reported on Firefox. Does the same problem with FF occur when you’re using IE?
  • When FF hangs/seems slow have you tried opening an IE window at that moment in time to see if IE is also running slow to connect to a web page?
  • Can’t say that your ISP is at fault but can state that several friend’s who’ve had similar problems have been using Comcast. Does your problem start occuring just after re-boot or seem to occur after some random after?

I will use CC cleaner when I get home. Same issue with IE as well. I do not believe my ISP to be at fault, as everything else connected to the network work perfectly fine, other pc included.

Did all of the previous, no change.... *sigh*

(CCleaner, Flash, Shockwave, Java, and SP3)

I still dont get why I can play games perfectly fine (except first connecting), and downloads work incredibly fast, as they always have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back