Connectivity issues with 3 USB wireless dongle

odriscoll27

Hey all,

Outline
A few months ago some friends bought a wirless internet dongle on 3 from a 3 store and everything was working fine until just over a week ago it suddenly stopped working for no reason. When plugging the device into my
P.C. the red light on the dongles lights to say its loading and then the green light to say its found a signal and connected to the 3 network but for some reason its not being picked up on the connect software. The dongle had been sat idle on my desk for a few days prior to when it stopped working

What have I tried
  • update the SIM - i have a BB on the 3 network and i have put the sim card from the dongle into my phone to check that the SIM works. SIM loaded up correctly and i can connect to the internet using the dongle SIM in my BB
  • My BB SIM - I have tried using my own 3 SIM in the dongle but again the red light comes on to show its loading and then the green light to show its connected.
  • Uninstalling & re-installing - i have uninstalled and re-installed the 3connect software for the dongle and also updated the OS to SP3.

PC Specs
The specifications of the pc are:
  • Windows XP Pro SP3 - did have SP2 when the dongle stopped working
  • AMD Duron 1600+
  • 760 Mb Ram

I will say that under the device manager there are two yellow ticks under "other devices"
Multimedia Audio Controller
PCI Input Device

And under "sound, video and game controllers"
MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device

Any help would be appreciated. I consider myselft to be reasonably good at PC's so if I have missed any info etc please ask :)
James

Hey all,
A few months ago some friends bought a wirless internet dongle on 3 from a 3 store and everything was working fine until just over a week ago it suddenly stopped working for no reason. When plugging the device into my
P.C. the red light on the dongles lights to say its loading and then the green light to say its found a signal and connected to the 3 network but for some reason its not being picked up on the connect software....What have I tried....My BB SIM - I have tried using my own 3 SIM in the dongle but again the red light comes on to show its loading and then the green light to show its connected.

Hi John,
I own a 3 Dongle and had some initial difficulties getting mine to work on comand
Mine is a E160G HUAWEI model I downloaded a "dashboard" upgrade from the 3 Download Centre
I also noticed that you said that the light was only Red and Green..mine is Green flashing to initiate-> Blue flashing means established a connection to tower -> Aqua stable or solid means that is ready to transmit and receive (active connection) now awaiting logon process from user/computer

cheers!

Hey,

Thanks for the response. I've looked into the computer some more and to be honest I'm just wondering if the USB ports are going on the mobo as other USB devices that were working are now failing. Either that or windows is corrupted somewhere . Going to try a re-install and what you suggested and see where I end up.
James :)

Back