Considering a more silent PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayRay

hi

My plan:

I'm gonna do some modding on my pc, and the reasons i'm gonna do it is to get my pc mostly quiter. and of course cooler. planning also to try some OC on my CPU.
when it comes to overclocking, i know there is a risk by doing it, but i wanna try it anyway.

My setup:

mobo is gigabyte ga-ma785gt-ud3h Award bios
CPU is AMD Phenom II x4 945 95watt
case Lancool PC-K56

My shopping list:

3 case fans
SilenX iXtrema PRO IXP-74-14 120mm 122m³/h 14dB

The CPU Cooler
Noctua NH-U9B SE2 CPU 92mm Fan 1600RPM 17,6 dB

About the case and mobo:

The case got 2 fans that i will replace and the 3rd fan will be placed under the DVD-rom with some strimlers to get more air in to the case.
The mobo got 1 cpu fan header and 3 fan headers.

What I need help with:

I have never done OC before so I need some guidance tru this operation.

The conclusion:

I hope my plan with the fans and the cpu cooler i've picked out will do my pc more silent and also able to do some OC

Any help will be appriciated.

When you're up and running with the modifications head back here and we'll get that CPU flying.

I OC'd my X3 720 with help from red1776 here so I'm sure he'll be around to help you too.

Hey Rayray, & Rit

I'm feeling kinda lazy so im going to C&P this from my guide here on TS:

8) Consider Overclocking
Okay I'm probably going to catch hell over this one, but here goes.....overclocking is safe!....there I said it. I as much as anyone here at Techspot always issue a disclaimer when asked for overclocking advice, and will continue to do so, however, I have been overclocking for 15 years...and I have yet to burn up a processor. And as anecdotal as that may, or may not be. I do a great amount of reading on the subject of overclocking, and have found that done reasonably, and while adhering to a few rules. there are very few incidences of burning up the CPU and other components as a result. The modern processor left at its factory clock speed is designed to, or just as a side effect of will last 10-20 years under normal use. and in that way it's a lot like an automobile. If you drive your car 10,000 miles a year, it will probably last you 20 years. if you drive it 25,000 miles a year, it will only last you 8 years. So ask yourself the following question: do I intend to be using the same processor in 5-8 years? if the answer is no, consider using the additional performance locked up inside your CPU , and as long as you observe a few simple guidelines, you can have additional performance from your system beyond the length of time you intend to have it around. Because if you're like me....and I know I am! you like getting the maximum price performance you can. okay I mentioned some guidelines, here is my take on 'safe' overclocking.
8a)Number one, and the most obvious.... keep it cool
Don't entertain the idea without an aftermarket heat sink and fan. things that kill processors are frequency and the corresponding heat , electromigration ,parasitic structures, latchup etc (and other things I have spent a lot of time trying to wrap my brain around). I keep my overclocked temps well below even the manufacturers recommended range.
8b). stop when you come to 'diminishing returns'
If your building an high end system, not buying into 'diminishing returns' is irrelevant, and a preposterous idea. however in building a budget and price /performance machine, it is imperative.
when overclocking there comes a point when you need to apply a disproportionate amount of voltage to get a limited return, at this point...stop! for example if you can overclock your cpu from 3Ghz to 3.6Ghz with a .05 increase in voltage say 1.30v to 1.35v , but to need to bump the voltage .10v from 1.35 to 1.45. to get to 3.7Ghz, stop there and keep the OC that required only the .05 increase. I personally am less concerned about voltage increases than the inexorable link between increased voltage and the heat that comes with it. if however you feel the need to push it further........
8c) adhere to the maximum Vcore voltage
both AMD and Intel have the maximum vcore voltage ratings that you get when you purchase a CPU, however they also have a 'really really maximum for overclockers' pay heed to these voltage regulations. currently for many newer AMD and Intel processors, these voltages are 1.55v (for AMD) and 1.45(for Intel) (verify that for your particular processor) be aware that Intel CPU's are more sensitive to higher voltage and its effects because of the high K metal gate process they use in manufacturing, as opposed to the silicon on insulator (SOI) AMD uses, however, they generally have more overclock headroom and require less voltage to get there.

8d) create a gaming profile (or a profile for anything you can't wait for)
you do not have to run your rig overclocked 24/7. We are talking gaming here so you can create a gaming profile in overclock software offered by your CPU manufacturer, or in some cases, built into your motherboard bios manufacturer. The profiles are also great if you do video editing or rendering in 3DS max, and the like, as I do.

alright then,
according to the system requirements you can make use of the AMD 'Overdrive' utility. It can be had here:
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/amd-overdrive/Pages/overview.aspx

and here is the dragon platform/AOD guide.
http://sites.amd.com/us/Documents/AMD_Dragon_AM3_AM2_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf

if your x 945 is not a black edition you will have to do a 'FSB' overclock. If you have not done this before, pay special attention to the voltages and temperature sections.
Let us know if you need help.:)

I've written an overview of what overclocking is. Its stickied in the overclocking forums (this one), and there's a link to it in my sig.

Has some useful links regarding voltages and temps as well, and some other bits which all overclockers need.

No step by step guide, as that changes with every new piece of hardware.

I know its written a few years back, but all the information in it is still as pertinent, plus I update it every once in a while.

Ritwik7 said:
''When you're up and running with the modifications head back here and we'll get that CPU flying.''

haha Lmao:haha::cool:

red1776 said:
''alright then,
according to the system requirements you can make use of the AMD 'Overdrive' utility. It can be had here:
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa.../overview.aspx

and here is the dragon platform/AOD guide.
http://sites.amd.com/us/Documents/AM...ning_Guide.pdf

if your x 945 is not a black edition you will have to do a 'FSB' overclock. If you have not done this before, pay special attention to the voltages and temperature sections.
Let us know if you need help.''

thanks for you offer:)
nice links, thanks.
My CPU is Not a Black edition
i've never done OC and none of my friends have done it so this will be the first time ever.

CMH said:
''I've written an overview of what overclocking is. Its stickied in the overclocking forums (this one), and there's a link to it in my sig.

Has some useful links regarding voltages and temps as well, and some other bits which all overclockers need.

No step by step guide, as that changes with every new piece of hardware.

I know its written a few years back, but all the information in it is still as pertinent, plus I update it every once in a while.''

You're sticky about OC is awsome and very informative. well done:grinthumb
I did take a quick look at it a few months ago
But now I gonna take a deep look at you're sticky and the links too, sinse now its for real.

update to everyone,
I've just ordered the things I mentioned above (did it like 10 mins ago). I may have it on friday.
Assembling these parts wont' be any problem(I hope). But the tweaking with volts and stuff, ain't my strong side. if you guys help me tru this progress, it Will be highly appriciated

thanks to all:wave:

btw, Techspot rules:grinthumb

Hey,

Just got the parts I mensioned earlier.:slurp:

now I shall put it in, and i'll be back in a few hours.

Alright, its done.

Did put on the low noise adapters (L.N.A.) to the cpu fans and are running up to 1300rpm, 13.1 decibels according to the manual.

danm its nosier now. i need to set the case fans at a lower RPM. and some noise mats onto the case.

yeah, I'm tired right now, its late here now and got work tomorrow.

god night

hi

yesterday when i complained about the noise i also notised the CPU temp went from 45 down to holy 31 celsius on idle.

down 14 degrees????
what an :evil: cooling

today
after applying the ultra low noise adapters (U.L.N.A.) onto the 2 new front fans the CPU temp rised just up to 34 stable at idle. and now the computer is pretty silent.

all of the adapters i've used came with the CPU cooler.

The temps is from 'HW monitor' SW

hey, Red1776

the AMD Overdrive is an awsome tool, just with one simple tweak inside ->Peformance Control->Clock/Voltage.
There is a slider called ''HT ref. Clock (MHz)''. i slided it up from 100 to 220, and the CPU target speed viewer rised from 3000MHz(no OC) to 3300MHz, then I clicked apply.

IT WORKED:D, but a little unstable. The hole computer froze after increasing it more so had to press the reset button. lol:haha:

the CPU voltage is at 1.30v and have not changet it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back