Constant freezing, possible HD failure imminent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been trying to error check a freezing problem ive been having however my IT knowledge/skills are limited so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Whenever I am attempting to install a large program (most noticably games) on my computer it seems to freeze at random intervals. In the past I would have to attempt the installation several times, each time with it freezing and requiring a restart, before the computer would manage to finish the installation without freezing. I thought this might just be an issue with installing from DVDs or ISOs, however recently I have been trying to download and install the Starcraft II beta off of battlenet and install it, and even downloading the patches frequently freezes me up.

Other forumns have recomended 'Deamon tools lite' as the problem (not using it so this is unlikely to be the case) as well as a possible problem with Gigabyte motherboards (needed to stop the gsvr.exe process and delete some stupid Energy Saver program that installed with the motherboard, hasnt stopped the freezing).

I have been unable to run a Check Disk as it froze during that. I also havent been hearing any sounds from the harddrive to indicate death, however I am still paranoid that this is the problem.

If anyone has any ideas I would be massively gratefull!

tldr - Computer freezes when installing games, is it hardware? What should I check?

Find the make of your harddrive. Go to the manufacture's website and download their free harddrive diagnostics utility. Yes, this can be run in Windows. Run the S.M.A.R.T., Short, and Long tests.

This will tell you if your harddrive is defective and in some cases if it is has the ability to fix bad sectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back