Continually loosing my wireless network connection... not tech savvy... help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had my wireless internet connected through a Qwest modem and a Dlink router for about 6 months. About 1x week, my I loose my internet for no reason. It is usually in the middle of me working, so there seems to be no obvious reason for the interruption.
I have a HP pavillion dv6707us; Qwest Actiontec GT701; DLink WBR-1310

I will do the usual steps...
network sharing center, diagnose... this usually tells me the problem isn't within the computer, to check with my admin (me) to diagnose connection problems.

Both my router and my modem's lights are correctly lit at any given time during the connection loss.

I end up connecting the cord from my router to my computer, but then, I'm wired, which is frustrating.
Usually, after a while, I can remove the cord and all is well, but not often.

currently, my modem show's the power, dsl & ethernet lights on, and internet and usb off. (this is normal for whatever reason)

my router's lights are a bit different, as I have NO idea what they mean, so I can only describe them...
The first one is the power button (circle w/line, just like computer's power) this is ON
second is full circle w/triangle inside. This is blinking
third 3 circles in shape of triangle. This is ON
fourth 3 half circles (pointing left) each inside the other, and each get's larger) this is blinking.
fifth is the LAN 1 computer, this is on as this is the one my computer is plugged into.

I have checked each cord, reset/unplugged both, and waited. nothing.

I can call Qwest, but they always tell me that they can't diagnose my dlink, and that they show me to have a connection. I can call Dlink, but they tell me I'm out of warranty, and I need to call Qwest.
I just want to be able to unplug the cord and move!!

That said, I am NOT technologically inclined. I try as hard as I can, but it just doesn't make any sense. I can follow directions, even if I don't know what I'm doing.

Can anyone explain what the problem might be, and anything I can do to keep this from happening?
thanks alot!!

Marianne

Connect that Quest modem into the laptop directly do you have issues still? If not they replace the wireless router with something else like Belkin N+ V1 very good.

As I mentioned, I end up having to connect my laptop directly to the router (not modem) and can access the internet, but then, I'm wired, and stuck in one very small, unmovable spot.
Connecting it via wires eliminates the issue, and I can get online (which is how I'm able to employ the services of this site) however, I can't unplug the cord without loosing connectivity.

As far as replacing the router, I would like to do this eventually, but currently that is not in my budget until it is absolutely necessary, and at this point, this problem is intermittent.

you reset what? The router and the modem? If that's the case, you need to get things re-configured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back