Cook, Zuckerberg, Bezos and over 100 other CEOs sign letter urging Congress to keep DACA...

midian182

Staff member

Tech leaders have once again come together to fight a decision made by the Trump administration. This time, Tim Cook, Mark Zuckerberg, and Jeff Bezos have joined CEOs from more than 100 companies in signing an open letter urging Congress to extend the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, also known as DACA.

The Obama administration introduced DACA in 2012. It protects young immigrants who came to the US illegally as children before 2007 from deportation on the condition they meet certain requirements.

The Trump administration said in September that it would end the program. But CEOs from IBM, Dropbox, Microsoft and many more are asking Congress to pass a permanent piece of legislation before the end of next week to allow so-called Dreamers to continue living in the US, so long as they are currently living, working, and contributing to their communities.

The DACA program is set to expire on March 5, but the signatories say the Department of Homeland Security needs time to implement a new program before then. Moreover, that January 19th deadline for action is the same deadline for Congress to pass a bill for government funding to prevent a shutdown.

The letter claims that allowing the program to expire could cost the US economy $215 billion. A study by the Center for American Progress says that ending DACA would see the country’s GDP reduced by $433.4 billion over the following ten years.

"The imminent termination of the DACA program is creating an impending crisis for workforces across the country," the letter (PDF) says. "Failure to act in time will lead to businesses losing valuable talent, cause disruptions in the workforce and will result in significant costs."

The letter comes after a judge temporarily blocked the decision to end the DACA program, which has protected around 800,000 people who were brought to the US.

Permalink to story.

Trump is a piece of ****, what good does receding the DACA actually do?

Another one of Trump actions to undo everything Obama did for the country.

Seriously Trump has done literally nothing good for the US.

Nearly half of these "child" immigrants were at least 13 years old when they arrived. A significant portion of them were 16 or 17. The most recent batch came here in highly organized invasion waves five years ago which were designed to overwhelm our Border Patrol. They've made no effort whatsoever to become citizens. They enjoy receiving public services thanks to their protected status and paying little to no taxes. The liberals have given them permission to steal from you in the name of stuffing the ballot box for their party. The Republicans who support DACA want cheap labor for their corporate masters and, hilariously, think they'll get some of those Hispanic votes as well. And middle class Americans are the ones paying the bill as usual. The tech barons have exposed their true intent with this latest bit of propaganda. If the economic impact of enforcing border security and immigration laws were anywhere near what they claim (it isn't) then that proves they are hiring illegals by preference.

They've had an extra 6 years and still have made no moves to legally become citizens? *sigh* Quit being a victim who needs protecting and do what you have to do to become a U.S. citizen!
Nearly half of these "child" immigrants were at least 13 years old when they arrived. A significant portion of them were 16 or 17. They've made no effort whatsoever to become citizens.

Wtf.....what?? Huh??

No effort to be citizens? Ya'll know that people under DACA have NO PATH to citizenship or gain resident status.

So a quick Google search on how to become a citizen shoots me straight to the USCIS website and tells me that they NEED to get a green card.

So I googled ways to get a green card:
1. Get a lawful petition from parents that is a US citizen.
2. Marry a US citizen.
3. Get petitioned from an employer.
4. Granted thru asylum
5. Alien Entrepreneurship

So based on these conditions, what haven't a child or teenager made effort in doing again??

I didn't know you worked in the White House! "Seriously" that is the only way you would know that.

Ya'll know that people under DACA have NO PATH to citizenship or gain resident status.
Then why are they here to begin with? If they are just visiting, visitation is over with, time to send them home now. Anyone that lives and works in this country for more than 4 years, should have some form of citizenship. After all that is exactly what they are, whether we give them the title or not. If we are not going to give them citizenship, why keep them in our country? I can tell you why. Or better yet psycros already did in post #6.

Then why are they here to begin with? If they are just visiting, visitation is over with, time to send them home now. Anyone that lives and works in this country for more than 4 years, should have some form of citizenship. After all that is exactly what they are, whether we give them the title or not. If we are not going to give them citizenship, why keep them in our country? I can tell you why. Or better yet psycros already did in post #6.

LOLOL.....What?? Huh????

DACA isn't for kids that were......"visiting". Once again.....another google search shoots me to NBC. I highlighted a couple points for ya. ;)

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/i...re-s-what-you-need-know-about-program-n798761

What exactly is DACA?
President Barack Obama created DACA through a 2012 executive order. The program has allowed hundreds of thousands of young people who were brought to the United States illegally as children to remain in the country.

A large majority of people under the DACA program are children...or in some cases were still children....right? That's what makes y'alls posts so frustrating. You're demanding alot from kids who literally didn't know any better when they came here.

Anyone that lives and works in this country for more than 4 years, should have some form of citizenship.

LOLOL...just be fortunate you probably NEVER had to go through this, because......NO, that's not how it works.

@Carmaine the article plainly states:
"It protects young immigrants who came to the US illegally as children before 2007 from deportation on the condition they meet certain requirements."
All the CEO et al, who wrote the letter also state the want DACA...
"so long as they are currently living, working, and contributing to their communities."
So why didn't their employers petition them? Why didn't their parents?

@Carmaine the article plainly states:
"It protects young immigrants who came to the US illegally as children before 2007 from deportation on the condition they meet certain requirements."
All the CEO et al, who wrote the letter also state the want DACA...
"so long as they are currently living, working, and contributing to their communities."
So why didn't their employers petition them? Why didn't their parents?

Let's address the elephants in the room with some facts that I'm almost certain of.

1. Most of the children under DACA are probably comprised of Mexicans.
2. These children were brought here illegally in some way from their parents, who also happens to be......most likely undocumented as well. So there goes your point with asking why their parents didn't petition them.
3. Some of these kids are probably using their newly given privileges to go to and concentrate in college.
4. Not every employer is going to simply petition someone based on nothing. It takes a lot of time and money out of the employers pockets. There IS a section in which people can find a path to citizenship through whats called "skilled worker". If the immigrant is deemed good to a business/employer to where they're body of work is an important role to the business, then it's up to that employer to petition them if they want to. But you can't expect that for every single immigrant in the country. There are probably some hard working and smart *** young adults right now trying their best in their field of work and even then, an employer has yet to petition them.

The problem with most Americans who were born here, regardless of their ethnicity doesn't seem to grasp how hard it is being undocumented. Asking them to role play it in their head and putting themselves in these people's shoes isn't enough for them to realize their struggle.

The problem with most Americans who were born here, regardless of their ethnicity doesn't seem to grasp how hard it is being undocumented. Asking them to role play it in their head and putting themselves in these people's shoes isn't enough for them to realize their struggle.
Your argument is growing tiresome. If you are not going to go through the legal channels, you shouldn't even be here in the first place. If you (or your child) are undocumented, it is because you are an illegal resident and the country owes you nothing. You are fighting for a grey area, that shouldn't even exist in the first place.

Put it this way. If we are not willing to give them citizenship, I don't want them as neighbors period. Either give them citizenship or send them back where they came from. All this red tape in between is BS.

Trump is a piece of ****, what good does receding the DACA actually do?

Another one of Trump actions to undo everything Obama did for the country.

That's because what Obama did by implementing DACA was unconstitutional & unlawful. That's a fact...look it up, cupcake. So yes, Trump is doing good by correcting Obama's mistake. And Trump's done a helleva lot of good in his first year, but you're not informed enough to know that.

Your argument is growing tiresome. If you are not going to go through the legal channels, you shouldn't even be here in the first place.

In a perfect world. I agree. Everyone SHOULD go through legal channels to come here.

But that's where you're missing the point of the topic. These are kids were talking about. How the hell is a child, not of age , supposed to figure out HOW to go through legal channels? LOL. They can't. Cause most of them are too young to know what's happening around them and why they were brought here until years later, when in this case, it's too late.

What, you think some 12 year old Irish girl is gonna sneak herself into the luggage compartment and smuggle herself here via plane?? LOL

Obviously the people to blame are the parents that brought them here illegally in the first place. Or in other cases, the parents bring them here on visitor visas and decide to overstay.

But blaming children? C'mon man....

I not enter America illegally. So I think I more deserving for not just breaking into country. I should get priorities before illegal peoples.

I not enter America illegally. So I think I more deserving for not just breaking into country. I should get priorities before illegal peoples.
WRONG - you come here expecting something, IS THE PROBLEM! You need to come here WANTING TO BE AN AMERICAN - or you can stay in or return to your 'home'land if you have a problem entering into our system, and the American way of life. Most of you left your country and came here for a 'better' life. But upon arrival you want to,, and try to change our country! You need to return from where you came, and change your OWN country.

Last edited:
Your argument is growing tiresome. If you are not going to go through the legal channels, you shouldn't even be here in the first place.

In a perfect world. I agree. Everyone SHOULD go through legal channels to come here.

But that's where you're missing the point of the topic. These are kids were talking about. How the hell is a child, not of age , supposed to figure out HOW to go through legal channels? LOL. They can't. Cause most of them are too young to know what's happening around them and why they were brought here until years later, when in this case, it's too late.

What, you think some 12 year old Irish girl is gonna sneak herself into the luggage compartment and smuggle herself here via plane?? LOL

Obviously the people to blame are the parents that brought them here illegally in the first place. Or in other cases, the parents bring them here on visitor visas and decide to overstay.

But blaming children? C'mon man....
Children haven't lived in caves for quite some time (at least not here) some countries well, that's another subject completely! They CAN and DO get sponsors to help them....... DUH

That's nice. The 1st language of the USA is English. Why not learn to speak and write it correctly, before you try to integrate yourself into a technical forum?

I have this odd notion that to respect your country, you should respect its established customs and language.

Moving on, hell, I have a Muslim church in my neighborhood that's little more than a citizenship marriage factory. In fact, I even knew an Imam, who married, (at least), twice for the money. AFAIK, that was $10,000 a pop, for churning out "US citizen brides".

People claim they're "coming to the US for a better life". Then they turn around and inflict the crime, poor living conditions, and some obscure language on us, all the while expecting to have their collective a**es kissed. Basically, they're reinstalling the same sh!t culture they claim they're running away from, here in the US.

Take the "dreamers", out of this equation,, and you have so much "wretched refuse from some stinking 3rd world hell hole's shores", sneaking into the US, it will be the death of it, if it already isn't.

And as far as Trump goes, he is what he is. At least he's not pumping our GDP into the ghetto to insure a steady stream of new democratic voters, like Obama did, and Hillary Clinton would have. Bill Clinton's office is in Harlem. If that's not pandering to the minority voter, I don't know what would be.

So now, we have a movent to push Oprah Winfrey for president. Why on God's green earth would anyone think being nothing more than an obnoxious, pushy, "professional black woman", qualify some afternoon rotgut TV hostess, to be the leader of the free would?

Last edited:
WRONG - you come here expecting something, IS THE PROBLEM! You need to come here WANTING TO BE AN AMERICAN - or you can stay in or return to your 'home'land if you have a problem entering into our system, and the American way of life. Most of you left your country and came here for a 'better' life. But upon arrival you want to,, and try to change our country! You need to return from where you came, and change your OWN country.

Dear Friend.
If you do not like me and your government give me access then is not your government "the problem"? It is your government making rule to let illegal people be in your country to. Be not mad at the illegal people being there because they have permission. If you not like it then blame on your government for allow this. Please do not hate on me. If my time is done then I go home. You are false assumption on my country. My country is great place. There is much opportunity. We do not have massive government debt wasting our people money. Our government get respect from our people and not complain and insult on leaders. We not on Korea nuclear hit list. We do not have people riot in streets for protest and destroy cities. And random people do not hate me there. Do not blame me your country problems because they are there before me. I like America, but my country just as good.

Last edited:
That's nice. The 1st language of the USA is English. Why not learn to speak and write it correctly, before you try to integrate yourself into a technical forum?

I have this odd notion that to respect your country, you should respect its established customs and language.

Dear Friend.
I try very much to improving English. I like Techspot very much and I respect USA and English. This helps me to get better by reading good English and try to write like that. Please do not kick me out Techspot.

Last edited:
Dear Techspot community,
Please let us unite in our common love for tech regardless of where we coming from and what languages we are good at. I want to be friends. We can enjoy tech news together.

In a perfect world. I agree. Everyone SHOULD go through legal channels to come here.....<snip>.........But that's where you're missing the point of the topic. These are kids were talking about. How the hell is a child, not of age , supposed to figure out HOW to go through legal channels?.......<snip>.....But blaming children? C'mon man....
DACA (according to this article) applies to children who came before 2007. It's 2018, I'm making the assumption that this many years later that there are few children left and that the overwhelming majority are working adults. That is a major thing I was trying to point out.

His English was good enough to get his point across, so he appears to be trying to learn English. His English was typed in a more understandable way than many of our younger citizens that supposedly learned English in our public schools. Grammar between languages is tough.

His English was good enough to get his point across, so he appears to be trying to learn English. His English was typed in a more understandable way than many of our younger citizens that supposedly learned English in our public schools. Grammar between languages is tough.
I'm well aware that hip-hop "music" is is at least partly responsible for destruction of our version of, "the queens English", and yes, that's caused by our native born "yoot" < (from "My Cousin Vinny").
Dear Friend.
I try very much to improving English. I like Techspot very much and I respect USA and English. This helps me to get better by reading good English and try to write like that. Please do not kick me out Techspot.
I'm very well aware that English is a bi!ch to learn. I like to point out that, (joke coming), "we call it English, because every action is an "ing". Or a bit more lyrically, "everything ings in English". And FWIW, I have the worst trouble speaking Spanish, because the object pronouns are at the beginning of the sentence, instead of at the end of the sentence to whom that action has occurred .

That thought in mind, I'm going to make your reply "ing as it should":

You said, "I try very much to improving English". That would be better phrased as, "I am trying very hard to improve my English" You have the "progressive tense" and the "infinitive" form of the verbs reversed. That is somewhat typical of all the Romance languages, where the "state of being verb "is" (to exist) isn't used in compound with the action described in the "present progressive tense"..<(an action which is occurring and continuing).

You should have said, "I am trying very hard to improve my English".

Broken down that is, "I am trying" < the present progressive tense, "to improve" the infinitive form, and most importantly, we need the "MY", to indicate whose English you are trying to improve. Otherwise, without the "my", the sentence would suggest you are trying to improve English itself.

As for the rest of you, I fully expected the responses I receive to my post on the topic. This is because you're all so wrapped up in arguing about Trump.....oh wait......Where's all the crap about how, "this is a tech site" not a political site, "why is this guy always writing about politics" GOOD question, at least I certainly think so.

However, y'all don't want to seem to challenge my first hand observations on immigration, which was the bulk of the post.

Since this is a topic about immigration, I add my actual thoughts on Spanish immigrants. I'd much rather live with them, that the inner city African American youth I do. While the Hispanics are working their tails off, tearing down houses, (But yes, working cheaply, and in many to most cases without permit, to restore sheriff sale houses to Section 8 rental status for slumlords), our home grown "yoot" are passing out bags of crack and heroine 24/7, and deluding themselves into believing they're doing the world a favor. So maybe our "Prez" <(colloquialism) should construct walls around our ghettos, and leave the Mexican border alone.

Now, I tried to get staff to write an article about the Space-X launch of a top secret spy satellite, which was lost in the Indian ocean last weekend, with Elon Musk crowing about how, "our rocket did everything correctly". Oddly, they seem to have not been interested. Even more oddly, that is an actual tech topic, and not this political equine fecal matter.

Oh and @cliffordcooley I've loved, and noticed, how you enjoy giving likes to people how are starting confrontations with me. Keep up the good back room "work"...(y)

Last edited:
Back