Cooler for nVidia 8800GT card

Status
Not open for further replies.

batigoal

Hi, i apologise for my noobness in computer stuffs as i once again need assistance.. I have a 8800GT card and it's hot so can anyone recommend me a powerful fan tat can hopefully drop the degC by atleast 10? I dont really mind if the fan is so loud tat it wakes my neighbour up coz i use headphones when gamin xD I have a budget of around $50 to $70 and really need a strong cooler to game. Thanks people~!

VF900 seems pretty underpowered to me IMO.

Also, I'm terribly surprised that my favourite GPU heatsink isn't mentioned at all:
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_314&products_id=6047

The Accelero S1 seems to be a pretty close rival, but this one has 6 heatpipes instead of 4. Not sure how much difference it'll make, but it can't be a bad thing :D Designed with 92mm fan use in mind. I couldn't find any info about linking a 120mm fan to the accelero, but I suppose its nothing some cable ties won't fix.

CMH said:
VF900 seems pretty underpowered to me IMO.

Also, I'm terribly surprised that my favourite GPU heatsink isn't mentioned at all:
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_314&products_id=6047

The Accelero S1 seems to be a pretty close rival, but this one has 6 heatpipes instead of 4. Not sure how much difference it'll make, but it can't be a bad thing :D Designed with 92mm fan use in mind. I couldn't find any info about linking a 120mm fan to the accelero, but I suppose its nothing some cable ties won't fix.
1.We're talking about a 8800GT here, not a 8800GTX.
2.Cost factor, $25 more with no fan
3.Giving up 3 slots for it, if it would even fit.

"VF900 seems pretty underpowered to me IMO."
I'll settle for my 40c idle and 57c load. No need to put a V8 in a Yugo.

Wow the Thermalright HR-03 GT, the Zalman VF 900 & 1000 and the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1. ok now i'm really lost on which one to choose lol. The Thermalright HR-03 GT looks really big n takes up 3 slots as mentioned by kpo6969 but i do have the space to spare i think. Not sure wad's the dif of VF 900 and 1000 but the 40c idle and 57c load does look attractive although results of coz varies from computers. Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 looks sleek and a reviewer even say it has "Amazing cooling performance". So conclusion is i'm stil lost. Lol

Okay, its true the HR03 is just huge, and may be overpowered.

Bear in mind tho that the 8800GT ain't a pushover. I used a VF900 when it first came out on my X800XT, and I wasn't too impressed I tell you, which is why I said its a little too small.

Go with the S1, seems reasonable enough. I'm not too sure, but wouldn't the S1 take up 3 slots as well if you add a fan to it? My impression right now is that it doesn't come with a fan neither, so you'd still have to fork money out for another fan.

Oh the S1 has no fan?? HMMM...from the pics it does look like it has no fan..oh well an extra fan doesnt cost much anyway. Oh i juz remembered something important..where is the source of power for the coolers? Cos my PSU is only 500W and it needs to power E8400 n 8800GT so i'm afraid if it might not be enough..

I'm sure we're just having a communication problem here, so forgive me if I state the obvious.

The fan you buy will cool the heat sink and the heat sink will cool the video card. The heat sink will not need any power to work properly. The fan that will cool the heat sink will have to be connected to your power supply or motherboard because it will probably draw to much electrical current to be plugged into the video card.

I think he's worried he doesn't have any more power points for the fan.

There should be a molex converter for the fan, which gives you an extra molex point as well if you're worried about that.

As Cinders mentioned before, you don't have to worry about drawing too much power because of the fan. Its not going to. You might end up drawing less power by cooling your GPU a little more. Either way, any draw will be negligible.

Oh i see! Ya i was worried that the heatsink/cooler might somehow need power to work. sorry for the stupid question. as for the power point i still have lots of it so no problem there ^^. Ok so the only extra power i'll incur is the fan which i think wont be a problem as mentioned by Cinders and CMH. It's decided then, the S1 will be my choice as it is cheaper than the rest(other than VF900) and offers around the same cooling performance from various reviews i read. Thanks guys for your help. I appreciate it =D

Hey guys, i went to town today to look for the coolers and guess wad?Of all the 30+ stores i enquired, only 1 has the S1 (and there were only a couple of them in stock wif lots of dust on them Lol) while all other shops recommended me the VF 1000 and the Thermaltake Dual Orb. I was very surprised coz if the S1 is really good, why did most of them stopped selling it? Is it obsolete? I think some of them might be confused on the compatibility of the S1 as the only shop selling it even have no idea tat it fits on new cards like the 8800GT (ok it's not exactly NEW).

Tat was very discouraging... Looks like i have to buy either the Dual Orb or the VF 1000. Problem is the VF 1000 is way too expensive as it requires me to fit the RAM Heatsink ZM-RHS88 b4 i can fit the VF 1000. Wif those, it costs quite a bomb. As for the Dual Orb it doesnt really convince me tat it'll do a good job on the 8800GT as it only has 2 heat pipes..dont really know how it's gonna affect the cooling but surely more equals better right?

The DuOrb is a fantastic cooler that gives performance more or less on par with the ZEROTherm Nirvana NV120, which is the current king of air coolers IMO. It has two fans versus the VF1000's one, and it will also fit in most cases due to the small size. I recommend going for it. You won't regret it.
Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

You might be interested in this:

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=493&type=expert&pid=1

I reckon the performance of the DuOrb isn't too bad, although I think the orientation of the HR-03GT would make a huge difference in passive operation.

I might be inclined to think the DuOrb would suit you better, especially since you mentioned that noise isn't a problem at all for you (and is where something like the HR-03 would shine).

Wow after reading the reviews i muz say i'm quite impressed wif the Duorb. The HR-03GT is even hotter than the stock cooler when it's w/o a fan! But wif a fan it totally rock however tat would mean extra cost..So i'll go for the Duorb den, i guess since Rage also recommends it. Alright we'll see how it does =D (though i wont be buyin it so soon as my exams are comin)

The 8800 has voltage regulators that need cooling and they arent covered by aftermarket coolers even though the coolers say they are compatible with the 8800. But there is a solution. Check out the review at HardOCP.com.

You don't really need extra cooling on the voltage regulators with the DuOrb, since the fans will be taking the hot air off anyways. In fact, Gigabyte's 8800GT comes with a Zalman cooler, no VR sinks and no RAM heatsinks either, so don't sweat it. It's not necessary.

glad to hear that cos i was quite worried that the RAM might get too hot. but with the duorb's double fans it should be ok...i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back