Cooler Master Cosmos II

Cool review. :)

It it available now? I can't seem to find prices in the usual hangouts I frequent in the UK.

Would you choose this case of a Corsair 800D out of curiosity? I have to admit that due to the hard disk bays I was considering the 800D, but I'm not a fan of the front of it. Dependant on price this could be a consideration.

Thanks Leek,
I had a lot of fun reviewing it. :) According to CM, it should be listed at any moment. and yes I would. I have spent three weeks with it now, and It is far and away the best production enclosure I have worked with. If the looks are of your taste, i would choose it over the 800D

Home server?

Lian Li V2120

I'd be inclined to take a number of chassis over the 800D after using one for a while. The ATCS 840 (if you can still find one) is still one of the best chassis around -styling, cooling, space usage, airflow. It does lack USB3.0, but that is easily rectified by adding a USB front panel - or removing the USB hardware from them and modding the existing chassis ports (not a big job).

anyone interested in seeing my project log of me putting a curved recessed window in this thing? LOL

Kit and CNC work, or getting jiggy with a Dremel and a strap heater ?

Wasn't there talk of C-M bringing out a plexi window kit for the Cosmos 2 ?

CNC, I have a close friend that owns a machine shop and has been teaching me the programming. ( they are id-iot proof these days and wont let you crash the heads anymore like the old days) hehe. the heater will come into play as the design i have planned is rather asymmetrical and will have to be curved as well. I will come up with the hold down jig myself and have him double check my programming. yes there is talk of a windowed option. weather it is a panel you can get or just a case version is unknown, but I have designs on a much more custom/split-pane design. (going to look like a 67 split window vette)

Good luck. Word to the wise; If you're planning on embedding an LED or two into the plexi for illumination purposes (knowing your predisposition towards LED ;) ) I'd suggest keeping the "seperate" windows as one piece, since you'd need less wiring/LED's as the light will travel through any contiguous surface:
Chassis side in profile and lying flat (due to TS's post formatting)

..................xxxxxxxxxxxx..............xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx----------------xxxxxxxxx--------------

xxxx -plexi
------ -chassis

CNC is the shizz. Just out of school many milennia ago, my first job was in a machine shop programming and cutting using plasma and water to cut steel and aluminium plate up to 3/4" thick. I still use the shop for chassis modding and auto panel work - their routing and auger tables gear down low enough for plexi work (edge rebate etc.), and putting a couple of gas burners under a steel work table make a very serviceable heat table and break

I suppose you think you're clever ROFL that is exactly my intention. however this not being a screaming "look at me" chassis. I am taking a cue...oh hell, i'm stealing your idea of last year, of a few strategically placed white LED's highlighting a few key components. probably one 2w white LED embedded in opposite corners of the one piece/split pane. ( and a piece of very lightly obscured plexi (5%) maybe)

CNC is the shizz. Just out of school many milennia ago, my first job was in a machine shop programming and cutting using plasma and water to cut steel and aluminium plate up to 3/4" thick. I still use the shop for chassis modding and auto panel work - their routing and auger tables gear down low enough for plexi work (edge rebate etc.), and putting a couple of gas burners under a steel work table make a very serviceable heat table and break

Hell yeah, I remember the first one I worked on was well before X-Y-Z, only X-Y. I got away from them for a long time and then was introduced to the water jets that will cut through 8" of aluminum...amazing.

Thanks Leek,
I had a lot of fun reviewing it. :) According to CM, it should be listed at any moment. and yes I would...

Sweet. :) You using it full time for your system now then?

Home server?

Lian Li V2120

I'd be inclined to take a number of chassis over the 800D after using one for a while.

A mix of both really. My everyday build come home server. I really don't need to be running my existing homeserver 24/7 as I tend to run the main PC 18 hours a day anyway -- So might as well just use that for disk access for the network and save some money by cutting electric and parts outlay.

Right now it works because I can move my VMs over the server and offload them from my Q6600, but once I've got this new X79 setup I should be fine doing it all on the same PC.

P.S. That Lian Li is nearly £400 on my shores. :haha:

Back