Core 2 Quad Desktops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
they're specifically two types of processors made by intel, core 2 duo has two cores, and core 2 quad has for, they both have many variations of speed(ghz) L2 cache and die sizes.

a quad wont necessarily give you better performance over a core 2 duo unless the game is coded and optimized to use all cores simultaneously.

a quad wont necessarily give you better performance over a core 2 duo unless the game is coded and optimized to use all cores simultaneously.

At the moment I think this is only on Crysis based games. I don't know of any other games that perform significantly better on similarly clocked quads.

At the moment I think this is only on Crysis based games. I don't know of any other games that perform significantly better on similarly clocked quads.

According to this benchmark, the q8200 and q6600 squarely beat a e8400 in call of duty 4, even though they are much lower clocked.

Interesting - I hadn't seen that benchmark before. Thanks for the update TC.

As far as gaming goes (and I realize a lot of people on this forum are gamers) then yes the game has to have multiple core support. The quad core is superior for general multi tasking several apps. Let's say burning a DVD, encoding Divx to DVD, copying files across a network, extracting files from a RAR all simultaneously. Clock speed alone does not determine performance. You have to also consider efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back